One Year Ago

@FourWalls (9960)
On January 11, 2014 I was in Chicago, seeing a concert. Neither thing is out of the ordinary for me (I've seen more concerts in Chicago in my life than I have in my hometown!), but it's what happened after the concert that changed things and cemented this day into my mind. I got back to my hotel after the show. It had snowed, and there was some ice under the snow. I guess you can figure the rest. I fell and broke my ankle. I've never thought of Chicago being "a long way from home" until then. As I sat in the emergency room in the early morning hours of January 12, waiting for the doctor to confirm what I strongly suspected, it seemed that Chicago was three thousand miles from home instead of 300. And, yes, it was my right ankle, so driving home was an impossibility. My brother came to the rescue. He took a bus to Chicago and drove me home. One of my concert buddies also stepped up to the plate, coming to the hotel and driving my car to the bus depot so my brother didn't have to take public transportation out to the western suburbs where I had been staying. Looking back, I think of how blessed I was. I fell about 20 feet from the hotel door, so I was able to crawl into the hotel (instead of hoping someone was watching the security cameras). Things were more of a nuisance than anything else. I didn't need surgery, just 10 weeks off the foot (which dang near drove me crazy). My neighbors took my garbage and recyclable bin to the curb every week and brought my mail in. They also took me grocery shopping, for me and my aunt...then took her groceries into her house! A friend of my aunt's from her church took me to my doctors' appointments. I'm thankful to be walking this year, but I'll keep in mind those lessons learned from last year.
Wow that's awful. Glad surgery wasn't needed and, you're still walking. I have broke my ankle before too hurts.
@FourWalls (9960)
You know the interesting thing? My ankle never really hurt all that much. It was my FOOT that was -- and still is -- the problem. When they took my shoe off there were three golf ball-like bumps on the outside of my foot, and most of my post-fracture pain was in the foot. But my ankle actually hurt so little that I had to ask the orthopedist to show me exactly where the break was!
@Morleyhunt (16661)
Having friends and family step up to the plat is such a blessing. I hope you remember to pay it forward.
@boiboing (12524)
• Northampton, England
That could have been so much worse. Lucky you had your brother to come to the rescue.
Oh I am so sorry that had to happen after a great concert but glad that this year, you are good to walk with both ankles intact and hopefully no residual pain will keep you from doing all the things you like , again
@cherriefic (4279)
• Baguio, Philippines
Good thing it's a thing from the past. Your still lucky you are able to recover.
@fishtiger58 (30737)
• Momence, Illinois
I know how you feel about being so far from home, My son was about 10 when the first night of our camping trip fell off his bike and broke his arm. This happened at about 9:30 at night. We had to drive like 50 miles to the nearest hospital. They put his arm in a sling and told us to go see a bone doc. My son had a hard time laying down in the tent that night so he and I slept sitting up in the van. We packed up the next morning and went home.
You are so lucky to have friends and family. I nearly fell in the parking lot a couple of winters ago. Luckily there was a car right there in front of me so I had that to steady myself with. Ugh! It's scary.