Women worse than the animal?

@vandana7 (57187)
I am a bit confused about Supreme Court of India's protection for animals in "Jallikattu" ritual.. Don't get me wrong..the court was not wrong at all in deciding. There are always some rituals that need to die a natural death, and if ever there was one that puts mankind to shame, it is Jallikattu and of course the cockfight on Sankranti day...which is tomorrow ..celebrated for welcoming the fact that the sun god would be traveling back from the Tropic of Capricorn. And so Jallikattu is about a sport for "taming the bull". What for? In the past, we needed it, now we don't. In the past, the art had to be perfected, now we have injections. It can also get cruel towards the animal...and we finally want to be human, right? As to cockfight, I feel sorry for the bird...the bird that dies gets cooked of course, but is trained throughout the year with a small blade tied to its leg. A lot of betting goes on, which in itself is illegal, but the birds do sustain injuries, and egos are bruised leading to animosity among the rich folks in the villages. I am for banning those alright. But my heart asked, if there are no precedents and laws for the judges in the Supreme Court to take a call on issues such as these, why did the judges hesitate in taking a stand against the brutal minor rapist? Surely, judges could have given a controversial judgment and then let the debate go on in the parliament about whether it was ultra vires or not and whether they should be allowed to take the society forward? My heart still aches for the lady who lost her girl and logically asked, why couldn't you all do wrong to make something right when he could defy something right to do something wrong... I am sorry lady...really sorry that politicians are protecting their sons, nephews, henchmen, henchmen's relatives, if not themselves. The court should have kept the matter subjudice and sent a request for clarification from the Parliament seeking the course of action to be taken considering that in common parlance releasing such a person would be gross injustice. And so the heart feels in India women are worse off than animals? There is somebody to fight for the rights of animals but nobody for the rights of women...
I also feel sad for the cocks and I agree that animals must be protected, but I cannot understand that the animals come before women. Women do not have justice in your country.
@vandana7 (57187)
In a country where murder gets 10 years what sort of reforms can we expect?
@vandana7 You are not the only country with weird laws. The world has gone crazy.
@vandana7 (57187)
@LadyDuck But only 10 years. The guy murders at the age of 20 comes out at 30 finds no employment continues his ways until he is caught once more..where are we reforming the person.
• Lakewood, Colorado
It is not only unjust it is barbarism that women get so little if any justice there Vandy. And yes, some people do think that the animal issue is more important than human life. In every country.
@vandana7 (57187)
Even in yours?
• Lakewood, Colorado
@vandana7 There are certainly a wide variety of people here Vandy..do not be shocked..
@pgiblett (6649)
Some of the decisions made by the Indian courts recently have boggled the mind. It is as if some judges have lost their understanding of how the law functions and fail to apply precedent.
@vandana7 (57187)
On some issues they follow the books, and on other issues they don't need the books to guide them. Very sad state of affairs. Feel so scared for the little girl from my neighborhood. I don't leave her out of sight even for a minute when she is around.
@pgiblett (6649)
@vandana7 I have been following some of the decisions and they make my mind boggle, it is just as if they don't know what the law is.
• Midland, Michigan
Well said. There are other types of atrocities still being done to women in certain cultures even to this day. I didn't realize your government now had supreme courts like we do here. It is unfortunate that the men in government don't consider the sanctity of human life like you said. I think it does take some time for cultures to get with it in the different areas. America still deals with some of that same thing in certain areas.
@vandana7 (57187)
I think if a minor can rape an adult, or another minor especially in a gang rape, he does not qualify for rights as a minor.
• Midland, Michigan
@vandana7 I'm not up on the news. It was a minor that raped the youngster? Are young people left on their own a lot in your country like they are here, from both parent's working and such? I didn't realize that was an issue there.
• Midland, Michigan
@vandana7 I don't know about much about the culture of your country. Is it somewhat banned for single women to be out at night without their parents? There is never an excuse for someone raping another individual, but it does help to be wise in one's circumstances. Did not the young man that was with her try to intervene or something in order to prevent this from happening? I'm not blaming the family friend. I know that women in the USA are taken unawares for purposes such as this even when they are in a better area of town. But here we have problems with young women on college campuses, and while I wouldn't want anyone to walk around in fear, sometimes it is better to be better prepared either by taking self-defense classes if those are available there, or to keep with the norms set by society to not fall prey to these types of individuals.
@thesids (22455)
• Bhubaneswar, India
What should I be discussing about? Jallikattu or that Rape Case? In either case, it became a game for the politicians. Nothing beyond.
@vandana7 (57187)
I was appalled by the film industry wanting release of those rajiv gandhi murderers. What is the country coming to?
@thesids (22455)
• Bhubaneswar, India
@vandana7 Sadly many in south still have solidarity with their Sri Lankan counterparts. And Politicians, and those who can milk that cow will leave nothing get aside.
@vandana7 (57187)
@thesids ..yes..they make our legal system so weak...for exploitation by somebody else. Didn't we send Indira Gandhi's murderers to gallows? So what went wrong there..
• Pleasant Hill, California
Cockfighting is huge in the Philippines too. I'm not sure how women are treated there. I'm still surprised by how bad it is for women in India. All the Bollywood films made me think Indian women danced gracefully and tastefully, sang beautifully, were a bit coquettish, and were deeply in love and happy. Sigh.
@vandana7 (57187)
Flights of fantasies.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@vandana7 Does Bollywood have directors like Quentin Tarantino, who show the...darker side...of Indian life?
@vandana7 (57187)
@TheHorse ..they have but everybody is keen to earn monies and so they include a lot of vulgarity in the movies. That sort of dilutes the impact because it is for lower classes...on the flipside...without such things lower classes would not come to watch such movies. It is sad..
@garymarsh6 (12100)
Those judges should be sack immediately for failing to uphold the law of the land. Women are treated so badly in India by certain people it is disgraceful as you rightly say to protect their precious sons. As for cockfights I think they too should be banned it is so cruel.
@vandana7 (57187)
I too think so. I would ban cockfights. They create so much anger between loser and winner because winner tends to ridicule the loser.
Fighting for the rights of women over the rights of animals should come first.
@vandana7 (57187)
It is not as if it is difficult. Political will is not there.
@artemeis (4007)
The cockfighting itself is a form of culture and tradition being passed down but of late this has been an avenue for underground gambling to thrive, bringing this sport to much disrepute and distasteful. Anyway, I don't have much to say about your legal system which really have much to be desired as far as protecting the womenfolks in your country. Right now, it has decayed to the extent that foreigners are not spared.
@vandana7 (57187)
Yes and none of the politicians even want to think about correcting it.
@artemeis (4007)
@vandana7 I cannot understand their incapabilities. Don't they have women in their homes? Even if they do not have wives, what about mothers, aunts, sisters or girlfriends? I don't understand how the law could be "retracted" to the extent that every women in India could be treated with a pair of polarized sunglasses when it comes to applying it.
@vandana7 (57187)
@artemeis ..this is like auto immune disease where the women folk join in enforcing the laws meant to suppress women. They do so to protect their sons, brothers, fathers, husbands, etc. They also do so to gain monetarily in the deal. Effectively, women who have girl children and want to do something for those girls are in minority. I don't say every woman is good, but there are plenty of good women who suffered in the past, and continue to do so in this generation, even with all the education.