The Empty Page (A Poem)

By JJ
The empty page stares back at me. Laughing at me, mocking me, Daring me to try to find the words to fill it up. So I lift up my pen (The metaphorical one) And try to find the words to win the battle. When suddenly, Another opponent enters the battle: The empty mind. Two against one, They make their mutual attack, Stabbing, slashing, Blinding my senses, numbing my soul, In hopes of an easy victory. And yet slowly, but surely, The words begin to appear: Crafted letter by letter, phrase by phrase, I take the battle to them, Asserting my will Upon those that would seek to thwart me. The empty mind is the first to fall As it fills with the words That will bring the destruction to The empty page. And now…the battle is over… And again, I am victorious. But I know they are not conquered, That someday soon, They shall lie in wait, To once again try to silence my soul…
a most enjoyable take'n writers block :) yepperz, i could feel the battle's it raged 'n that sweet grin 'f satisfaction to've conquered such'a beast. well done!
Thank ya, now if I could just get my muse to kick in when i do an actual discussion about stuff
@crazyhorseladycx Thank you for suggesting this, and I'm glad that you found it
@jaboUK yer welcome, ms. jabo!
• Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Very good poem, you should submit it to THE NEW YORKER. It seems like their style. And you captured the essence of writing perfectly.
@Namelesss (1003)
Epic battle and well won. I really loved this piece of creative writing. Excellent suggestion @crazyhorseladycx Hope you're doing well.
Thank you ma'am...so how are you enjoying it here?
i thought'cha might enjoy such, hon. 'm gettin' by purty well considerin' - hope all's well'n yer neck'f the woods!
@Namelesss (1003)
@JolietJake I'm really liking it here. Wish I had a bit more time but I'll take what I can get.
Thanks crazyhorseladycx for suggesting this poem to me. Well written and thought provoking. May your fight continue
My fight occurs every day
yer welcome, i figured'ya could relate to this's well :)
@crazyhorseladycx It's wonderful when users here know our taste. Thanks.
Very well written - a good description of something that happens to a lot of people at one time or another.
Much thanks. I just wish I could get more inspiration to write, it doesn't come upon me much anymore
@maggs224 (1774)
• Alicante, Spain
@JolietJake A really excellent take on Writer's Block I enjoyed it very much. Thank you crazyhorseladycx for suggesting this I really enjoyed it :D
@JolietJake congratulations on your victory writing warrior!
@DanciaKS (191)
I look forward to reading more poems!
Excellent! I am also looking forward to read more of that talent.
@DanciaKS (191)
You got fans now!!
@Platespinner (18096)
Definitely something I can relate to. Nicely written!
• Greece
A description of writer's block that really described the pain and the agony of breaking through. The happy ending was a relief. thanks crazyhorselady for the recommendation.
@shshiju (9206)
• Cochin, India
Beautiful. Your page is full. And Our mind is filled. In some of my exams I feel the same....Lol
Wow, that's probably the best thing you've written since I've been here!
Thank you
@Plethos (4847)
count your blessing that your hand didnt cramp on you !
I'd have to type with my nose or my toes...
@Rondout50 (218)
• Kingston, New York
My mind's eye invisioned a battle scene, very nice writing.
@nanette64 (13219)
• Fairfield, Texas
I have my days too when it seems there's nothing going on 'upstairs' @JolietJake . I sometimes think that 'the poem' can be the inspiration to a flood of thoughts.
@dodoazo (10281)
You are good in using the figure of speech, the metaphor and the personification. You make the actual paper has its eyes to look at you, to make fun of you, to deride at you for you have nothing yet to write. Then the mind which is not working. That's the beauty of poetry; that's the rudiment of making words talk.
@PainsOnSlate (19034)
What a fun read, very creative and entertaining. They try to silence my soul too but usually my motor mouth brain will fill a page but sadly never with a poem.
@silvermist (15827)
@JolietJake No doubt that it is a very good poem. I wish you success in all the fights you will be facing.
@valmnz (12657)
• New Zealand
What a wonderful poem. I can certainly relate to that.
@zebra2222 (4897)
Very fine poem about the difficulty of writing words on an empty page.
@softbabe44 (5958)
• Vancouver, Washington
Very nice poem