Does MyLot Money Grow on Trees?

@poehere (17417)
French Polynesia
What is it with kids these days and understanding the value of money? My grand daughter called me on Skype tonight complaining that he mom wouldn’t give her $350 to get her hair dyed. I had to ask her 3 times how much. In the end I told her to get a job. When we grew up we were taught to work and earn money if we wanted something. Today kids just think that money falls out of the sky or grows on trees. I remember my youngest brother wanted a remote control car. He asked my dad for the money and my dad’s response was “Money doesn’t grow on trees. You need to earn the money if you want this.” My brother was young and asked my dad if he ever saw a money tree before. Joking around he said yes but it takes a long time to grow. My youngest brother ran into his room and grabbed a hand full of francs and ran to the backyard. He started to dig holes all around our yard and put his francs in the holes. Each day he would come in from school and go to see if the money had started to grow. We would all sit in the house and laugh at my brother. One time he heard us laughing at him and told us when his money grew to a tree it was all his and he wouldn’t share with us. In the end my dad went in the backyard late one night and dug up all of his francs in the yard and replaced them with seeds. The only problem with this is that my dad did not see me watching him from my bedroom window. In a few days time a couple of the seeds decided to sprout. My younger brother actually thought his francs were growing. We had some beautiful franc flowers sprouting up in our yard. The moral of this story is that money doesn’t grow on trees you have to work for what you get. Do your children or grandchildren know the value of money? When my grand daughter entered high school she feels she should have it all. Whatever the kids do at school she wants to do the same. Even spending $350 to get her hair dyed. Just go down to the local drug store and buy a box of hair dye and dye your hair. Image source – pixabay.com creative commons Money tree
Your granddaughter..how old are you - you look like you're 20, you can't have grand kids!!!!!
@poehere (17417)
• French Polynesia
OK I'll let you figure this one out. I was 18 when I had my daughter. I gave birth to her not quite 2 months after my 18th birthday. She turned 39 on her last birthday. She has 2 children one is my grand daughter she is 14 soon to be 15 and my grand son who is 12 soon to be 13. Yes I can because young mothers have young grand kids.
@poehere You can't be 57 - I know that's not a current photo you said that before...but it must be older than I thought! LOL.
@poehere Well, you certainly aged well - good for you!
@pgiblett (6649)
No child should be asking for that much money from their parents and expect to get it. If I ever wanted anything that expensive when I was a child (probably $25 in those days) I would have to save the money I earned from my paper round.
@poehere (17417)
• French Polynesia
You are so right. I wanted a guitar at the age of 13. I played the violin in school from the age of 5 up. My parents told me they wouldn't buy me a guitar. So when I went to school in Hawaii to live with my uncle I asked him for a guitar. He said fine as long as I worked for it I could have it. I baby sat and delivered papers. I saved and saved for over 9 months. I then had just the right amount of money to buy the guitar I wanted. but I didn't have the money for the case. I did buy my guitar and my uncle bought me the case. I worked again to pay him back for my case. He said I didn't have to but I wanted this to be mine and I wanted to pay it all. My uncle was proud of me and took my guitar to the store and had a strap put on it for me.
@pgiblett (6649)
@poehere The point of course being that we both agree kids these days need to learn basic economics - if you want something you'd better have your own money to buy it.
@poehere (17417)
• French Polynesia
@pgiblett Normally she is good at this. She wanted a new iPhone. She worked hard and saved up all her money to buy one. She bought it herself. she has always bought expensive electronics herself. She normally has it worked out for her birthday or Christmas and asks for money instead of gifts. Before this she does odds and ends and get some money saved up. Then she buys what she wants. I think she takes better care of it this way.
• Lakewood, Colorado
Well first of all, it must be a very expensive salon also, as that is outrageous. What are they going to do weave gold into her hair? Yes, it is terrible to know that some kids now thinks money grown on trees Ann. I have a nephew that thinks the same.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@poehere It is too high a price. I know as I used to do the hair, but some salons are rip offs.
@poehere (17417)
• French Polynesia
@TiarasOceanView I think it is outraged myself. I'd never pay that much to strip and dye the ends of my hair. That is insane.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@poehere It is totally Ann.
My mom would tell us the same thing lol. But we had chores all around the house and it was kept spotless. So,we got pretty much all we needed from her.and even the popular items in style.
@poehere (17417)
• French Polynesia
This one is good. I did make my daughter work for what she got. I wanted her to know I was a single mom with a single income and it wasn't always roses to do it all for her. She never asked for much but she had more than what she needed.
good gracious if I had asked eitherof my parents for that muc h mone hey wouold probably faint first tenj tell me tp gp get a j ob. evem y 56 year old son bought a way t o expensiv e cell phobne that des everything but dance b ut now he cannot afford the m inues half the time me if I was going to get one whi ch I am notk it would be the one with the cheap est rate for minutes not one with all the bells a s whistles on it
@poehere (17417)
• French Polynesia
You are right on this one. I have no idea what got into her and why she wants or thinks she needs that much money to dye her hair. But for sure she not getting it from me. I put her to work on a teen website to write for them to earn money and had her download a few money making apps. If she wants her hair dyed she will pay for it on her own. She will appreciate it much more.
• Anaheim, California
$350 to get hair dyed? And here I was shocked at my cousin for paying $30 to get hers dyed! but yeah... does your granddaughter know the internet? She has no excuse to not know how to make money on her own now! LOL bring her to MyLot!
I definitely agree on this. No matter how hard to work, it is far better than ask money. When I was a child, my parents keep on telling us that it is better to save money and spend the hard money in good conscience. @eagletrek2 We can also try to plant some seeds of veggies in the backyard and make profit out of it.
Wow that is a lot of money to spend on hair. I would have told my kids to get a job too.
@poehere (17417)
• French Polynesia
I personally think the salons in California are outrageous. i have never seen something that expensive before. . I
@poehere I have never had my hair coloured. But for a cut and style I pay between 20 and 40. Canadian dollars
@poehere (17417)
• French Polynesia
@paigea This sounds very reasonable. I don't know why they have to charge so much to dye your hair. I think this was really going to extremes if you ask me on this one.
@patgalca (13962)
• Orangeville, Ontario
I don't know much have salon pricing, but isn't $350 a bit much for a dye job? I grew up in an upper middle class family. My father could give us everything but didn't. We had to work for what we wanted. We had to learn how to save money as well. When I wanted my first K-TEL record (not sure if anyone here knows what that is) my mother gave me an advance on my allowance for that $4.99 purchase. For my ten-speed bike half of my allowance was put aside by my mother. When I reached half the cost of the bike I was able to buy it with my parents chipping in the other half. It's hard for me now though. I grew up that way but because of my illness and my inability to work, I haven't been able to contribute financially. I'm not used to living poor, even after 18 years of this. My kids didn't complain about what they didn't have, the complained about how spoiled their friends were. When my youngest was about 5 years old she asked for a money tree for her birthday and my mom gave her won. She made a little tree (or bought one at a dollar store - not sure) and hung money from the branches. I think you can actually buy trees for this purpose now. Just so long as the receiver knows that once clipped the money doesn't grow back.
@poehere (17417)
• French Polynesia
I had the same opinion as you did. 350 bucks for a dye job. I ask her what they were putting in her hair. I got a 30 min speech about how they had to do this and that and how expensive the dye was. I told her girl no dye in the world cost that much money I think it is the new fad to have half of your hair dyed one color and the rest left natural. I believe that is why they charge so much for this. Give it a year or so and you'll be able to have it done for around 30 bucks. .
@patgalca (13962)
• Orangeville, Ontario
@poehere Still doesn't sound right to me. Getting a perm cost me $50-$75.
@poehere (17417)
• French Polynesia
@patgalca Me too but she showed me the salon and that is what they were asking. I was in chock too when I saw this.
@eagletrek2 (4971)
• Kingston, New York
Now if he was growing like pumkins he could have sold them I think that the only way you get money to grow from seeds.
@poehere (17417)
• French Polynesia
Tell my little brother this one. I believe he was around 5 or 6 when he did this. He wanted a remote control car so badly and he didn't want to wait for his birthday. Well in the end he didn't get his car and he had to wait till his birthday to get it.
• Kingston, New York
@poehere My dad had me trying to grow Bagles with poppy seed. when I was like 7 year old or younger. I now know how to make bagles
@poehere (17417)
• French Polynesia
@eagletrek2 Now that one is funny.
$350 is outrageous! Just to get your hair dyed? It better be a lifetime membership of hair dying to that salon for that price!
@poehere (17417)
• French Polynesia
No it's not. Plus on top of it the dyed hair is only half. The bottom of the hair is dyed only. I flipped out when she asked me for this much money to dye her hair. I told her now. I decided it was time she learned the value of money and set out setting her up a few accounts. She has starting to write for a teen blog site where she is paid for her articles. They only want teens to write there so this one is perfect.
@poehere I know! I know but for that cost, it better be. But I understand your grand daughters point of view. It is currently the hype and trend to get your hair dyed especially a new ombre hair style. And, most are dying their hair to "gray". I have a few gray strands and I am freaking out while everyone is dying their hair gray. That is good she is earning some money for the articles she write on the blog! She will have to write a little more for that $350 though!!
@poehere (17417)
• French Polynesia
@infatuatedbby That one is for sure. I'm sure after time she will not care about this anymore because it'll take too long to earn the money. Yes I saw a post on here about a hair dye job to silver grey and now they don't think it is right for them. They want to dye it again. Wow just leave your hair alone it'll turn grey soon enough.
@aju007 (1484)
• Thiruvananthapuram, India
Thats a beautiful story. Yes we should teach them the value of money. One can only learn it if he works for that. Your observation about today's gwneration is absolutely right, they dont know the value of money, they dont know the hardwork behind it. They are just concentrating on "how can I spend it!"
@poehere (17417)
• French Polynesia
You are so right. I had to teach my daughter the value of money when she was growing up. The way we worked and were paid didn't always mean I had a ton of money on hand to get her all she wanted. So basically teaching her young that money is hard to come by made a big impression on her.
• Greece
Peer pressure seems to knock the sense out of children's heads, even though they may have been taught by their parents to value money. Parents need to stand firm when children make unrealistic demands on them.
@poehere (17417)
• French Polynesia
Oh my daughter does. She can afford this. She has 2 children and what she does for one she does for the other. She can afford to hand out 700 bucks like that. Trinity will have to learn that she needs to work for what she wants. She is dong this now with some downloaded apps and a teen blog site she is writing on. She is earning slowly and understanding it isn't so easy to make money. I think this is a good lesson for her and she needs to continue on after she gets what she wants.
@AnneEJ (5118)
• Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, Quebec
I liked that story. I always heard that expression when I was growing up that money did not grow on trees. Today, kids think money comes out of a hole in the wall (ATM). My kids used to ask me to write a cheque. I had a hard time convincing them that you had to have money in the bank before you could write a cheque.
@poehere (17417)
• French Polynesia
That is too funny. I guess the only real issue I ever had was when my daughter turned 11 and entered middle school. all the kids in school wore Reebok shoes and she wanted some. When I asked her how much I almost dropped my jaw. She told me they cost 75 dollars. I told her she was out of her mind. I told her I was willing to spend 35 bucks on a good pair of tennis shoes. If she wanted the Reebok shoes she need to pay the rest. You know what she did. She went around to people and offered her help. Within a week or so she handed me 40 bucks. Well she got her Reebok shoes and she was so happy. But I made her work for them too. I didn't just hand them to her.
WE heard the same quote growing up. And we did work and save our money if we wanted something special. And we sure appreciated it a lot.
@poehere (17417)
• French Polynesia
I do agree. I was sent to live with my uncle in Hawaii. He was well off but he didn't just hand us over money either. We had to work for it and earn it. I use to babysit and deliver newspapers twice a week. We had an allowance for school so we could buy our food. This was about it. What ever else we wanted we earned the money for this. I had a horse and so did my two cousins. On the weekends we would go to the stables and clean stables, brush horses, and take them for walks. We earned money from the owners to do this too. We also had to take care of our own horses and make sure they were well ridden and brushed.
My parents never handed over that much money. At the age of 10, we were delivering flyers for spending money. At the age of 15 I was baby sitting. At the age of 16 I worked in a greenhouse over spring break. And at 17, I got my first real job. Aside from my maternity leave(3 kids), a small time frame during college where I was between jobs, and now the last year I have been physically unable to work, I worked and worked hard. You can't expect someone else to foot the bill.
@poehere (17417)
• French Polynesia
Oh you are so right. I worked babysitting and delivering papers in Hawaii. when I moved to California with my grandma I babysat for the first year there and was then hired by the government as a network trainee. I have worked hard all my life and my daughter was given an allowance for helping out. No free money was given to her. She learned to work young and she worked hard. Now if only I can make my grand daughter see this one life would be wonderful
• Denmark
I think one must start talking about money, its value and where it comes from when the children are still small.
@poehere (17417)
• French Polynesia
Oh my daughter has. For a long time she was the only one working when her husband was in school. But my grand daughter found ways around this one with her great grandparents. She could get bits and pieces of money out of them for doing odd jobs here and there. Like shredding paper or taking out the trash.
@kaylachan (4778)
While I don't have children or grand children of my own, I had been raised in a somewhat traditional household. While I'd been sheltered, I was also tought the value of a dollor. I may be poor at math, but I understand it well. Most kids today don't realize where money comes from, and are raised in a world where most everything is handed to them. So, yes, you should work to earn money, it's not going to fall out of the sky or be handed to you.
@ElicBxn (60052)
I do know what you mean. The roomie's nephew, who is almost 30, had to learn that you had to earn money. Not that his folks gave him anything, but he had learned that you could steal. He also learned that it doesn't pay. Learning to save, on the other hand, has been hard for him because his mother would steal his money if he tried to save it at his house.
@sugartoes (33818)
• Greencastle, Indiana
in today's world where kids can get everything they want, they tell those that can't get what they have & they don't understand the fact of what it takes to make money to give them everything they want. when you tell them the truth they think you lying to them so you don't have to give it to them, then you have a kid that goes off the deep end & hates you steals from you ext. I've seen it way too many times where kids act out to get what they want & the parents give in just to shut them up or spoil them till their broke & can't afford to keep doing it then all he!! breaks lose & the cycle of love has broke.