How Many Geocachers on Mylot

@Morleyhunt (19750)
This afternoon my daughter and I went out for a couple of hours to find a few geocaches. For the uninitiated Geocaching is using a GPS (billion dollar satellites) to find Tupperware in the woods. We found four of the five we searched for. In the last fifteen months I have found almost 600 of these caches, spread around the US and Canada. They are hidden around the world. I have a travel bug that has made its way to Europe and is currently in the Czech Republic. How many other Mylotters enjoy this worldwide game?
@Mike197602 (13513)
• Worcester, England
I know about it and have often wanted to do it but can't find anyone interested. There are quite a few people that do it in this area and they're in some interesting places.
@Mike197602 (13513)
• Worcester, England
what's a travel bug i've not heard of that?
@Mike197602 I think she refers to the itch to travel.
@Mike197602 (13513)
• Worcester, England
@ScribbledAdNauseum oh okjust didn't get the context!! i thought it might be some sort of gps bug thing
I have never played this game, I have heard about it, but I had not understood how exactly it works.
@Morleyhunt (19750)
I try to find something hidden at a certain set of GPS coordinates, log my find and continue on my way. It is basically a treasure hunt for all ages.
@Morleyhunt It sounds very funny, I wonder if there are players in my area. I am going to check. Thanks.
Is there anything inside the tupperware?
@Morleyhunt (19750)
Some of the containers are very small. Some are large . They must all contain a log. If the are large enough they often will contain some tradable swag, balls, small toys....trackables(travel bugs) are often moved from cache to cache. Not all caches are Tupperware, but the containers need to be weatherproof to keep the logs from getting wet. I usually place the log in a ziplock bag as extra protection before placing it in a container.
@Morleyhunt Thanks for the explanation - I remember you told me about it on Bubblews, but I forgot it.
I've heard a lot about it and know it is popular here but don't personally know of anyone who does it. What do you do with the items you find?
@Morleyhunt (19750)
If I find a travel bug, I will move it along to another cache. Some caches don't contain any swag or tradables. I generally just sign the physical log book and then later go to the geocaching website to log my caches. My map fills with smilies...the caches I have found.
@Morleyhunt That's sounds a lovely idea. I guess you see lots of new country on your travels too.
Have heard of? Yes Have ever done? No. Would like to? Definitely.
@Morleyhunt (19750)
Find out if there is a group in your area. Even me, basically an introvert goes to events with other geocachers.
tupperware you mean plastic co ntainers why on earth would they be cached in the woods? IM amused and confused too.
@Morleyhunt (19750)
Some are plastic, some are ammo cans. Some are teeny, some are gigantic. The point is to find the cache, hidden and camouflaged using the latitude and longitude coordinates. When you find the cache, you sign the log book and later log your find on the website.
I have never done it but it does sound like a lot of fun.
@Morleyhunt (19750)
It is fun. It is addictive. There is no real expense, I use the app on my smartphone.