What's your favourite Urban Legend?

Preston, England
Urban legends are stories people share as if they are true but which rarely are - the stories were told to them by a friend of a friend of a friend and the true originator of the tale can rarely be traced. Stories include the cat in the microwave, dogs in washing machines, a woman hearing a radio report of a killer on the loose just as a man frantically bangs on her car window - she locks the doors and seals the windows and drives off and finds out too late he was warning her that the killer is hiding in the back of her car ... My favourite however is the scuba diver found dead in the middle of a forest fire, having been scooped up from a lake by a helicopter with a bucket used to put the water on the fires and extinguish them - it never actually happened. Arthur
@UncleJoe (9947)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
If that really happened I'll bet the diver would pee on the forest fire.
@pgiblett (6595)
The bank robber who had a rocket installed in his car. As the police were chasing him and all seemed to be at an end as a dozen police cruisers chased him down a country road but he ignited the rocket and minutes later impaled the car into a mountainside as he forgot the curve in the road.
• Preston, England
@pgiblett sounds like something out of a cartoon lol
Sounds like a Wiley coyote escapade
@pgiblett (6595)
@paigea When I first heard it I thought it to be a road runner episode.
@boiboing (12518)
• Northampton, England
Most of these urban myths are just myths
@Rohvannyn (3118)
Well, that makes sense, since myth means "untrue." So does legend.
@boiboing (12518)
• Northampton, England
@Rohvannyn A legend is not necessarily untrue - but generally not PROVEN to be true.
@Rohvannyn (3118)
@boiboing True enough. Yet, I've heard very few urban legends that are true!
Well they are good for a laugh, aren't they?
mythbusters has done several of these, quite fun to see how hard they are to actually recreate
• Preston, England
I quite enjoy Mythbusters - a special one debunking scenes from Jaws was very impressive
@arthurchappell That one was cool, as are the duct tape and macgyver ones
• Preston, England
@Jessicalynnt yes though Maguyver is usually quite easy to debunk
I have watched planes scooping up water. I can almost believe it could happen
• Preston, England
the areas used are clearly marked and divers close to the operation would be able to tell it was going on
@arthurchappell As teenagers we used to scare the wits out of each other about this guy with a hook for a hand that killed off lovers in a lover's lane. One of my silly friends placed a hook on the car handle when his bother and girlfriend went smooching. When they got back at 3 AM and she saw that hook she woke up the neighborhood screaming. Ah, yes youth ain't it grand and urban legends.
@Rohvannyn (3118)
@RasmaSandra That is so awesome!
I've got a book in German with a collection of urban legends. Very funny. I remember one thing: A radio person in California invented a legend and told it on the radio. Then they watched how it travelled east across the continent until someone in New York retold it.
@pgiblett (6595)
I can believe that, like Chinese whispers.
@mammots (3279)
My favorite urban legend would most probably be that of a mythical creature we call "sigbin". Nobody has ever actually seen one yet but they say they are pets of witches or some people who practise black magic. There was even a time here in my province when rumors had it that somebody will buy a "sigbin" for millions of pesos for it to be used as medicine for an incurable disease.
@Asylum (48281)
• Manchester, England
I am always intrigued by how seriously people take such stories as the apple falling on Isaac Newton's head or George Washington chopping down a cherry tree.
@sallypup (27102)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Your final sentence totally got me laughing and distracted. I don't know about dogs in dryers but I do know a lady who dried a kitten. She thought the thumping was a tennis shoe. She loved animals but told the tale on herself anyway.
• Preston, England
ouch - poor kitten - hope it survived the ordeal
@sallypup (27102)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@arthurchappell No it did not. This was one moment with my friend that I could not quite understand. She loved animals and life with all her being and yet she had no problem telling grandkids this story.
• Preston, England
@sallypup the poor cat, though certainly a memorable story
@Drosophila (16711)
The one I heard actually is the "killer escalator". People with their shoe laces caught in escalator gets their foot shredded. Turned out actually happened to some people, that's why there's a stop switch by escalators now.
• Preston, England
@Drosophila that one is a genuine danger - rare but possible and a horrible way to die
@Drosophila (16711)
@arthurchappell ya thought it was urban legend
• Preston, England
@Drosophila no I first heard of it in news reports and I have heard of a few other cases of such tragedies
@Auntylou (4318)
• Oxford, England
It is supposed to be an urban myth that a person wakes up to find themself in a bath full of ice, having had a kidney removed for sale
• Preston, England
@Auntylou that would be pretty horrible if true of course
@Auntylou (4318)
• Oxford, England
@arthurchappell Yes indeed it would. Sorry to be so ghoulish but it is the only myth I know!
@Mike197602 (13509)
• Worcester, England
not sure if this counts as an urban legend but it's the captain pugwash books and their content. I could have sworn that some of the names were really sexually explicit and i've talked about it with my mates and they "remembered" the same thing. Last week i looked it up and the names weren't the ones i thought and apparently the author sued some publications who made up the myth.
• Preston, England
yes that legend lasted longer than the Pugwash cartoons themselves
@Rohvannyn (3118)
The main one I can think of right now is about the kid who drank Pop Rocks with soda and blew up his stomach.
I can't remember any at the moment. I can remember one but can't quite get it right. I can hardly stay awake so perhaps I'll remember it properly in the morning.
@IvySaysHi (4344)
I don't really have a favorite but I love anything that really scares me
Now you've got me thinking...