Day of Doing

@moffittjc (42059)
Gainesville, Florida
Today is the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday, a day when Americans of all races can join together and celebrate the liberties and freedoms that King stood for in his days of advancing civil rights and freedoms to African Americans and others. King's message--although aimed at African-Americans struggling during the civil rights movement--applies to everyone regardless of race or nationality. The struggle for equality back in King's day is still just as much a struggle today. But slowly, progress is being made. A new tradition on MLK, Jr. Day was started by President Obama not that many years ago. Obama wanted to turn MLK, Jr. Day into something special, something more than just remembering a man and his dreams of equality. So Obama titled this day a "day of doing," a day for all of us--black, white, hispanic, asian, etc--to join together and engage in service to the community. A day where we all work together for the good of the country. I helped plant trees in a park today, along with my children and several of my co-workers. We were joined by many others in the community, and our efforts resulted in hundreds of new trees being planted. Other volunteers gathered at local schools today to add fresh coats of paint to the walls; still others walked the streets and roadways and picked up litter and trash. Did you participate in any service projects today? Did you engage in the "day of doing?"
@Platespinner (16515)
Today was an ordinary day of school for us--as a general rule if my husband has to go to work we have a normal school day. However we do get involved with various volunteer projects when opportunity arises.
@moffittjc (42059)
• Gainesville, Florida
I'm a big fan of getting involved in the community and volunteering whenever possible. Another big event the kids and I participate in each year is the Great American Cleanup, which is held in April. Thousands of volunteers come out to pick up trash and litter in our community.
@VivaLaDani13 (18788)
• Perth, Australia
@moffittjc You are such a sweet person. I know I have said that a lot but it just has to be said over and over. I remember doing some things when I was in primary school. I think it was Plant A Tree Day. And another day we all had to pick up rubbish. So many children complained but I enjoyed it. Whatever helps the environment.
@moffittjc (42059)
• Gainesville, Florida
Awww thanks! You made me blush!
• Perth, Australia
@moffittjc No worries.
@moffittjc (42059)
• Gainesville, Florida
@VivaLaDani13 I never have any worries with you! I am always relaxed and at ease with you!
This is a wonderful idea, we had two days when we all join to do something for the community, one is at the beginning of Summer and the other at mid Autumn. .
@moffittjc (42059)
• Gainesville, Florida
We have another big nature-based community event coming up at the end of January. It's called the Greater Invader Raider Rally, and over 1000 people come out on a Saturday and go out into all the parks, woods and forests in our community and remove exotic invasive plants and trees. It helps ensure that our native vegetation and tree cover continues to thrive without competition from non-native plant species. It's a very fun event!
What a wonderful idea! We'll be 'doing' in a few hours helping clear fence-lines after the terrible fires to the north of us.
@moffittjc (42059)
• Gainesville, Florida
I'm sure along our western coastline of Florida people have been working hard at helping clean up, after 4 tornados struck the area over the weekend.
@moffittjc Oh my goodness. I didn't hear about these. Usually they are featured on our news and they might have been but I haven't watched TV lately.
@moffittjc (42059)
• Gainesville, Florida
@JudyEv They would put something like that on tv in Australia?
@Elizaby (3620)
• Pensacola, Florida
No as there was nothing close to where I live and buses were not running
@Elizaby (3620)
• Pensacola, Florida
@moffittjc I know locally that many were downtown for the parade honoring MLK Jr, which tends to runs several hours, but except for schools and government most all businesses were opened.
@moffittjc (42059)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Elizaby We had a big "march" in our downtown, but not in the negative sense. It was more festive, like a parade.
@Elizaby (3620)
• Pensacola, Florida
@moffittjc It is very festive here as the parade generally lasts for about three hours as so many groups have several entries in the parade.
@UncleJoe (9731)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Yes! I bravely fought the war on poverty by going out and throwing hand grenades at poor folks!
@moffittjc (42059)
• Gainesville, Florida
I'm not sure that's the way we are supposed to go about helping people! lol
@UncleJoe (9731)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
@moffittjc Oh? My bad!!!!
@moffittjc (42059)
• Gainesville, Florida
@UncleJoe How many hand grenades did you waste today? lol
@Marcyaz (35695)
I only engaged in staying inside and not going out in the -0 degree temperature. I have bought trees that will be planted in the Spring though so all was not lost.
@moffittjc (42059)
• Gainesville, Florida
Speaking of planting trees, here in Florida right now is the best time to plant trees! The reason is because our summer heat and humidity are brutal on trees if they are not established firmly by then. That's why our arborists are very active right now trying to get as many trees planted in January as possible!
@Marcyaz (35695)
@moffittjc It is to cold here to plant any trees.
@moffittjc (42059)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Marcyaz That's why the planting season is much earlier in Florida than in other parts of the country!
@LoriAMoore (4825)
Can you believe that I've never heard of our Day of Doing? I didn't know that. I'll have to do something next year.
@moffittjc (42059)
• Gainesville, Florida
Maybe the official name Obama gave it was "day of service?" I don't know for sure, but I have heard him refer to it as a "day of doing."
Well as long as the human race stays separate by culture alone , there may be a sliver of hope . . .