No More Phone

@patgalca (14664)
Orangeville, Ontario
Brilliant man, my husband. He just got up today and decided to cancel the landline and rely solely on cell phones. This is something we have been talking about for awhile to save a few dollars. However, he just phoned the phone company and cancelled it without advising anyone in our families and close network that we could no longer be reached by that number. I have emailed family members giving them all of our phone numbers, but he is going to have to call his mother. I've also posted on Facebook. People will have to message me to get the numbers. What a chore this is going to be. Do you know how many contests I enter and have to put my phone number on the forms? I don't want to give my cell phone number out to the world because I'll then be getting telemarketers on the home phone. Then there's the doctors' offices and probably government offices, and so many others that will need our number. Ugh! I can't believe he gave no notice whatsoever. Now I REALLY have to make sure I have my phone with me at all times and charged.
@topffer (36704)
• Bandar Lampung, Indonesia
I am keeping a land line number since two years that I do not give to anybody and I want to cancel it this year. Maybe I should have better done like your husband. Anyways, you always forget someone when you give a new phone number...
@patgalca (14664)
• Orangeville, Ontario
The only concern about not having a landline is that if you call 911 your address doesn't automatically come up on their screen. So if you have a real emergency you're wasting time giving them your address.
@topffer (36704)
• Bandar Lampung, Indonesia
@patgalca The number to call for emergencies here is not the same on a land line than on a mobile. The first one is the French number we always had, while it is a new European number on a mobile (it is the 112). I do not think that the emergencies have our addresses on the screen here. Anyways a mobile is supposed to be... mobile, so it would be useless to have the address of the owner of the line on the screen.
@topffer When you move would be a good time to cancel your landline, if you are going to do that. Then, you do not have to waste time and money transferring it to your new house.
@thesids (22351)
• Bhubaneswar, India
This is something we have been talking about for awhile to save a few dollars I assume that you were agreeing to the discussion for giving up the landline. If so - Would it have made a difference in case you were informed earlier about the disconnection? I am sure, you would still have had to send out the information about the changes to many who matter. And if Not - in that case, hubby is wrong and I think it should have been a joint decision. Your discussion reminds me of my wife's disagreement with changing her cell phone provider and continuing to pay higher bills just because she believed it was not a good idea to give out her changed number to others.
@patgalca (14664)
• Orangeville, Ontario
The phone company has emailed me and informed us that the phone will not be disconnected until the 22nd, so we still have a couple of days. Just want to make sure they won't disconnect the internet. We have phone, television, cell phones and internet all bundled together with the same provider.
@thesids (22351)
• Bhubaneswar, India
@patgalca Aw. Yes, in that case you should be double sure. Here at my place, I have a landline (I dont even remember the number well, as I have never given it to anyone). My Internet is via the landline. I had been using another provider but the cable one became expensive and services got quite poor. So I opted for the landline.
Just don't want to give the landline up. I like having the two landlines phones, one for each side of the house. I call every year to make sure I get a special price for it though.
@patgalca (14664)
• Orangeville, Ontario
All we ever get is telemarketers and we don't even answer the phone when we see those numbers on the display. If we're not going to answer the phone, why have it? Except I understand 911 won't know where you are when you call from your cell phone.
I understand the philosophy behind it, my sister finally let hers go a few years ago, but you'd think he would have given you a bit of time to make all the necessary notifications to people.
@patgalca (14664)
• Orangeville, Ontario
I am now emailing people. I have to do separate emails because I'm giving all four of our cell phone numbers to family members, but not to others. I'm not thrilled with this.
Cellphone charged at all times in handy. For my phone (iPhone) if I receive numbers I don't want to answer to, I can block the numbers. Maybe your phone has the blocking feature also?
@patgalca (14664)
• Orangeville, Ontario
I probably do. It's just that until people call me and they get into my contact list, all I will see is numbers and not know if it's someone I know or not (unless I know the numbers off by heart). It's going to be a pain in the butt if my cell phone starts ringing all the time.
@Morleyhunt (19330)
@patgalca does your home phone ring all the time?
@patgalca (14664)
• Orangeville, Ontario
@Morleyhunt Mostly telemarketers. But we do have organizations that we are involved with where people call us. And the clothing pick-ups for charity. They won't be able to call anymore.
@Elizaby (4195)
• Pensacola, Florida
Sounds like he got a phone bill that was the last straw as landline companies are constantly looking for ways to increase their profit line as more and more cut off the landlines.
@patgalca (14664)
• Orangeville, Ontario
Not really. We don't really have any additional phone charges unless someone goes over data on the cell phones. We don't get charged for any long distance on either cells or landline. The landline is the cheapest bill but a few dollars saved is a few dollars saved.
@Elizaby (4195)
• Pensacola, Florida
@patgalca My sister recently got rid of AT&T and bundled their landline with internet and are paying now about what they were paying AT&T and don't have to worry about the added long distance charges.
I couldn't give up my landline, because I use it too much. Also, sometimes I forget to turn my cell phone on all day, so people would have no way of getting ahold of me if I didn't have a landline.
@patgalca (14664)
• Orangeville, Ontario
Well, if you got rid of your landline you would probably be sure to have your cell phone on. My cell phone is on all the time and always at my finger tips so it is better than the landline... until a bunch of companies get my number.
@patgalca I guess you are right that I wouldn't turn my cell phone off if it was the only phone that I had. Still, I use the landline every day, so it would be a pain having to charge my cell phone all the time. In addition, I can use my landline when the power is out. I can use the cell phone as well ... right up until it gets low battery.
I have to keep a landline, Tony is not good with cell phones and he can talk for hours. I use my cell as my contact number for most places. I have had my number for around 10 years, the landline number for 15 years.
@patgalca (14664)
• Orangeville, Ontario
That's another issue. You can't talk on the cell phone for too long. It kills the battery really quickly. The phone also gets hot.
• Lenox, Georgia
Oh goodness advanced notice would have been very helpful in this situation.
@patgalca (14664)
• Orangeville, Ontario
Fortunately the email coming from our phone company indicates the phone won't be diconnected until the 22nd so I have a few days.
We are keeping our landline here.
We don't have good enough reception here to give up the landline although I know many people have.
no her words he jus forot tha part of it nil too l ate and l et you do itg lol wonder if that was h is plan to start with l ol lol