Another aborted holiday plan

@Asylum (48282)
Manchester, England
I have now booked a one week trip to Turkey, which will be from 2 weeks today. Meanwhile I have been scouring the holiday sites for something different later in the year. One excellent destination that I discovered was the Dominican Republic. The average prices for this place are far better than most long distance places, but it seems that it is not quite as idyllic as one would expect. As a matter of form I checked the UK Government travel advice website, not that it ever really deters me from travelling. In this case the reports were definitely enough to make me rethink the whole idea. There were several warnings about violent crime and the mugging of tourists, although I often ignore such things. The main concern was the health situation. It seems that recently they have had several cases of dengue fever, which is certainly not a very pleasant disease. This is one of the few diseases that can not only be fatal but has no known vaccine as yet. The website advises trying to avoid being bitten by mosquitoes, which is rather absurd and useless advice. Avoiding violence and dangerous areas is easy enough, but avoiding mosquitoes is virtually impossible.
@garymarsh6 (13199)
Avoiding mosquito bites by having marmite on toast for two weeks before you go. They do not like the smell of Thiamine and B12 complex so steer well clear of you. I was eaten alive many years ago but since doing this have never been bitten.
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
I would trust that normally, but not if a risk of dengue fever exists.
I have never heard this. Not that I don't believe you but it seems a bit too good to be true. I wonder if Vegemite has the same ingredients? I'll check later.
@garymarsh6 (13199)
@JudyEv Yes Judy. You could give it a whirl on your next travels although I would still use conventional treatments just in case.
I was going to tell you "forget about this place". We booked a two weeks vacation there... after 3 days we were at the airport finding a way to go to the United States before coming back to Europe. The mosquitoes are horrible there, the crime is pretty bad, but also the police is pretty bad.
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
A little late with the advice Anna, but thank you anyway. I do not deter easily if I consider travelling somewhere, but Dengue fever is an excellent deterrent.
@Asylum I am going to your profile and leave you a message about what happened there.
@Inlemay (16490)
• South Africa
I thought it was only in SA that the mozzies eat one alive?
I traveled there and never had a problem. Same with Turkey, Rio, and Egypt. One has to be wary wherever one goes. Just bring bug repellent.
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
I was in Turkey and Tunisia several times last year and the terrorism threats did not worry me, but dengue fever certainly does.
Much of the southern Americas have mosquito problems and few resources are aimed at eradicating them. I avoid such places too. Why take unnecessary chances?
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
I hate mosquitoes, but they do not scare me until they start carrying dengue fever.
@Asylum I avoid all if them. Too many diseases to mess around in areas where they live in large numbers.
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
@ElizabethWallace They can be hard to avoid unless you limit yourself to cold climates.
@LoriAMoore (4787)
I've been there and it was wonderful! Beautiful white sand beaches. But that Zika virus by mosquitoes in the Caribbean is a bad one going around now.
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
Mosquitoes are undesirable enough without diseases of that calibre being involved.
Just wear a lot of layers! It can also be a good reason to wear a Hijab and pretend to be very very conservative!
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
It is not the kind of place that is suitable for heavy winter clothing.
Hince the reason I don't travel abroad. Those pesky mosquitoes seem to find ways into even well screened windows. But if you spray a peppermint mixture upon yourself and your clothes you might be able to thwart them off, they don't seem to like peppermint.
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
This is one idea that I have not heard before. I will happily try most things if they have a change of deterring mosquitoes.
It works for me but we also don't have that many of them @Asylum I did notice that the ants don't like peppermint.
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
@rebelann I may consider applying some to my skin, but I would certainly not ruin rum by adding such a hideous thing to it.
@boiboing (12204)
• Northampton, England
When things seem too good to be true, there's often a good reason.
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
This certainly constitutes a good reason.
@boiboing (12204)
• Northampton, England
@Asylum Isn't this the other half of Hispaniola? Having Haiti as a neighbour would be enough to put me off any country.
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
@boiboing Yes it is, but why should Haiti be a deterrent. Surely you are not concerned about Voodoo.
• Portland, Connecticut
How about Puerto Rico? It is quite an interesting island.
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
Now that sounds an interesting idea.
I've been to Puerto Rico and it's beautiful. Bermuda too
• Portland, Connecticut
@Marilynda1225 I love Bermuda it is gorgeous and say in April would be much less expensive becasue the water is still too cold to swim.
@thea09 (18324)
• Greece
Have to say it isn't a place that appeals, read some terrible things about exposed buffet style food in the heat and crime. As for mossies there is that new disease which is prevalent in the south Americas and the Carb islands, it would ruin your hols if you got bit on the first day. You really should give the Greek mainland a go for an idyllic destination.
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
I hate mosquitoes at the best of times, but if they are spreading Dengue Fever then I will certainly keep well away.
@kaka135 (13989)
Yes, I don't think it's easy to avoid being bitten by mosquitoes, unless we hide ourselves inside the hotel room for all day long or perhaps apply the mosquito repellent solution all over our body, but that cannot be sure mosquitoes won't come to us as well. Hope you will get to find another good holiday destination soon. It seems like it's not easy to book a vacation.
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
At least there was no danger of mosquitoes when I visited Central Siberia many years ago.
• Midland, Michigan
Do you go on holiday to mostly try to see a bit of the 'world'? You pick interesting places to visit. Does Turkey have tourist attractions, I've never heard of anyone going there for vacation.
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
It has been very popular at times and I visited Turkey several times last year.
@scheng1 (24811)
You might as well take cruise! I think after the Paris incident, cruise liners are having deep discount for Europe trip. You can travel multiple countries in one single cruise, and you do not have to worry about extra cost if you do not plan to play in the casino or take shore excursion. I am sure you can roam around the port.
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
A cruise is one thing that I have never considered.
@shshiju (10318)
• Cochin, India
Dengue fever is one of the dangerous one. Patient health may go serious within days if dengue captures. And it is not practical that to escape from dengue mosquitoes when they are attacking.
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
It is virtually impossible to avoid mosquitoes, which is the real problem.
Good you found out about it before your plans got finalised.
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
It would have been much worse had I travelled there and found out the hard way.
• Eugene, Oregon
My wife lived in Turkey for nine years as a teacher on US air force bases and would love to see it again. There seems to be some unrest there these days. I hope you write about the trip.
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
There is unrest in all countries these days, so I will not let that deter me.
Be careful over there. Too much stuff going on.
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
I will not be going there under those circumstances, so now I am back to holiday hunting.
One of our couch-surfers had recovered from dengue fever but was very worried about getting it a second time as apparently each time it gets much worse.
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
Apparently mild cases will clear in a few weeks, but a serious infection is both fatal and untreatable.
@Platespinner (16530)
My daughter spent a week there with our church youth group in the summer of 2014. It was quite an eye-opener for her.
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
Judging by the reports that I have heard, that is not very surprising.
Dominican Republic: would not go there/
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
As it now turns out I will definitely not be going there.