Hungry....but it's too early to eat

After a trip to the kitchen and opening and shutting the cabinets and refrigerator I realized that although I'm hungry it's too early to eat my dinner. It's also too late for a snack. I'm caught in the early evening snack attack mode and am trying hard to resist eating something. I just made myself a nice cup of flavored coffee (boston cream donut...Kcup) and it's taken the edge off my hunger just enough to help me get through to the dinner hour. I hate days like this when I feel hungry and the restlessness winds up as a high calorie snack attack.
@salonga (27955)
I find it hard to control eating when I am hungry. My tendency is to eat even if it is still too early for dinner, then I just drink lots of water so I won't eat anymore during dinner time.
I try to hold off when it's close to dinner so I don't overeat and ruin my healthy meal with junk food
It's so cold that I am drinking more coffee than usual, but I avoid snacks.
I've been drinking coffee & tea to offset both the cold and the urge to snack
Even if they are healthy snacks @LadyDuck ?
@enlightenedpsych2 I never eat anything between the meals. Not even healthy snacks, I do not eat very much, the breakfast, lunch and dinner are more than enough.
@Marcyaz (35591)
I have been snacking since lunch and I am still hungry so might just have some ice cream.
I love ice cream (that's my treat for after dinner when I'm watching my favorite tv show)
@Marcyaz (35591)
@Marilynda1225 It is a good treat to have.
coffee sounds fantastic right now
actually it hit the spot
Do you have to stick to set meal times because of your mother?
@jabouk no Janet my mom eats her big meal in the middle of the day and I just cook for myself at night. I usually don't eat until she's settled and watching tv and then after dinner I get her ready for bed.
@Marilynda1225 Thanks for explaining. It must be difficult sometimes having to look after her 24/7
@jaboUK It is very difficult and I pray a lot
I had a time like that this afternoon, and munched on some apple slices. They tasted good and tied me over and to be honest with you, here it is 8pm and I haven't even had my supper yet. And surprisingly enough, I am not even hungry for supper!
Sounds like your apple slices worked like magic!
@Marilynda1225 Most people don't realize that if you have fresh apples, peel and slice them and put them in an airtight bowl they will not brown during the day. Its nice to open the lid and have a slice or two when I feel a bit hungry, its a good snack and as handy as chips or anything unhealthy.
I agree. I hate days like that. Those are my hunger days when I can't seem to get enough to eat, and then the next day everything is back to normal. I typically eat about a meal and a half. Breakfast and a light supper. Even today I've barely eaten anything, and I'm not hungry, though I should think about making something to eat.
Do you ever wonder why some days you're hungrier than others? I find the same thing
@Marilynda1225 I think it's from my days when I didn't have the money to go out and get food any time I needed to. So I started eating less. It got to be a habit, but there are days when I just need to eat and am in the fridge or cupboards all day long. I don't always find anything or specifically, nothing attracts so I end up not having anything. I wish my eating habits worked to lose weight, unfortunately it hasn't.
@sallypup (29427)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Snacks don't rule? Why can't I have that, huh, Mom? I probably would have whined that when I was a kid but my Mom let me get away with so much that I didn't have to bother. I'm hoping you are eating a good dinner now and preparing for dessert.
I was able to hold off and cook dinner so happy that I didn't give into that snack attack
@sallypup (29427)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Marilynda1225 At least cooking is sometimes a distraction.
Yes I think we all have that time in the afternoon when we know we shouldn't snack but we really want one!!
It's hard sometimes to resist the temptation isn't it
@Blondie2222 (22766)
Well you could eat something healthy and a light snack wouldn't hurt. I try not to snack thru the day and if i do it's healthy stuff like strawberries, cantaloupe, string cheese etc.
A healthy snack would be a perfect alternative but unfortunately I haven't shopped & don't really have much in the house right now
This is a bad time for me too. Waiting for my dinner and snacking too much in the lead-up. I drink a glass of water in the hope that it will make me feel full.
Usually a big glass of water or coffee/tea will hold off the urge for a snack
I hear you. I was only able to eat part of my plate of spaghetti and, a piece of garlic bread. I put the rest back in the fridge for later.
Spaghetti and garlic bread sound delicious!!
I am feeling hungry too. Our dinner is in the oven, but not ready yet.
Sometimes that hour or so before dinner is my hungry trap
We had to go out for an early dinner with my brother and his wife, because we had a board meeting to attend. Going out to dinner tonight. It's funny, but I am never hungry until I sit down to eat, no matter the meal or the time. Fresh fruit would be a good alternative.
I don't like this either.
@garymarsh6 (14609)
I have yet to eat anything and now I am beginning to get really hungry. I have just come back from the dentist so have not eaten all day and with my mouth all numb I think it is going to be a few hours before I dare try anything yet.
@Shiva49 (14301)
When I am hungry I eat or have a drink - not worry much about the time - siva
@whiteream (3800)
I have been drinking more coffee these days but that's because of the cold weather. I do make sure I am drinking plenty of water as well.