More Local History

@UncleJoe (7767)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
I received a comment on a post the other day from a contact in England inquiring as to where in the world Virginia Beach is located. After replying that very close by is the site where the first English settlers touched land in the New World on May 26, 1607. This is where the United States of America began. My reply prompted the poster to suggest that I do a few post on this event as well as other local history. Being somewhat of a local history buff, I have gleaned some very interesting historical detail from our local library over the years. Those early days were well recorded. A man named George Percy, who was kind of the group’s secretary, was with the first landing party that came ashore in search of fresh water. He wrote that while hiking through the tall pine forest about half a mile from the ship, they came upon a small group of Native Americans, who called themselves the Chesipioc, (Which is where the name Chesapeake derives), who were roasting oysters over a small fire. Naturally they were surprised at this encounter, but not nearly as much as those poor Indians. Here they were getting ready to kick back and enjoy a feast when these really strange, ghostly looking men came marching out of the forest. I’m sure the soldiers with armor totally freaked them out. Those poor savages took off running for dear life, so scared out of their wits that they completely forgot that lunch was ready. George Percy recorded the fact that those oysters the Indians left behind were “Sweet and goodly to the taste” in his diary. Good old George! He was the first one in the new Colony to die of malaria. He didn’t write much after that.
when people ask me where things are I am always tempted to reply "over there"
That was a sad end for George. Lucky he enjoyed the oysters first.
I went to Virginia Beach for a swim one day years back. We unfortunately didn't get to swim. The water was to choppy, murky and just unswimable.
@Platespinner (17587)
Such a shame that he gave up writing....think of the stories he could have shared.
@AnneEJ (5128)
• Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, Quebec
Thanks for sharing that information. It is always nice to hear local history