The Aftermath Of Addiction For Family And Addict

While I know this is a bit of a 'limited' topic for some, it is a problem of great need for many. As I read a post by @Ladypeace about Addiction and Divorce, I realized that it has been a while since I shared a bit of the soul of my experiences. I am a recovering compulsive gambler who has developed a heart for those who are caught in the web created by the addiction. So much so that after stopping on November 21, 2007 I began a journey to develop material and spread hope for recovery. My addiction cost me money, but that is not the loss that was the worst. I also lost myself and that is the soul of an addicts pain when they start recovery. I know I lost a lot of money but I can't really tell you how much because during that time it was not valuable enough to stop me. I almost lost my job and that brought down a reality about who I had become, but not what I had become. I lost my sanity for a time, but that was not even on my radar. I almost lost my life and THAT brought it home, but did not help me stop. Life has twists and turns. Addiction is one of the most insidious. What would you do for your favorite food? Do you have a favorite restaurant? How about a part of your life (gift, heirloom, person) that you would do anything for? Picture losing that in a blink of an eye and repeating that moment for the rest of your life over and over. That is what it feels like when you are an addict and you have started recovery. For months, years or longer that is where you may be. When I started recovery I was there for almost 3 years. I fought back and found sanity again. Now I use my background to help people get to that place where recovery is free of the insanity of repeating the pain. I am asking for topics you would like to have me talk about here. What questions haunt you about the person you know, or that you have become in addiction?
hmmn, maybe other problems that come with addictions or contribute too.
@Jessicalynnt I can easily do that one! Often there is a connection to Depression, most functional forms of Autism and many other Mental Health issues. Health is drastically affected to!
@Berniezeitler self image, anxiety, weight, all kinds of things I am sure
@Auntylou (4410)
• Oxford, England
The only things in my life I would do anything for are my family and closest friends. Don't think that counts as addiction!
@Auntylou It doesn't qualify as an addiction in my book. It does happen to be the reason some Compulsive Gamblers gamble though. THey want to have 'enough money' to take care of them. At some point it goes off the rails though.
@alberello75 (12985)
• Genova, Italy
Dear Bernie, I see in you now, a wise person! I see you during your life, you've been through various problems. As you know I am a disabled person, where unfortunately OCD seems to not want to leave me! Besides this I am full of fears to other people. One above all, the fear of my brother, who is 11 years younger than me! (Little but overbearing!) Would you have something to suggest me in this regard?
@alberello75 I can write something on this topic. Many of the situations you are describing are related to each other and in some repect tie into an addictive nature as well.
@alberello75 (12985)
• Genova, Italy
@Berniezeitler Well, I thank you for your interest in me. But if these problems, I was not able to resolve in 40 years, I have idea who, unfortunately with these issues, I will have to learn to live with.
My Dad has been gambling his whole life, it's the one thing he's never been able to quit. I am glad you were able to stop. I have quit drinking and, smoking.
@TRBRocks420 It sounds like you inherited the predisposition. Thankfully you were able to stop! I'm sorry about your dad. That has to be very tough.
@Ladypeace (2076)
Thank you for sharing this is beautiful.
@Ladypeace No thanks necessary. I have become aware that only through sharing can I find peace. Only through sharing openly can I be helpful to anyone!