Travel List for Safari

@Inlemay (16520)
South Africa
Did you know: the word Safari means: Derived from Swahili . . An overland expedition. A journey or trip in Africa and is from Arabic safariya, from safara to travel. As I make up my travel list for the anticipated 14 day Safari in three African Countries, I have to keep my head afloat and ensure I have it all listed as resources are limited once we cross the boarders . . . . and whatever we dont have - we wont have for the duration. We are doing a few bucket list adventures on this Safari so I am getting excited. One is Hot Air Ballooning over the Desert . . . as my photo depicts - this will be the region we will be visiting in Namibia Do you make up travel lists? Someone once said - pack your bags and then remove half the stuff - because one never needs everything one packs - would you agree?
I've heard this too. Mostly we take way too much stuff. I always make lists of all sorts of things.
@Inlemay (16520)
• South Africa
Wait till my hubby finds out I am taking half his stuff out too - ha ha ha - he always packs far too many pairs of shoes
@Inlemay Too many pairs of shoes - in his opinion or your opinion?
@Inlemay (16520)
• South Africa
@JudyEv both - he always says that when we arrive at our destination - Oh I brought too many shoes - ha ha ha
Sounds like a lot of fun, but also very scary.
@Inlemay (16520)
• South Africa
all travel and adventures have a little scariness in them . . . but I shall brave the ones I think I can do! I would never climb a mountain - that is scary
@Inlemay Yeah, I hate anything to do with heights, but I know some people love it.
@Inlemay (16520)
• South Africa
@TRBRocks420 No I am Acrophobia (afraid of heights) but only when I cannot see the bottom of the floor, or stairs, or other
I am excited for you with this Safari trip of yours . I hope you can post pictures here when that happens .
@Inlemay (16520)
• South Africa
I most certainly will - are you the rebel woman from Bubblews?
@Inlemay Yes . I put my name here as that , so former bubblers can identify me at once .
@Inlemay (16520)
• South Africa
@SIMPLYD glad to find you then!
@Asylum (48281)
• Manchester, England
I usually pack to a minimum, but still tend to create a basic list rather than risk forgetting something important at the last minute.
@Inlemay (16520)
• South Africa
Basic is better I think too
@Asylum (48281)
• Manchester, England
@Inlemay When I was young I always took a vast amount of items with me that I ended up never using, which is pointless. This came to an abrupt end many years ago when I booked a cheap holiday in Morocco and paid £52 to take a suitcase with me.
@ison_1 (1252)
ooooh..it all sounds very exciting! Love the idea of hot air ballooning over the desert.
@Inlemay (16520)
• South Africa
I am s*** scared of heights, but they maintain its not like the BIG WHEEL or other revolving HIGH things
@ison_1 (1252)
@Inlemay My mum went on a balloon ride (took over a year before the weather was right!) she's scared of heights but really enjoyed it. Although in the picture that was taken of the group in the air, she is safely tucked in the middle :)
@Inlemay (16520)
• South Africa
@ison_1 They maintain its not at all like the fear I have and that the balloon platform is quite sturdy and NOT transparent at least. I will have to see what the indemnity papers say - I will take it from there as I would hate to waste $400 - but my hubby can go - its my gift to him
yay bucket list things, do share! and would love to see some photos, or postcards (I do love me some post cards!)
@Inlemay (16520)
• South Africa
I am off to FB to get that address before I leave for the travels.
@Inlemay yay! I have to pick a good post card or 2, the ones I had were kind of bland and gather stamps and will get yours off on my days off early next week!
At the beginning I remember that I packed too much, but after many trips I came out with a perfect list of what to bring. I still have my list.
@Inlemay (16520)
• South Africa
I might just do two lists - the ones I want and the one I need list
@Inlemay When I prepared the bags for our 4 weeks stay in the United States, I used to spread all the clothes on our bed and then I picked up those that took less place in the bags, same for shoes, sweaters and everything else.
That sounds such fun - when are you going? That balloon trip should be brilliant. I do make a list when I travel, but usually end up taking too much stuff anyway.
@Inlemay (16520)
• South Africa
early feb - i intend taking half out after I have packed - we also lag along far too much
@Inlemay Not long now then. Enjoy.
@Platespinner (16492)
I have to make lists, because space is usually limited it's rare that much of what I pack doesn't get used. We usually camp on our big trips and both of our last trips have ranged in temperature from the 90'F or higher down to below freezing. The possibility of rain (or snow) also has to be taken into consideration. So I usually end up with a list for clothes, a list for the cooler, a list for non-perishable foods...and so it goes.
@Inlemay (16520)
• South Africa
Lists make it more organised. Being in the desert countries we will have HOT days and COLD nights, so I have to plan that as well - We are also doing 4 self catering evenings, so I have to plan a few meals as there are no shops along the way. (coffee, tea, sugar, everfresh milk etc as well)
@Inlemay Knowing that there will be no "oops I forgot" trips to the store for additional provisions makes a list even more essential!
I always pack too much.
@Inlemay (16520)
• South Africa
I think we all do
@Fleura (7191)
I have a permanent travel list in a wipe-clean pocket so I can tick things off, it saves me having to write the same things (and probably forget the same things!) each time.
@Inlemay (16520)
• South Africa
thats a neat idea
@garymarsh6 (14040)
Most definitely. We probably pack half the suit cases with stuff that is not really needed but it is handy to have just in case!
@Inlemay (16520)
• South Africa
Just in case in the suitcase . . to much case if you ask me - ha ha ha - I am halving mine for sure
@wiLLmaH (8252)
• Singapore, Singapore
That is what I want to experience too. I am pretty excited for you! :)
@Inlemay (16520)
• South Africa
thank you - I am excited as well
@alchemistrx (2571)
Yeah i do travel lists and some research to the places i wanna visit.I agree we should pack essential things only.
@Inlemay (16520)
• South Africa
keeping it to a minimal i think is a good idea
Being a well seasoned traveler, I know what to pack and what not to pack. For Africa, bring bug repellent, hand sanitizer, and lots of tissues/ toilet paper!
@Inlemay (16520)
• South Africa
You know some of the things I have on my list already - Important things first
It depends where you're going. If you go to civilised countries, you only need money if you've forgotten something. But if you can't buy things you haven't got with you - well, then one tends to take too much just in case. I always write a list.
@Inlemay (16520)
• South Africa
We are going to very remote areas with no facilities or shops to buy anything we need if we left behind.
@waflay (2717)
• Nairobi, Kenya
Next time, pack up your bags and head over to Maasai Mara in Kenya. You 'll have a real Safari that you will never forget...
@Inlemay (16520)
• South Africa
Serengeti is on my list . . . I have only seen Mt Kilimanjaro from the window of a plane . . Sounds like a plan - for now we are just adventuring 3 countries above ours - next will be Zambezi and Malawi and maybe Kenya . . . The Visa restrictions for South Africans are new, so many are not traveling that way anymore. But we have free access to Malawi and Zambezi, Namibia, Botswana, Mozambique etc
@amnabas (10282)
• Karachi, Pakistan
Well interesting to know about safaris.