On Your Mark!

@UncleJoe (6970)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Back in the early 1960’s they still had Saturday afternoon double-feature matinees at local theatres. This was long before DVD’s and VHS that you could watch at home. My cousin Mark was telling me about the Saturday that he had enjoyed the first movie so much that he sat through the second feature just to watch the first one again. By the time he walked outside after that movie he realized how late it must be. Except for the streetlight down at the corner it was pretty dark. He had to get right home because his mom might be worried. He didn’t have a car so he needed to walk fast. Mark is not what I would call superstitious or spooked very easily so he decided to save time and a few steps by cutting through Oak Grove, a very large cemetery. He had no sooner gotten but a few feet down the walk when, from just behind him in the dark, he heard someone cal his name, “Mark!” Turning, he could see nothing in the almost pitch black. Thinking he must have imagined it, he proceeded on his way. Then, “Mark! Mark!!” came the voice from behind him again, but he still saw to one and decided maybe he ought to run. And run, he did. Yet, the whole time, following right along with him, “Mark! M-a-r-k! Mark!” Mark suddenly realized that if he didn’t stop he might run himself to death, so once again he turned to face his nemesis. “Who are you?” he demanded, “What do you want”. Still no other response, except the constant, “Mark! Mark! Mark!” My cousin said he realized the voice was coming from right behind a big tombstone. When he ran around to see who it was he was so surprised to find a hair-lipped dog.
@Morleyhunt (14233)
I bet you have a lot more shaggy dog stories.
@Platespinner (15678)
A dog with a speech impediment poor Mark!
@scheng1 (24982)
haha, perhaps he should change his name so that a dog does not know how to pronounce it!
I expected it to be the usher with his wallet or something. lol
@whiteream (3560)
What a great story. I love your sense of humor.