My dad complained about my son wears less clothes

Guangzhou, China
It is winter now and it is cold. My dad and I are people who are afraid of the cold weather and therefore we wear more in winter. My son is 11 years old and he doesn't want to wear more. I did tell him to wear a little more but he said he feel hot and uncomfortable. So I let it be. But my dad is worried that he will be sick since my dad often says it is cold. And today he even sent me a SMS and I have to say it spoiled my whole day's mood. I think my son is not a baby and he can have his choice. It seems that I don't let him wear more on purpose and feel like I am a horrible mom.
@kaka135 (14130)
I understand your situation. There are many things my children do and I always get "complaints" by my parents or other people as well. I let my children play in the rain, play in the mud or puddle, walk or run barefoot, etc. My parents always told me not to let them do so, otherwise they might get cold easily. But my children have not fallen sick because of doing these. I think it's fine. Moreover, as you said, your son is already 11 years old, he knows well about his body, and I think we should respect and honor his feeling as well. I have read from some parenting books, if we keep forcing the child to wear more clothes in the cold weather, even though he's actually feeling hot, he might end up losing his own sense anymore. He might not be able to feel whether it's hot or cold, he just remembers he HAS to do something because he was asked or FORCED to do so. Sometimes, it's not easy to let others understand a different concept. Now, I always just smile to my parents but not argue much, as they don't seem like understand or agree with me, and I don't want to keep arguing over the same topics too. As long as we know what we do, that's good enough.
Yes, I do remember your story about your children playing in the rain. I know how annoying that others judge you this. Perhaps they even think you are the step-mother? Secretly tell you something, I am going to have an icecream with my son in this afternoon and it is about 2-6 degrees outside. If my dad knows it, it will drive him crazy
@kaka135 (14130)
@youless I am really used to how others judge me, now I learn to just smile. If they keep talking, I will just smile and nod my head, and continue to do it my way. What a rebellious mom I am. I I love having ice cream in winter time. I was in Australia during a winter, and I spent a few nights eating ice cream at the harbor there. It was freezing, but it was so nice! I'd definitely invite my children to do the same with me if there's a chance. I can imagine how your dad reacts if he knows about this.
It is a good thing that your son knows what he feels despite the cold weather. It would be more alarming if he is still a baby. Babies can't say if they are in pain or not. They just cry and we can't figure what's going with him or her.
Since I think my son is old enough to know what to wear. But my dad judges others with his own measturement
@youless I guess your father is showing his love to your son. You should remember that some old folks are traditional. They take it seriously. Don't worry, your father will eventually understand.
Your attitude is correct, your son is old enough to decide what to wear.
Glad that we are open-minded
@amnabas (10549)
• Karachi, Pakistan
Yes our elders always get worried for our kids. My dad always prompts for my daughter.
In fact I don't like that.
It think your son is right when he said he feels hot and uncomfortable . It's his body so he knows . No need to force him , because if he is cold indeed then he will wear more clothing .
I totally agree with you.
He could just wear more around your Dad and, then take it off lol, but yeah he should choose as long as it's not really freezing.
You are right. But sometimes I just don't want to be a tyrant type parent and force my son to do something he doesn't want.