My Little Problem With Global Warming

@tallawah (9080)
Kingston, Jamaica
Yeah, I heard everyone saying that 2015 was the hottest year on record, but you can't use me as an example, because I've been cold. Never in my life have I ever had to sleep with socks. But I had to, because it was cold. Long track pants, socks, two shirts. I am not the only one. In 2014 I heard about 'Snowvember' and looked at photos of John F. Kennedy's funeral in 1963 when it was far warmer than it was in 2014. Now I hear about this super blizzard that is about to descend on the East Coast of America. It will bring a lot of snow and coldness, but I'm sure at the end of the year, they'll say that 2016 was the hottest year on record. You have to understand my skepticism. We were told how bad coconut oil was for us and we should start using that healthy vegetable oil. In 1960 our rates were 1.3 and moved to 17.9 in 1995...you don't want to know what it is today. Hence, forgive me, if I use my own eyes and ears to determine reality, and now what scientists tell me.
@OneOfMany (12418)
They take an average and go from there. Some of the places where they record data isn't as reliable as it could be. Certainly the ones recording temperatures in the middle of a blacktop parking lot can't be counted as scientific readings. Fortunately they do go through and check for those. And we get bigger snow storms because there is more moisture in the air. The jet stream picked up gulf storms and sucked them north, where the cold air makes them into snow storms. If it's all cold, then there is very little snow. That's why places like Antarctica are classified as deserts. Too cold for moisture in the air, and little snow fall.
@tallawah (9080)
• Kingston, Jamaica
I understand you, Morgan...still I'm wondering if it isn't just a little deviation, not a permanent change.
@OneOfMany (12418)
@tallawah One problem with the equation is where the water is. As long as more of it is in the ocean it will absorb heat. That in turn redistributes it elsewhere. I've always wanted to store water back in the underground and in deserts. It would help out.
@tallawah (9080)
• Kingston, Jamaica
@OneOfMany I am not really persuaded that there is going to be global warming. If the air was hotter than there would be rain not snow. I know that in South Dakota in the US, you could go to bed when it was 80o and wake up with snow as it was a different climate than New York City. In New York it was....cold dec/jan/feb chilly march/april/ getting warm may/june hot july/august/sept getting cooler oct/nov... It didn't snow until mid Dec and stop by mid Feb. In South Dakota it made no sense...it could have this freezing wind that would cut through you in March, and then this sudden heat... It was a different climate
• Rochester, New York
The weather where you are is different from the weather where I am and where other's are.
@tallawah (9080)
• Kingston, Jamaica
That's true. But why are the tropics so much colder? And they are saying that it is warmer?
@owlwings (39598)
• Cambridge, England
Local conditions are not a reliable guide to the averages for the whole globe. Surprisingly, global warming can mean MORE snow and locally cold weather rather than less because more water evaporates into the atmosphere and therefore there are more clouds, more violent storms and more widespread mixing of cold air from the poles. This all means that summers are likely to be wetter, tropical areas will tend to see less sun and, in winter, snow storms and heavy rain will be more frequent and will reach areas where snow is uncommon. I am not at all surprised that Jamaica has seen much lower temperatures in view of this.
@tallawah (9080)
• Kingston, Jamaica
So it's colder because of Global Warming? I don't know...I understand you...but it seems hard to grasp...
@yukimori (9072)
Local conditions are not always a reflection of global climate trends.
@tallawah (9080)
• Kingston, Jamaica
Yes. We must be caught in a vortex. A few years ago to think of wearing long sleeves or a jacket was like...oh you must work in one of those refridgerator offices...(many offices are ridiculously cold) I don't even have fan in the office, because it is not hot.
It depends on which part of the world you're talking about. For central Europe it was certainly true. It was the hottest year since weather has been recorded.