Who plows your street?

Japan
In my case-- all of us who live here do. In Japan, all homeowners are responsible for the bits of street in front of our houses. We are supposed to keep them clean. Most people sweep every day (not me). There is great dependence on the woman of the house staying at home (I work.) Lots of houses are owned by the elderly who no longer work. On Monday we had a lot of snow and all the women (me too, because we had a snow day from school) were out there shoveling! The main roads seem to depend on cars and busses to clear them. Our city does not own a snowplow. How does your city deal with snow?
We have an excellent system here, the city does the work, but we pay a lot of taxes for that.
@topffer (33293)
• France
In case of snow here the city has to clean the streets, and we have to clean the pavement for the pedestrians in front of our houses. To tell you the truth, people are not doing it in my area, where snow lasts rarely more than 1 or 2 days.
@sugartoes (39313)
• Greencastle, Indiana
where we live the people that own the roads takes care of the roads we pay 50$ a year to keep them done for us but here lately they haven't been doing them so I'll be calling them about it.
I live in Germany. Only the main streets in the centre of the town are cleared by snow plows. Our street is not cleared. Nobody clears it! The pavements must be shovelled free by 7 am. Our neighbours do that. We don't always hoping that nobody will fall and hurt themselves.
@scheng1 (24810)
Over here in Singapore, the bulk of the cleaners are foreign workers. They are here on a renewable contract, and they work very hard to keep the street clean. They are very hardworking, and some of them work every day of the week. They want to earn more overtime pay, so that they can send more money back home.
@boiboing (12203)
• Northampton, England
Our little road has only 4 houses and we have to go out and clear it ourselves as it's considered a 'private' road and the council have no responsibility for it. We also have to pay for the upkeep.
• Japan
Ours actually is a privately owned road, owned by the family that used to own all the land around here. But we all have to look after our own bit in front. They had to deal with getting a huge storm drain put in. The city helped pay for that.
@silvermist (19921)
@petatonicsca It does not snow where I live.So no problem here.
The country plows the roads. In the big city the city plows the main roads but the side roads just get packed down by everybody driving on them.
@sishy7 (27666)
No snow where I am. But the city deals with everything about street maintenance, so I imagine they would also deal with it in case of snow.
@Elizaby (3594)
• Pensacola, Florida
We rarely get snow here and when it does snow not enough accumulates to need plowing
The city I live in plows the roads. I live on one of the main streets in my town so we are usually one of the first to see a plow. We also have a hospital 2 blocks away as well, so they need to maintain access. Home owners are responsible for shoveling the sidewalks.
@Gillygirl (17278)
• Sutton, England
We don't get a lot but when we do everything comes to a standstill
• Japan
Us too.
@dpk262006 (56115)
Here in Delhi we don't experience any snow because it is a landlocked plain area, therefore, now sweeping of snow is required.
@whiteream (3539)
My husband shoveled the snow here.