Remembering Mandy

Daytona Beach, Florida
If you have forgotten or haven’t heard this song in a long time you’re probably thinking who is Mandy? Well all the way back in the last century on January 18, 1975 a singer named Barry Manilow scored a number one hit with his song “Mandy”. During his career and while he was most popular Manilow went on to sell over 75 million records. He was one of those singers who had hit and miss songs with me. I either loved a certain song he came out with or I hated it. Therefore I never purchased any of Manilow’s albums instead when I loved a song I bought the 45 R.P.M. record and later put it on tape. This was the pre-historic time before computers. Can you imagine that at one time Manilow was the piano player for another great singer – the Divine Miss M – Better Midler. Later on she made him her musical director and he arranged her Divine Miss M album and following tour with the agreement that during intermission he would be allowed to perform his own songs. From this Manilow went on as an opening act for singer Dionne Warwick and finally arrived at Arista Records. From there on Manilow was unstoppable and after “Mandy” he created and sang 21 more Top-40 hits between 1975 and 1983. For his most devoted fans Manilow continues to perform even if the hits have stopped rolling in. What do you think of Barry Manilow and his songs? Were you or are you still a fan? https://youtu.be/4GhYgwDJAMc
On this day in History, “Mandy” is Barry Manilow’s first #1 pop hit on Jan 18, 1975. Learn more about what happened today on History.
Oh yes, I am crazy to this day for his songs. Especially I like the one called Weekend in New England. I did not know of his affiliation with Bette Midler or Dionne Warwick. He is wonderful in my eyes.
I admit to owning a few of his albums back in the day, but I got over it He's talented, but I just can't listen to him these days.
@TiarasOceanView many of his songs have inspired me.
@JolietJake Not everyone can like the same music. In fact I still do like his music but I have to be really in the mood for some of Barry's songs to put him on YouTube.
You asked
Things that drive me insane part I
hahah lolz
@Rosekitty (19438)
• San Marcos, Texas
I have always liked his music and especially Mandy..i am guilty loving that song..
I liked some of his songs. I was not one to pay much attention to music or to musicians
• Preston, England
many of his songs are cheesy but he is a great composer and showman
@Missmwngi (10773)
• Nairobi, Kenya
I was and not a fun,i don't know that singer
@Missnwngi you should listen to some of his songs. He is quite talented but not everyone enjoys the songs he sings.
@Missmwngi (10773)
• Nairobi, Kenya
@RasmaSandra Well it will not hurt to try
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
Although I did like a few of his songs, I was never a big fan of his. I didn't know that he played piano for Bette Midler.
@simone10 he was lucky he got a break playing for Bette Midler and that got him into the music game.