Optimism

@moffittjc (35628)
Gainesville, Florida
An optimistic person always sees the good in things, and always believes things will turn out alright in the end. An optimist just seems to ooze success from their pores! But does optimism really work? Does it really help you? I consider myself a cautious optimist. Although I try to prepare for the worst, at the same time I hope for the best. I believe things will turn out fine in the end. And along the way I've noticed that if I believe success is almost guaranteed, I'm going to try some pretty fun things, and go on some pretty amazing adventures. But let's face it, in reality I am going to fail at some things. But what do they always tell us is the best teacher in life? That’s right, it’s failure. We learn by failing. So, although I will fail at certain things, I end up racking up much more hard-earned experience and knowledge than the non-optimist. Then what do I do with all that extra knowledge? I succeed. Meanwhile, everyone else is still hesitating to take the first step; to try that first thing. I'm not perfect; I'm not going to succeed at everything I try in life. But I'm optimistic that no matter what, it's all going to be alright in the end! How's your outlook on life? Do you tend to be more optimistic, or more pessimistic?
@VivaLaDani13 (16256)
• Perth, Australia
For me, it depends on my mood and the situation. Like for example, if a certain friend of mine says she is going to be there for me when I need help then I am already going to prepare myself and say that's all bull because I am used to her letting me down. So I would be pessimistic in that situation. I would rather be pessimistic in that time to avoid being disappointed when she doesn't help. Or we can use my beauty course that I am going to be doing. I am not pessimistic in this situation. I am more optimistic. Yes I am nervous and worried about failure but I am not going to be giving up on it so if I did fail something in the course, I will learn from it and positive I will complete the course and get my certificate. But in general I would say I am often pessimistic. Not because I want to be but I've been in disappointing situations a lot or have been with people a lot who disappointment me so I'd rather prepare myself for the worst than sitting here thinking good will happen and getting even more upset if it doesn't. But again, really depends on the situation I am in.
@moffittjc (35628)
• Gainesville, Florida
I think preparing for the worst in each situation doesn't necessarily make you a pessimist. It just means you are taking the necessary steps to be ready when something doesn't go according to plan. Nothing wrong with that!
• Perth, Australia
@moffittjc That's true actually. I agree.
• Perth, Australia
@moffittjc ok and I see I have answered this but didn't "like" it. What the hell past Dani!
I've always been an optimist - ok so we get disappointed sometimes, but we know that things will improve.
@moffittjc (35628)
• Gainesville, Florida
I agree with you! And just because we're optimists doesn't mean bad or negative things won't happen to us. We're human, just like everyone else, and will have bad days just like everyone else, but I think the difference is that we believe things will be alright or better the next day when we wake up in the morning!
@moffittjc So true!
@boiboing (12525)
• Northampton, England
People are what they are - you can't change a pessimist into an optimist no matter how many self-help books they swallow. Luckily I'm a super-optimist but that doesn't mean I'm not realistic, only that I can see the worst that might happen and figure out that if it does, I can deal with it.
@moffittjc (35628)
• Gainesville, Florida
I think that's why I call myself a cautious optimist...I look for the worst that might happen, and then figure out a way to deal with it. But my viewpoint is that no matter how bad something may seem, there is always a silver lining out there somewhere. It helps me get through things with a positive attitude.
I'm a proud pessimist, unless someone is being a vocal, miserable pessimist in my vicinity and then I become cautiously optimistic in an effort to make them feel better. Inside though, I'm still having pessimistic thoughts. :)
@moffittjc (35628)
• Gainesville, Florida
You would probably get along well with my brother, who is an eternal pessimist! Then again, maybe not! lol
@Platespinner (18472)
I consider myself realistic. I know that there will be many failures, but as long as I keep making the effort something is bound to work out in the end.
my hubby was a co ckeyes optimist b ut almost all te timer he did succeed while me I had to learn to \be positive as im a n atural born pessimist but being ootimistic draws the good to me.
@moffittjc (35628)
• Gainesville, Florida
My brother is a natural born pessimist! It's funny how the two of us, who are only a year apart in age, can be on completely opposite ends of the spectrum. I always see the good in everything, and he always sees the bad in everything. Growing up, almost everything we experienced in life we did together, since we were so close in age. But when he looks back on our past, he has bad memories of most things. I look back on those same experiences and have nothing but great memories.
@T_gray (7898)
• Salina, Kansas
@moffittjc Wow that is crazy how that works.
@moffittjc (35628)
• Gainesville, Florida
@T_gray Yeah, for sure! I never realized how much of a pessimist he was until a couple of years ago when we were reminiscing about our childhood, and every good memory I kept bringing up he kept telling me it was a bad memory for him. Truly amazing!
@T_gray (7898)
• Salina, Kansas
I really do try to be an optimist. but like you I am a cautious optimist. I always say hope for the best, prepare for the worst. My friend told me once F.A.I.L stood for.....first.attempt.in.learning
@moffittjc (35628)
• Gainesville, Florida
Wow, it's funny that you mentioned the F.A.I.L. acronym! I just went over this with my staff at work on Friday at a planning retreat we were at! I was telling them that it is okay to make mistakes, because that's how we learn from them. As long as they don't keep making the same mistakes over and over, I support their efforts, even if it results in a mistake or failure!
@IreneVincent (15431)
I'm definitely optimistic about everything. I agree with what you wrote and I have also written about the advantages of being optimistic.