Goodbye, Christmas

@Raelove (13937)
Saco, Maine
Every year, I get a sad feeling just after Christmas. It happens when I come upon a wreath still hanging on a door in January or a garland wrapped around an outdoor lamp-pole. I always feel like something's been lost, and I got the same sensation again recently when I came upon a tree farm that showed the remains of the firs that had been cut down during the holidays. It seems like such a waste to me to cut them down. They're so young to begin with--sometimes no more than 10 years old--before they get lopped off, put up in someone's living room for a week or two, and then tossed back outside once the season is over. Then I remind myself that trees, even Christmas trees, are a renewable resource and are totally biodegradable. And from what I've learned, tree farm owners must replace each tree cut down with a new one the following spring. Using a real tree makes more sense, too, from the viewpoint of conservation. Artificial trees are made of plastics, which are petroleum products. And they don't break down in the environment like real trees do. Discarded real trees, however, are shredded or chipped to make mulch or animal bedding. And whole trees can be used in landfills or to prevent erosion. So as sad as it made me to see all those little stumps on that hillside, I comforted myself with the knowledge that, in just a few weeks, new ones will be growing close by. Nature at work...in her endless process of renewal. (Photo is Mine)
I feel a bit sad looking at this picture too. I prefer an artificial tree because it bothers me to use a tree for a few weeks and then toss it out, all of those years of growth for such a short period of time.
@Raelove (13937)
• Saco, Maine
That's how I feel. As for artificial trees, it's not like you have to buy one every year. They last forever. I can't remember the last time I even used a real tree. I remember using just a few branches one year in a large vase. I didn't kill the tree, but I had something to decorate that was natural.
@Raelove I guess that we pick our battles don't we? Some say that the artificial trees aren't as nice, but I beg to differ, a really good tree is just as beautiful and will last for years. And like you, we add fresh pieces here and there for the diversity and for the natural scent. I like a cedar rope because it doesn't kill a tree and it smells so nice.
@Raelove (13937)
• Saco, Maine
@Juliaacv Yes, we do. And yes, artificial trees do last for years, so I am not sure what the fuss is all about. It's not like we don't have plenty of other plastic products in the world! I like those big pine cones the smell like cinnamon myself.
I also feel that is such a waste to cut all those young trees only to decorate the house for a few days.
@Raelove (13937)
• Saco, Maine
I can't help but feel the same way.
I remember when my Mom took down the tree after the holidays and we came back home at lunchtime from school, it was very sad.
@Raelove (13937)
• Saco, Maine
Yes, it was. It was very bare and lonely in the corner where our tree had been.
@silvermist (14739)
@Raelove Many people here use artificial trees.For one thing ,they need not buy a new one every year.Your photo is good and it does make one sad to look at it.
@Raelove (13937)
• Saco, Maine
I thought so. Thanks.
Once Christmas is over I'm ready for a New Year and then spring!!! As much as I love Christmas I'm usually so tired from all the holidays that I'm ready to pack it all away.
I don't celebrate Christmas, but if I did, I would only want a real tree, in a dirt ball, with a hole dug in the yard, to plant after use.
@Raelove (13937)
• Saco, Maine
That's a great alternative to actually cutting one down.
@Raelove I know many people who do this. It is an alternative to cutting. Perhaps they can do it a few times before the tree gets too big. At the least, they would have a lovely evergreen forest!
@Raelove (13937)
• Saco, Maine
@DianneN I worked for a family years ago who had several Colorado blue spruce trees on their property. Each year, they'd cut one down for Christmas. They had a split-level house with 20-foot-high ceilings, so the large trees fit. It was always heartbreaking to see one of them cut down just for that purpose.
• Lakewood, Colorado
It makes perfect sense what you say Rachel. I am sad all year round and the holidays only accentuate it..I am always sad to see them go. Still we renew each day and do the best we can.
@Raelove (13937)
• Saco, Maine
That's right. I'm pretty much sad more than anything else now. So many family issues that it's hard to feel happy most days. So I get up each day, plan out the things that make me happy or at least take my mind off things, and move forward. I guess I always hope for that big burst of joy at Christmas time that is so fleeting.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@Raelove Yes, fleeting is right..I cant remember the last time I felt any joy even for a while. I have compassion for that feeling of sadness Rachel..I hope that soon something will give you a good feeling friend.
@Jackalyn (5621)
• Oxford, England
I hate seeing discarded Christmas trees with the roots lopped off. I guess we all hanker also for the brightness of the Christmas season. I have just decided to put my lights on again. They were not on the tree, but are still on the dresser. It will cheer this dreary day, weather wise, up.
@Raelove (13937)
• Saco, Maine
I had a friend years ago who kept a string of lights going in her house all year long. She, too, said, it cheered things up. I might if I could find some cute ones that didn't remind me of Christmas.
@GreatMartin (4317)
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Christmas isn't trees nor wreaths nor lights. I understand what you are saying but all that is part of the 'commercialism' of Christmas.
@Raelove (13937)
• Saco, Maine
I agree, but that's what a lot people think it is. I stopped participating in the commercialism a long time ago. I can't afford to, and even if I could, I am too much of a nature lover to promote the chopping down of trees simply to stand them in corners to dry out for someone's pleasure.
• Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
I also get sad once.christmas is over, but atleast we have a new year to look forward too ect
@Raelove (13937)
• Saco, Maine
That's right.
I am glad the trees get mulched and used. Ours goes on our fire pit when we have fire.
They should quit cutting down the trees and have people buy the artifcial trees to use that will last forever.
Christmas nah!I do not miss it.I am waiting for Spring and Summer.It will be here soon.
we usually use a fake tree, but i do love the real ones.
There is a special feeling at Christmas. I like a real tree myself. A plastic one is okay but after growing up with a real one all my childhood I just don't feel like it is Christmas without one.