Persimmons

@UncleJoe (9483)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Persimmon candy? Persimmon pie? Persimmon pudding? Ever tried any? They are outstandingly delicious. For those who aren’t familiar with this wild fruit, a North American Persimmon is full of natural sugars and can be eaten in any number of ways. Yet, there is one slight little drawback. Persimmons are only sweet AFTER the first freeze. Before then, they are not edible. They aren’t exactly sour, but there is a substance in them that I would liken to alum before the frost, then it goes away. As a result, it takes about a minute to get the full affect after biting in to one. That stuff just draws your mouth right in to a tight pucker and you can’t do anything about it. I might also mention that even though they aren’t really ripe, they turn from green to red. Anyone not familiar with this little fruit would think is was a small tomato. That’s what I told the kids in my class they were. I had brought a whole bag to share with my fellow 5th graders and they were just as anxious to have them. My teacher declined one for herself but let me distribute the “tomatoes” to the class. I soon discovered that some people can’t take a joke. There was even talk of a lynching before their lips caved in. The best part was when I came time for us to sing “America the Beautiful” Everybody had to whistle the song.
I don't even know what a persimmon looks like, and I've certainly never tasted one.
He could be making the whole thing up. I never heard of them either.
LOL. Those things are B.A.D. even when ripe they`ll send you to the toilet with the blind running shots. You`re so bad and I like you :)
we used to go pick these for my gram.