Stupid Remote

The first remote I got when I had cable installed worked for over 5 years. Then the buttons started to stick and it wouldn't change channels etc. So, I called and asked for a new one. I was a bit surprised when they had a $15 charge but I guess remotes aren't replaced for free. After months of using the newer one, the same thing is happening. The buttons are sticking and it just isn't working. Anyone who is a tv junkie knows how important a working remote is. So, I had to call the cable company this morning to once again request another remote. Needless to say, another $15 charge and all I got was an apology that the last one didn't work very well. I think I'm going to look into a universal remote and see if one of my family members can program it for me. Anyone here use a universal remote these days?
That is appalling they are charging you for a defective remote. They should replace the useless one for free. I do not have a universal remote never had one. I do have the ordinary cable remote.
@TiarasOceanView you would think they'd replace the remote for free with what they charge monthly for cable service. I'm willing to pay the $15 so I can watch tv...guess they have me over a barrel
@Marilynda1225 If I am not mistaken, I believe they will replace it here for free..I have Xfinity.
@TiarasOceanView We have dish and they replaced our for free.
They shouldn't have charged you again.
I agree they should have replaced this one for free
@sugartoes (43167)
• Greencastle, Indiana
that can get expensive at 15$ a pop it does take a whiz kid to get the universal remote to connect to your t v so all I can say is good luck the best thing I can help you with is this
A Tesco Tech Support video that demonstrates how to set up and make the most of a universal remote.
@sugartoes thanks for the link. I'm technically a dunce but I'm sure someone in my family will be able to follow the directions and get it to program to the tv
@sugartoes (43167)
• Greencastle, Indiana
@Marilynda1225 don't feel bad so am I I'm still after 8 ys trying to learn things on what I want to do on my computer but scared of crashing it.
@hostessman (10156)
• Tucson, Arizona
I have used them and when you get one there are directions that are easy to do. They give you all the advice you need. Good luck
@hostessman I think I might look into a universal remote and it might be a better option than the junk I'm getting from the cable company
I wouldn't settle for an apology. We have so many remotes here and at home. All I can do is press the red button to turn the TV off.
I had to buy my online from the company there.
I have dish and I have had it since 2010, the one doesn`t work on mine so we do the press and hold to fly through those channels :)
We use an universal remote, it works well and replaced the too many that were around.
@ladyduck I think I might look into a universal remote. It can't be worse than the one I have from the cable company. Glad that you give it a thumbs up
@Marilynda1225 My husband took care to program it. In our home he is in charge of the remote.
If I were you, I would complain about the second one not working properly and ask for my money back.
@marlina I did mention it to the person I spoke to on the phone and all they said was "I'm sorry to hear that" no refund
They should have replaced your remote free, mine is still working thank God.
@TRBRocks420 I thought remotes worked for years...they should even if they don't
@Gillygirl (17605)
• Sutton, England
I haven't used a universal remote before.
@JESSY3236 (7532)
I have satellite and my remote doesn't have a button that sticks too. I just deal with it.
• Somerset, Pennsylvania
Sounds like you need a different cable company
@Angel_15 (676)
• Manila, Philippines
Using a universal remote is a good idea. We used a universal remote when the TV remote went missing. It's very practical as you don't have to use lots of different remote controls.
silly question - but - do you change the batteries?
@Daljinder (22198)
I fear our remote was always the victim in siblings fighting over one thing or another.
@Blondie2222 (22704)
I use universal remote it's not that hard as it seems. We don't get charged whenever we need a new remote. I'm due for one as i can't use my down button to view channels and it is annoying. The only way to do it is to light up the keys and put the cable button.
We had a remote quit working and it was replaced for free and they did not even want the old one back.
@GreatMartin (6163)
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Ah remember the old days when we actually got up from the couch and had to change stations?? Or are you too young?!?
@fishtiger58 (30319)
• Momence, Illinois
I am getting ready for a universal remote, so sick of all the remotes we have. I am told they will work for all your devices.