We've been away four nights

Bunbury, Australia
We have been away for four nights. We attended a concert in Fremantle and I wrote about having to sit on the grass. Two of our party couldn't attend but Vince was able to sell their tickets for half price to a couple from Salzburg, Austria. They joined us in the queue to enter and we enjoyed chatting with them before the show. In the end, we took a picnic blanket and small cushions. We weren't allowed to take drinks or picnic baskets although some people did have nibbles. We were told food and drink would be available at 'respectful' prices which sounded a very odd description. However pies were $9 each and a bottle of wine $30 which we considered very expensive. We sat and wriggled and squirmed for the first half of the concert then, when The Waifs came on, we stood up along with everyone else and remained standing for the rest of the show. While we probably wouldn't go to the same venue again, we did enjoy the concert. It was a balmy evening and we didn't need our jumpers although we had them with us. I'll tell you about the Australia Day celebrations in another post when I've sorted out the best of some 400 photos which we took between us.
In the end it sounds like it was a good time at the concert. I'm looking forward to hearing about Australia Day in upcoming discussions.
We have so many photos so I just need to sort them a bit so it won't be too boring.
@sueznewz2 (10121)
• Alicante, Spain
@JudyEv I don't know about you...but I find it difficult to choose between the photos....
@sueznewz2 It is very hard sometimes. Something that intrigues me probably doesn't appeal at all to someone else.
Expensive for the food and drink to say the least.
If I had thought about the price while I was eating the pies I probably would have choked.
@Shiva49 (13774)
Good to read about your experience with warts and all, but 400 photos is quite a lot - siva
I think you could say we became 'trigger-happy'!
@Shiva49 (13774)
@JudyEv Now people share more photos than we have time to take even a cursory look! I like to enjoy the visual scenery than get anxious to take snaps - siva
@Shiva49 e have a friend who never takes photos as she believes it stops her really taking in the atmosphere and sights of wherever she is. While I can see her point, I would have completely forgotten about many things I've seen if it were not for the photos we have.
@Platespinner (17045)
It sounds like "respectful" prices means, "we can charge whatever we want and you can't do anything about it because we won't let you bring in your own food."
It was probably a bit naive of us to think prices might be somewhere near reasonable. :)
I am glad you enjoyed the concert despite the food and drink prices.
It was fun and the weather was very kind to us.
@Ladypeace (2047)
We were allowed to bring our own snacks and drinks to the open concerts I've been to. The venue's offerings were deliberately designed to rip off (even a 3 year old could tell). That said, your evening sounded relaxing and fun. Looking forward to further installments from you.
Drinks are mostly a no-no and security guards check any bags etc but we could easily have taken at least some food.
That sounds very expensive to me too, that's the main reason I don't go to those things, spend more on food and, drinks then the tickets lol.
We would have taken our own if we thought it was allowed. I always find it annoying to pay so much for food at these venues.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
Some of these venues are terrible with making extra money out of food and drink. I had a bottle of water taken from me at an Isle of Wight festival
Any liquids were taken off you unless they were sealed. It was a bit of a rip-off in that way.
@sishy7 (27606)
Oh, did you watch the Skyworks firework above the Swan River in person? Must be quite spectacular! I saw the photos and watched it on TV.
Yes, we were actually out on the river on a friend's boat. Very spectacular.
@LoriAMoore (4684)
I'm glad you had a good time.
Thanks, yes, it was enjoyable.
@sueznewz2 (10121)
• Alicante, Spain
I'm glad you had a nice time...but those prices were extortionate.... if that's their assessment of respectful... ??? Looking forward to more on Australia Day...., yeah..., 400 photos...that would be a long slideshow ....lol's.
I promise I'll delete - let's say - 50%. Will that do?
@sueznewz2 (10121)
• Alicante, Spain
@JudyEv don't bother on my account... i'll happily look at them all... lol's.
@sueznewz2 Haha. You SAY that but... I don't think I'll put you to the test!
@Asylum (48266)
• Manchester, England
I do like the idea of "respectful" prices. If you managed to take 400 photographs the camera must be fairly well worn by now.
We nearly ran out of battery power before the fireworks even started. Vince got a bit carried away with all that was going on including air displays and 'sail pasts' of some lovely old wooden boats.
@Asylum (48266)
• Manchester, England
@JudyEv I must confess that I would have been the same with such events taking place.
People who sells foods in concerts takes advantage of the situation , so they sell them at very high prices , that you have no choice but buy them still .
It annoyed us because the ticketing inferred that prices would be reasonable when they weren't at all.
@JudyEv They deceived people when they announced that .
I'm glad that you enjoyed the main event, but I would have found it uncomfortable standing for any length of time.
One of our party laid down on the picnic rug and just listened. It was too long for her to stand comfortably. We'll check more carefully next time.
@Dragonairy1 (1413)
• Newcastle Upon Tyne, England
If they think that's respectful, I wonder what they think is expensive I'm glad you had a good time.
After paying so much for food and drink, we were determined to have a good time :)