Calling All Birdlovers

@Raelove (15042)
Saco, Maine
Each of the 50 states has its own official bird, and ours here in Maine is the black-capped chickadee. It's a year-round resident in the northeast and one of the most common birds to appear at backyard feeders. Chickadees are actually quite tame, too, as compared to other birds. If they're hungry enough, they'll quickly get used to someone standing nearby as they fly back and forth to the feeder. They also have several little songs they sing, including the popular "Dee-dee-dee." I like to think that it's the song they sing when they're happy, as that's what it sounds like to me. When we register a car here in Maine, we have a choice of motifs on our new license plates, and one is the chickadee. Being the bird-lover that I am, that one's been my choice all along! (Photo is Mine)
He is a cute little guy. Our sate bird is the Mockingbird and it's illegal to kill one. I won't pay for specialty tags, the basic one is just fine.
@Raelove (15042)
• Saco, Maine
Our basic plates don't cost more, but we can still choose the motif. The only ones we have to pay more for are the U. of Maine plates or any personalized ones with a special word. We have mockingbirds here, too, and their close cousins, the gray catbirds. They both have many different songs that they "steal" from other birds.
@Raelove We are not fond of mockingbirds, I've seen they fly down and peck people on the head for no reason. Any plate here that isn't the standard one costs extra.
@Raelove (15042)
• Saco, Maine
@AbbyGreenhill Wow. I have never of that. We don't get a lot of those birds here, but I've never seen one do that.
That is a very pretty bird! I'm not surprised it was your choice for your number plate. Great photo too!
@Raelove (15042)
• Saco, Maine
Thanks. It is a great little bird. It's been known to land on people's hands to feed, but I've not been that lucky yet. I took the photo a couple of years ago on the deck of my former apartment. I've wondered how all "my birds" are doing since the new and much younger couple moved in there. I doubt they're as into birds as I was.
@Raelove Our little blue wrens are very tame too and will take food from your hand quite willingly. Your 'old' birds probably miss you.
@Raelove (15042)
• Saco, Maine
@JudyEv I'm sure they do. From what I've heard, the new tenants aren't into feeding them at all. I wonder how many of my little friends have flown to the deck looking for food that is no longer there...
@T_gray (7898)
• Salina, Kansas
Kansas state bird is the Western Meadowlark. Which is a yellow and black bird, which I think is fitting for Kansas since our flower is the sunflower. This bird sounds like a flute from what I read. I am not sure I have seen one.
@Raelove (15042)
• Saco, Maine
Oh, it sounds wonderful. We have several thrushes here in Maine that sound like flutes when they sing. It's very magical. Hope you hear or see a meadowlark someday.
@T_gray (7898)
• Salina, Kansas
@Raelove Me too, I sure do love birds.
@Raelove (15042)
• Saco, Maine
@T_gray I've been watching them for years and never tire of it.
• Lakewood, Colorado
Our state bird is the Lark Bunting (CO) and here it is courtesy Audubon.org. I love all birds..so lovely creatures.
@Raelove (15042)
• Saco, Maine
Oh, he (or she) is gorgeous. Thanks for posting it!
• Lakewood, Colorado
@Raelove Welcome Rachel..I love the little chickadees you have
@Raelove (15042)
• Saco, Maine
@TiarasOceanView Oh, I love the little chickadees. They're so cute and energetic.
@fishtiger58 (30284)
• Momence, Illinois
What a pretty bird, and now you have made me go on another photograph hunt of our state bird. I know I have one somewhere lol.
@Raelove (15042)
• Saco, Maine
That was the idea. I figured we did flowers, now we could do birds!
@fishtiger58 (30284)
• Momence, Illinois
@Raelove Baah and I can't find the pic
@Raelove (15042)
• Saco, Maine
@fishtiger58 You will. And if not, it's OK.
@Inlemay (17323)
• South Africa
I have wild birds in my garden all the time - my garden wouldnt be complete without the birds
@Raelove (15042)
• Saco, Maine
That is one of the many points of having a garden!
@Dragonairy1 (1486)
• Newcastle Upon Tyne, England
what a cute little bird, thanks.
@Raelove (15042)
• Saco, Maine
You are welcome.
We have flowers for each of our Canadian provinces. If I had to name a bird for our region, it would be the big ugly black crow. There are so many of them in the city near us. For too many years the residents didn't put their garbage can lids on them when they put their trash out to the curb, so the birds would come in droves and eat, and they also like the warmth from the river that runs thru the town.
@Raelove (15042)
• Saco, Maine
We have lots of them here, too, as we are not that far south of you. They're not that aggressive. We have lots of seagulls, too, this close to the ocean. They're real scavengers.
@Inlemay (17323)
• South Africa
lovely photo of the chickadee