Oh My ! I Broke A Cup !

As I was reaching out for a folder from a data file on top of the steel cabinet at the office this morning , the files all toppled down and hit one of the cups I have just ordered for the boss weeks ago. I knew that a cup was broken when I heard it crashed . I suddenly felt frantic . I got my own cup and replaced the broken one with it and called the utility man to clean the mess. When my boss came in after lunch , I immediately asked for apology about the green cup that was accidentally broken and showed him that I replaced it with my green and white cup , as you can see the small green cup that is different from the 3 cups in the picture I attached . And he laughingly said “oh , that is the cup that makes the coffee tastes so nice “ . I felt the blood rushed into my face and we both laughed out loud . Gosh , good thing he is a very kind and understanding boss . Lucky me . Have you had a similar accident wherein you have to apologize for it and replaced it with another one ?
I know I would have been ashamed too. We had not coffee facilities when I worked in an office, we had to order from outside.
those spill proof disposable cups
@hexeduser22 NO, I am Italian we do not use those disposable cups, the coffee is always served in a small ceramic coffee cup, to appreciate the taste.
@LadyDuck Now I envy you In my side of the world, it seems we have unlimited supply of disposable cups
not qui te the sama but when I worked in the library we all brgough our own lunches and also bought donuts for all. we marked our own sacks wth our names and if the sack had no name anyone could have dibs on whatever was in i . On my break I found this sack with one lonely do nut covered in brown sugar frosting and i ate it just as my boss came in to get a snack. She said she had saved a donut that had brown frosting on it I told her oh my g I ate it as the sack did not hav e any name on it she l aughed and i offered her a piece of cake from my lunch and she told me to forget it as she had forgot to put her name on the sack.
Oh that was indeed a mistake too . But at least you also offered something , in your case a piece of cake to the boss . And oh , we both have a very kind and understanding boss .
@Hatley that is good she was fine with it. As she should have been; she forgot to put her name.
@hexeduser22 (5853)
At home I always apologize because regardless if it's my fault or not one sharp look from my wife, send chills down my spine sometimes I see my wife as my boss hahah. Happy wife happy life Anyway, good thing your boss is kind. I would also feel the same way if I were in your position :)
@thesids (22358)
• Bhubaneswar, India
At home I always apologize because regardless if it's my fault or not Oh dear... seems like life is the same almost everywhere on the planet
@thesids I guess there is really no escaping it It's a hidden rule for a happy life
@thesids (22358)
• Bhubaneswar, India
@hexeduser22 Probably the adage = "Boss is always right" too was invented by one of us
@antonbunot (9486)
• Calgary, Alberta
O, I broke lots of cups and plates in my life! But I never broke a heart!
Really , you never broke a heart ?
• Calgary, Alberta
@SIMPLYD No, I let the ladies broke my heart instead . . to make them happy! But some of them were "broken" before they broke my heart. So, it's a win-win for both parties!
@antonbunot What do you mean that some of them where "broken" before they broke your heart ?
@thesids (22358)
• Bhubaneswar, India
Is he the same guy whom you mentioned earlier (when he joined the office and you sit in front of him?) Probably green is his favorite color. Next occasion, give him a green card Have you had a similar accident wherein you have to apologize for it and replaced it with another one ? I used to be with safer hands
Yes he is my second direct boss , whom i share the office room with . That's why when he is in , after lunch , i am so prim and proper . Although , we would always share our stories with each other and laugh out loud at times .
It's nice to have an understanding boss. I broke a really nice cup in my friend's house and felt really awful, though she wasn't cross or anything. I went out and bought her a similar one.
Indeed , i am so thankful for that . Actually when we broke someone's breakable accidentally , it is just but proper that we replace the said broken thing , even if the owner would say no . Though , if the owner is someone who is rich and that wouldn't matter at all , maybe we will not anymore .
I am a substitute teacher and one time I dumped coffee on the teacher\s desk, staining her papers. I felt terrible! I left a note to apologize and I have learned to not put my coffee cup near people\s papers!
Oh my that's really a difficult accident because if ever the papers were all wet over , it cannot be substituted . So what did you do with it ?
@SIMPLYD Wiped them clean as best I could.
@paigea Well at least , it didn't ruin the writings on the papers .
@ridingbet (55663)
yes, but when I want to replace it, the owner of the cup says "it is okay, it is old anyway".
Well, he also told me that it's okay and joked about it . But i felt responsible since it's a new set of mugs i ordered for him and his guests , so i replaced it since i also have an extra cup i am not using .
@ridingbet (55663)
@SIMPLYD so you felt relieved when you changed the broken cup, my lady? At least, no guilty feelings.
@ridingbet Yes it did indeed . I was so relieved specially when he joked about it . Hey, it seems i haven't seen you here the past days .
You were very lucky that he took it very well. I have broken cups at home and other things and made sure I cleaned it up fast so my Sophie would not get into the mess I made..
Yes, he is that kind indeed. However, he isn't here anymore. He was re-assigned on some companies already. You love your pet much.
@SIMPLYD rebel, why do the good ones get reassigned? She is sweet, but, we have issues. I do like her a lot.
@Hannihar Actually, it was so sudden. Someone said he was reassigned because of someone close to the owner who feel threatened by his being so kind and liked by all, made some false accusation on him.
@Marcyaz (35651)
You have a very understanding boss and I bet that is a nice place to work.
You are so correct . Not only is my boss very understanding , but also have jolly and understanding officemates .
@Marcyaz (35651)
@SIMPLYD Everyone should have a boss and co-workers like yours.
@Marcyaz Oh thank you for saying that .
I was guilty when I broke one of my moms favorite mugs. I bought her another one. I never broke anything of my bosses but I'm glad your boss is very understanding.
See. Somehow, we have the reponsibiity to replace the things we broke that is owned by others . I hated myself when that accident happened . It affirmed that i am clumsy .
@SIMPLYD But it was an accident, so it's fine. Accidents happen, as long as it wasn't done on purpose you're okay!
@infatuatedbby Yeah i know , but still we should take responsibility of at least offering to have it replaced .
Not that I can think of. Why would you call maintenance to come clean up a mess you made?
Good for you . I guess , i am clumsy that's why i always have some accidents like this . It is the utility's job to clean the mess at the office . They maintain the cleanliness of the office and they are fully equipped with cleaning materials , so when things such as this happen they are called .
@SIMPLYD Okay, now I'm not being stupid here, but - In every place I've worked we had cleaning and maintenance people too, however, for something simple like that it was a matter of cleaning up after yourself. It can't take too much effort to find a broom and dustpan and clean up a broken cup, and if it isn't shattered into a thousand pieces then just picking up the broken pieces and throwing them out isn't too much of an effort for anyone.
@just4him Yes, is should be that way indeed . But that's the way it is at our office .
@Yar_Joey (3296)
yes it is better to replace anything that we broke.
Correct ! Doing that would ease the guilty feeling we have for being clumsy or careless.
@Yar_Joey (3296)
@SIMPLYD but i hope the owner of the thing we broke will not find a better replacement of the broken item.
@Yar_Joey Hmm , what do you mean by that ?
@yalul070 (1751)
• Manila, Philippines
you're lucky to have a kind boss. you must be a good staff, too
I guess we both are kind and understanding . And we know our responsibilities when accidents happens .
@yalul070 (1751)
• Manila, Philippines
@SIMPLYD well that's how a superior-subordinate relationship should be.
@yalul070 And besides as a subordinate we should know have a line so the respect to our superior will always be there .
@MarymargII (10022)
• Toronto, Ontario
Well poor you but these things do happen and your boss was very understanding.
Yes, he understands that accidents do happen so he joked about it instead .
@MarymargII (10022)
• Toronto, Ontario
@SIMPLYD And it shows he is not unreasonable like some people.
@MarymargII Yes, and i feel lucky to have a kind and understanding boss .
No, I haven't, but our toilet leaked to our neighbor's light fixture beneath us in our condo. We were willing to pay for a new light and replace his ceiling, if necessary. As it turned out, there was no damage to anything. Whew! We did have our leak repaired.
At least , we are responsible people because we know what to do to for our part , in accidents. We would really feel guilty if we don't do a thing to correct an outcome of an accident that came from our part.
@SIMPLYD Amen to that!
I don't think breaking a cup is the end of the world and I certainly wouldn't worry about it.
Yeah i know . But i would feel guilty having broken it because of my carelessness so to take away that guilty feeling , i just replaced it with my cup that i am not using anyway , because i have a mug still which i am using always .
@SIMPLYD I think a coffee cup is a minor thing to worry about, but that's up to you.
Accidents happen and you apologized for breaking the cup.
Yes , but i felt good having replaced it despite my apology .
@Lucky15 (33754)
haven't, but i might do the same thing too. you got a great boss :)
I think it' the most responsible thing to do - to replace what we accidentally broke . And yes , i have a great boss .
@T_gray (7808)
• Salina, Kansas
Yeah, I don't like when i break things of others. I always try to replace it when it do. Glad you and your boss had a good laugh about this.
Correct . I would feel so guilty hadn't i replaced the broken one. My boss is also a natural joker and so am i so we would always just make a joke about some things .