I wish the Mylot avatars were slightly larger

@Asylum (45962)
Manchester, England
Most social sites these days use avatars, but they are of varying sizes. Mylot is the smallest avatar size that I know, although I do admit to having known only a few. In general the avatar size is fine and I have used numerous different ones over the years, all of which have displayed quite well. Albeit this, recently it became of interest to me to have a slightly larger one. Normally I use animated avatars, which I much prefer. However, I have been looking at creating avatars for a few upcoming occasions because I like to use specific ones for certain occasions. In particular I considered creating one for my holiday next week and another for St Valentine’s Day next month. Creating a static avatar is very simple, but I do like to use a small amount of text in such cases. My concern now is whether the text would display adequately to be read clearly on the avatar.
The avatar is large enough for a static picture, I believe it's a bit small if you want to add text.
@Asylum (45962)
• Manchester, England
Exactly my thoughts Anna, which is a pity because a few words can presonalise an avatar a great deal.
@Asylum I agree, we could send a message with our avatar.
@Asylum (45962)
• Manchester, England
@LadyDuck It was something that I often did on Bubblews, where the avatar was 80 X 80 pixels, which made a vast difference.
@Inlemay (17163)
• South Africa
I am pleased that mylot uses small avatars - its the only way I get to be smaller than i am - he hehe
@Asylum (45962)
• Manchester, England
Oh yes, I can see that the sides of your avatar are straining under the pressure of trying to keep your image inside.
@Inlemay (17163)
• South Africa
@Asylum corset is straining under the pressure = my cheeks are even read from the squeeze
@Asylum (45962)
• Manchester, England
@Inlemay You need to edit your avatar in a good image editor such as Photoshop and add a strong whalebone border.
@thea09 (18326)
• Greece
Love your marching caveman which gets bigger when I blow the page up 150% which is the only way I can read it. The cataract op has left me only shortsighted in one eye and near sighted in the other so everything is out of kilter. I am going to throw myself on the doc's good nature tomorrow and see if he will do the other one speedily so I can be balanced.
@Asylum (45962)
• Manchester, England
I had a clear glass lens fitted in the right side of my glasses, so I am okay while waiting for the left eye to be done.
@thea09 (18326)
• Greece
@Asylum I did the same and it is fine for long distance but murder for laptop and reading as really out of kilter. The doc gave me a new prescription for lenses to read with today and promises to do the other eye before May so then I can chuck away the glasses for distance - hurray.
@vandana7 (55373)
Hugs...I am sorry that you are having these problems Katerina. I missed you..a lot. Hope you will feel better. Take care. Hugs.
@Morleyhunt (15038)
The photo is not large enough to include script as well. At night, I need to zoom in, because just the regular text seems to shrink.
Did you ever stop to think that the problem is you? You're not so young as you once were you know .
@Asylum (45962)
• Manchester, England
I have wondered about how bold text will appear, but I cannot boost the font size very much without it becoming too large to fit the avatar.
@Morleyhunt (15038)
@Platespinner no, it's that teeny tiny print they subject me to.
I do so enjoy your avatars. I hope you keep creating them. Enjoy your vacation. Don't forget to let us know what you do while gone.
@Asylum (45962)
• Manchester, England
I am sure to be online while I am on holiday.
@Asylum Great. I love vacations, even when they are not mine.
@Asylum (45962)
• Manchester, England
@ElizabethWallace I much prefer that they are mine. I have not been away for a while due to all the hospital appointments, but do hope to arrange a few more before long.
@thesids (22455)
• Bhubaneswar, India
Somehow, I do agree with your request/requirement for a larger sized avatar. I havent been into textual Avatars, but yes, there have been times, I would have loved to see the avatar in a bigger size. I recall, back on version one, a friend had a beautiful avatar. But on the normal desktop monitor and the size it got displayed on discussions, it did not look as attractive. It was only when I hopped on to her profile, I realized what the avatar was and what it conveyed. I did see a few people use some Text animations on avatars during new year. I think you should try with some fat fonts (like Impact) and a little larger size and try with keeping the width constrained to 250 px.
@Asylum (45962)
• Manchester, England
I used a text animation at New Year, but having a white background and no added image made it reasonable clear, whereas with an image it may not be adequate. Using animated text would actually restrict the parameters to 60 pixels, so the idea of using 250 pixels would not work.
@thesids (22455)
• Bhubaneswar, India
@Asylum Using animated text would actually restrict the parameters to 60 pixels, so the idea of using 250 pixels would not work. I did not know about this. Thanks for mentioning this. Your New Year avatar was much clear and readable. btw, I love the current one too. You seem to be on a long walk with that ancient cudgel/club. I would love something similar in some leaves for me - as there were times I could have made a better use of that for sure
@Asylum (45962)
• Manchester, England
@thesids I had doubts at first about the New Year avatar and did upload it as a test during the night in December. There was no background, so it was quite clear. Static text on an image background is still an unknown to me. Animations over 60 X 60 pixels will display fine on the profile page, but will appear static in the discussions.
@Daljinder (19276)
You are right about the avatar size....It is small.....The text you want to use would be too small to see.....If it is a word or two then maybe it would work.....But lines or quotes, I don't think they would be readable...
@Asylum (45962)
• Manchester, England
This is my problem because the two examples that I listed above would require using the words vacation and Valentines respectively. The length of the word would limit the potential font size.
@Daljinder (19276)
@Asylum and ultimately it would cover the background image if you are using one....
sometimes I think about changing my avatar but then decide to stay with the one I have. I enjoy that you change yours since they're fun to see
@Asylum (45962)
• Manchester, England
I do like varying mine. As a rule I use specific avatars for occasions throughout the year, such as Christmas, Easter or Valentines Day. Since they are only in use for a short while, it seems a good time to change my default afterwards.
@Missmwngi (9700)
• Nairobi, Kenya
I don't know if they can be readable but you can try with one I love that walking man,He telss someone keep walking till you get there lol
@Asylum (45962)
• Manchester, England
He will get a rest in a couple of days when I change my avatar for my holiday.
• Denmark
I don't miss this. I'm not even sure I would be able to add an animated avatar.
@Asylum (45962)
• Manchester, England
Of course you could, simply find one online and resize it.
yeah, they are quite small.
@Asylum (45962)
• Manchester, England
The size is adequate for a basic image, but text may be quite difficult to read.
What's with an avatar. Once you get to know a user one hardly looks at the avatar - my opinion
@Asylum (45962)
• Manchester, England
Many members seem to stick to a specific avatar because it is the way that people recognise them. Personally I do like to change mine, especially for certain events or occasions, which does not appear to cause me any loss of interaction.
@Bluedoll (15589)
I like you avatars and how they change. You also give them some thought. If everyone used them though I think we might be distracted. I remember one who had a real picture of himself with moving animated eyes. It was creepy to the point of being annoying. Your avatars are cute.
@Asylum (45962)
• Manchester, England
I have used a variety over the years.
@Bluedoll (15589)
@Asylum I like the one you have presently. Oh wise one.
@Asylum (45962)
• Manchester, England
@Bluedoll Some avatars display very well here, although text is often difficult to read due to the overall size.
@fishtiger58 (28477)
• Momence, Illinois
Give it a try it might work
@Asylum (45962)
• Manchester, England
I have managed to find a compromise, which is a animated avatar with room at the top for words without any background image.
@fishtiger58 (28477)
• Momence, Illinois
@Asylum Cool there you go.
@Asylum (45962)
• Manchester, England
@fishtiger58 It does result in a smaller image, but at least it should be clearer that way.
@Auntylou (4412)
• Oxford, England
Looking forward to february!
@Asylum (45962)
• Manchester, England
So am I because my holiday starts then.
@Auntylou (4412)
• Oxford, England
@Asylum My goodness I have just realised it starts tomorrow!
@Asylum (45962)
• Manchester, England
@Auntylou Yes, about 4 hours from now over in England. Tomorrow I will be uploading my "In Transit" avatar and the following day will be my "Turkey vacation" avatar.
That avatar of yours is nice because it moves . But i hope you can put your picture too .
@Asylum (45962)
• Manchester, England
I was just about to upload my holiday avatar, but I seem to have misplaced it. I will sort it out before long.
@Asylum Oh my , you have a new one again and it is much cuter and it moves too.
@Asylum (45962)
• Manchester, England
@SIMPLYD This is my holiday avatar while I am here in Turkey. I do have a second one that I threw together, so that may get used for a day as well.