Split Pea Soup

@Raelove (14029)
Saco, Maine
I was just chatting with a friend on Facebook about her plan to make split pea soup today. That got me thinking about how I haven't made it in awhile. There is a canned variety here in Maine that is actually pretty close to the real thing--Habitant. My father swore by it years ago, and we always had a can or two on hand for his lunches. I usually use a ham bone to make pea soup with, but I doubt I'll be cooking a ham anytime soon, so I may look into a smoked ham hock. It gives just as much flavor to the soup, but not as much meat. It's not the meat I care about anyway, but that thick creamy soup that really fills you up on a cold dreary day. I see making a pot of pea soup in my immediate future. (Public Domain Image)
@owlwings (37713)
• Cambridge, England
I use a half and half mixture of red lentils and split yellow peas. The red lentils cook down to a pulp very quickly and add thickness, while the yellow peas (or chana dhal, which looks very similar but has a very slightly different flavour) give texture because they don't quite lose their shape. For flavour, of course, the basic one has to be onion - and quite a lot, cooked down until it is clear and beginning to colour, at least. I use about one onion per 100g of dry lentils/peas and maybe two cloves of garlic as well. In addition, I sometimes use bacon pieces but very often I will make it entirely vegetarian and use a tempering of cumin, mustard seed, coriander seed and a red chilli cooked in a little oil until browned. This tempering is added to the dhal or soup just before serving and should give it a smoky flavour.
@Raelove (14029)
• Saco, Maine
I make my soup the old-fashioned Maine/Canadian way: peas, onions, ham bone or hock, water, salt and pepper. That's it. I cook the soup till the peas dissolve and thicken the liquid. If use a ham bone, I cut what meat off it there is once I take it out. If I use a hock, I just take it out and discard it, as there is usually not much, if any, meat left on it. I have added a bay leaf to the soup, but that's about it.
@Raelove I normally make my soup this way too. I like the bits of meat that come off the bone and stay in the soup.
@Raelove (14029)
• Saco, Maine
@JudyEv Yes, so do I. It's amazing how much flavor you can get out of onions, peas and a ham bone.
@Morleyhunt (15030)
I make pea soup in the crockpot. It is foolproof and tastes wonderful. Even better than the Habitant.
@Raelove (14029)
• Saco, Maine
Yes. The Habitant is good in a pinch or when you don't want to make a big pot of it. But homemade pea soup can't be beat.
@morelyhunt I make my soup in the crockpot too. So easy
We often have pea soup through the winter. It is certainly filling and warming.
@Raelove (14029)
• Saco, Maine
Yes, it is.
You could try a little bacon. It would add flavor without as much trouble.
@Raelove (14029)
• Saco, Maine
A ham hock isn't any trouble really. You just put it in at the beginning and then take it out and discard it. Bacon would be a bit more work if I cut it up first. And yes, a ham bone has to be trimmed of its meat once you remove it. And it doesn't give as much flavor as a hock does or as bacon might.
@Raelove So you keep ham hocks in the freezer or fridge?
@Raelove (14029)
• Saco, Maine
@ElizabethWallace When I buy them, yes. They come in packages of 2 or 3, and I only use 1 to make soup or beans. They keep a long time in the freezer. I don't use them often enough to just keep them in the fridge, so the freezer it is.
I want to try lentil soup in the slow cooker with a ham hock. I think it would be good.
@Raelove (14029)
• Saco, Maine
I'm not crazy about lentils. But tastes change, so I may try them again someday.
@Raelove ...I'm not either but my daughter likes them. I like pinto and kidney beans myself.
@Raelove (14029)
• Saco, Maine
@celticeagle I love beans of all types, too.
@fishtiger58 (28478)
• Momence, Illinois
I make pea soup about once a month, during the winter months. If I don't have ham I put in smoked sausage, hubby likes that. Not as good as a ham bone but sill delicious.
@Raelove (14029)
• Saco, Maine
I may try some thick-sliced bacon someday, too, for when I don't have a ham bone.
@fishtiger58 (28478)
• Momence, Illinois
@Raelove Oh bacon would be good, never thought of that.
@fishtiger58 I made pea soup once with cut up hot dogs which flavored it nicely since I didn't have a ham bone
I have that here in the can. I think they just used too much pepper.
@Raelove (14029)
• Saco, Maine
I use the canned soup once in a while. I haven't made it myself in a long time. But that way, you can control what goes into it.
@Raelove There is a packet here with the beans and seasoning and boy that soup is lovely.
@Raelove (14029)
• Saco, Maine
@sharon6345 I've seen those packets of beans and seasonings in the stores, but I've never tried them. Maybe it's time I do, huh?
That was my mother's favorite soup. It seemed we always had ham bones in the fridge for different soups dad made. He made them not mom.
@Raelove (14029)
• Saco, Maine
My father did a lot of cooking, too, once he was disabled and stayed home. My mother was always the soup person, though.
@Raelove Mom cooked everything but the soup.
@Raelove (14029)
• Saco, Maine
@kevin1877uk (35480)
I've never made it, but I do love split pea soup, mmm yum yum.
@Raelove (14029)
• Saco, Maine
Very easy to make, Kevin. The way I do it is to just put everything into the pot at once: chopped onions, peas, the ham bone or ham hock, and just enough water to cover. I bring this to a boil, reduce the heat, cover it, and let it simmer until the peas are soft and the soup is thicker. I season it then, and then let it simmer a little more. That's all there is to it. And the nice part about split peas is that you don't have to soak them before you use them.
@kevin1877uk (35480)
@Raelove Mmm I'll be over for some, yum.
@Raelove (14029)
• Saco, Maine
• Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Yumm I havent had pea soup in a while but I love it and it has alot of protein too
@Raelove (14029)
• Saco, Maine
Yes it does. It's actually a very healthy soup.
@Rondout50 (218)
• Kingston, New York
I love split pea soup, When I buy bacon I cut off the big fatty pieces and put that n the freezer, I ust it up in my beans if there is not smething else around.
@Raelove (14029)
• Saco, Maine
I've made beans with bacon, and they were good.
That is a good idea to use a ham hock. We do cook a ham now and then and then cut it up to freeze.
@Raelove (14029)
• Saco, Maine
I live alone, so cooking a big ham for the bone wouldn't be economical for me. But ham hocks work well.
We have that pea soup from Habitant too here in Canada.
@Raelove (14029)
• Saco, Maine
It's been around a long time, and is actually very good for a canned product.
@Platespinner (16816)
I haven't made pea soup in a while....hmmm. Now I'm hungry .
@Raelove (14029)
• Saco, Maine
I haven't either. I made myself hungry when I wrote this!
I'll be making pea soup soon as I have a ham bone in my freezer. I love to make it in my crockpot ..it's easy to simmer it and not have to worry about it all day while it's cooking. I love pea soup!!
@Raelove (14029)
• Saco, Maine
So do I. Haven't had it in awhile. It's time.
That is one soup that neither my husband nor I like so I don't have to worry about making any. Today and tomorrow will be awfully mild, so I'm taking a break from making soup this weekend.
@Raelove (14029)
• Saco, Maine
My daughter liked it, but my son never did.
Not a fan of peas, in fact I made a store-bought pasta salad last night and picked the peas out as I was fixing it. If someone set a bowl of split pea soup in front of me, it would turn into a bowl of spilt pea soup.
@Raelove (14029)
• Saco, Maine
We all have our tastes and preferences. I love peas in all their forms, fresh or dried.
@scheng1 (24970)
I do not have much liking for pea soup. However, I like a nice corn soup. Tonight I make duck wing and corn soup. It is really nice. I have not finished the duck wings, and I think I will just heat it up and add more corn.