It's not plagiarism, but...

By JJ
The scenario: You start a discussion...oh, let's say about...um...nuclear reactors. So you're talking about it, and how interesting it was to you, and yada yada yada... And you post a photo of it...the photo is in the public domain, so it is free to use by all. Perfectly acceptable to use here. No problem. No guideline violation. Then someone asks where you got the photo...and instead of saying 'from Wikipedia' (or wherever) you say "I took it." Which is a fabrication...or as I have been known to call it, a big fat lie. And you have people commenting on how nice that photo is 'you took'. Now, I haven't seen the guidelines specifically state 'Don't lie', but suddenly (to me at least) everything else you have ever stated or will state in the future is now suspect. And I really wonder: Why? Why lie about something so inconsequential? You can't gain anything from it here, but you can definitely lose something...my belief in anything you say. If you lie about something that small, how can I believe anything bigger you might say? And it isn't that you perhaps forgot about something, and someone reminds you, and you correct your mistake. It isn't a 'mistake'...it's a lie. Why?
@fishtiger58 (30380)
• Momence, Illinois
It's a mystery to us all. I don't lie. My mom told me once a lie is a lie and you will lie over and over again to cover that lie. The truth is just that because it's in your brain and will always be the truth. Makes a ton of sense, hence I don't lie ever.
A person's word...their credibility, if you will...is one of the most important aspects about them. Lying does nothing but damage your credibility, and should be avoided. This is not to say I have never lied...I make no claims to being the world's most honest man...I have many faults, and a less than stellar past...but I just don't get it. I got to a point where my word was the only thing I really had, and it became quite a bit more important to me.
@fishtiger58 (30380)
• Momence, Illinois
@JolietJake I agree with you, we are imperfect humans, we all have our faults, I have lied too and was ashamed and admitted my lies to the person I lied to namely my mom. I feel better that I could apologize to her before she passed away, it gives me peace. Most of that was as a kid trying to avoid getting in trouble. But since becoming an adult I don't lie.
@fishtiger58 I may lie by omission, and not stating all the facts about something (I'd be a great politician!), but to tell one straight out...I like to think I am past that.
@Orson_Kart (4309)
It takes a lot of bottle to call someone a plagiarist. Why? Coz it's bloody difficult to spell. Thank heavens for copy and paste.
Thank heavens for spell Czech
You are a playjarist ... a playjerist ... a play ... dad-burn it yer a copy cat and ya stoled that thar pitcher.
@LilyBeBack (2010)
I'm so nosey, I wish I could psychically know who you're talking about I told a lot of lies as a child, and that bled into my teenage years, and as an adult this means I still sometimes have to consciously stop myself from reverting back to the habit.
Could I be your psychic sidekick?
@Orson_Kart Yes JUST AS LONG AS YOU DON'T KICK MY SIDE. Or any other part of me...
Yes, why lie about it? Just give credit where credit is due is all.
I guess I shouldn't be surprised, I've seen people that claim to be writers steal material from others and then post it as their own...but then, that is actual plagiarism...a photographer claiming they took a photo that isn't theirs, that is in the public domain...you can't really call it plagiarism, but all the same...
@JolietJake It may be public domain, but that doesn't mean someone can go ahead and claim that they actually took it - because they didn't. What if I invite a friend over for dinner and I serve them a burger that looks and tastes exactly like a Big Mac - but I tell them I cooked it myself. It's gonna be pretty obvious that I didn't make it - and I'm the one that's gonna look stupid!
@Mike197602 (13365)
• Worcester, England
I've only just started using photos...can't lie about where they came from as I've mentioned on here before I don't have a camera I just look for them and use the ones labelled for reuse. If you didn't take a picture yourself then you shouldn't really say you did.
@Mike197602 (13365)
• Worcester, England
PS...about the credibility point you make, I totally agree. Some people have known me for years on here and trust that I tell the truth...if I said one lie all that would be out the window.
@AnneEJ (5026)
• Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, Quebec
I can't understand why anyone would like about a photo. Either it is your own, or you got it somewhere else, so why not tell the truth.
The lie is compounded a bit by the person saying they are a photographer...which I have seen some of their actual photos, and they are quite good.
@thesids (22363)
• Bhubaneswar, India
On another thought.... dint they mean... they "took it" off from somewhere? just thinking....
But I did take it! I took it from the page where it was displayed in the public domain.
They must have been outside on their laptop with the router inside since they took it through the living room window
@JolietJake I have tried to take pictures through the window like that (actual pictures with the camera), but many of them do not turn out well, especially if I am trying to zoom in on an animal in the backyard.
@purplealabaster Mine always get a bit fuzzy when I zoom through the window, but I don't have a real good camera either
@Rollo1 (16653)
• Boston, Massachusetts
I am not sure that anyone would use the internet, let alone social media, if they couldn't lie like a rug.
I can almost understand when people lie sometimes, but something that can be so easily detected...
@Rollo1 (16653)
• Boston, Massachusetts
@JolietJake You may not have noticed (since you spend so much time here on myLot amongst the upper IQ echelons of the net) but a majority of people online are stupid. Yes, thick as a brick. I saw an example when someone stole a photograph from Facebook from a friend who is a photographer and the photo was of her daughter. He used it to win a photography contest! Now, that's being pretty cheeky! She did notice because she is a photographer and frequents things like contests and she complained and they did take h is prize away. But that took both stupidity and chutzpah. And the net is full of them. That's why we're safer here on myLot.
Every writing site has to cope with the problem of copyright photos. I have seen many here with the "Shutterstock" logo embedded on it. Those photos are NOT free. There are so many sites that offer free photos, but people still have to post those that are covered by copyright. I gave up, now if I see a copyright photo, I report.
Yeah, but these are free photos, they are just claiming they took it...weird...
@JolietJake I know, but it is easy to see if a photo has already been published on the web, making a reverse search. Save the photo, upload to this site and it checks if it already exists.
TinEye is a reverse image search engine. Search by image: Give it an image and it will tell you where the image appears on the web.
@IreneVincent (16034)
I know some people will lie about the most inconsequential things. It makes no sense to me. Like someone I know who says she doesn't eat sweets and I spent a week at her house on a visit. She had to work one day and I was looking for a pair of scissors. I opened a drawer and what did I find? Cookies. I opened another drawer and what did I find? Candy. I never did find any scissors. I never mentioned it to her, because I probably shouldn't have been looking in the drawers in the first place but I was doing so very innocently. Just looking for scissors.
I used to associate with a guy that would rather tell a lie than the truth, and I never understood it. He told so many small lies about things that really didn't matter, but he told so many that he was always tripping over them and changing his stories...
I thought we had to give credit to any photos we use on here.
Nope, that was a 'B' rule that a lot of people have been doing here, but it isn't a requirement
@aju007 (1471)
• Thiruvananthapuram, India
I dont know if people lie about the photo here. If you have seen some and you know it for sure then its bad. And in my opinion, it shouldnt be tolerated.
I'm sure most photos that people use here, and they say are their own, are most likely their own. But in a sense of curiosity, I searched a photo earlier, and found where it came from. Then I saw in the discussion the person say it was theirs, with the unstated assumption being made they had recently took it. However, the photo is from 2007, and from someone else.
@JESSY3236 (6039)
I never lie about where I found the photos. I have once talked to a girl on a computer game and she says the picture is her, but I found out it's a stock picture.
@acelawrites (10929)
It is the hardest thing to lose: credibility!
That's really the issue here - if that person has told a lie like this, I would never trust anything they say again.
@crossbones27 (18524)
• Redlands, California
It seems that is the world we live in now. Business leaders constantly lie about how their products are made and what is in their products. Politicians constantly lie about what they stand for, actually do, and about other politicians. We simply do not have very good leaders who set the right example. People should be able to think for themselves but mostly people just copy other people's example. Group think is dangerous. lol
Possibly hte person did not realize that onc e you tell one lie it will lead more then you are in deep doggie do do .A smart person tells the tfuth as ts so simple and ho est, nothing to have to cover up with bigger and bigger l ies.I do not l ie as its easy to be honest and tell te truth always so simple not complicated at all
It is sad but some have to lie about everything. They live in a completely different world.
I never say I took it.I say public domain and that is understandable. If I took the photo.Then tell them that the photo is mine.No big deal