Couldn't Fool Daddy!

@UncleJoe (10251)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Sometimes it scares me that I can remember events from my childhood in such detail, but I am really foggy on what happened yesterday. Every time I reach back into my memory for another tidbit to post, all of those old stories become clear as day. That is why it was so easy for me to remember this one. Because I had two older brothers, every third week it was my turn to mow the lawn. Although I love to mow grass now, back then I hated it. My older, and wiser siblings would make sure they performed their duty early, before the lawn grew too high. A slight rain shower would make the lush green literally burst from the ground in thick wet clumps. During one of my turns, I had procrastinated all week. When Friday came, my brothers and all the neighborhood kids were going swimming at the river, but I still had to complete my chore. Then getting a brainstorm, I figured out how to get out of mowing. Pushing the mower around behind the shed where nobody could see me, I removed the spark plug. Then, taking a brick, I tapped on the electrode and closed the spark gap. There was no way it could fire. After replacing it back in the cylinder head, I pushed it around to the back door to show my dad. The mower was dead. It wasn’t going to crank. See Yank! Yank! Can I go swimming with everybody else? “Sure, son!” he agreed, “Just let me check something real quick, first!” My dad went to his tool box, and of all things, he came back with a spark plug wrench. After unscrewing the plug and inspecting my handiwork, he only mumbled, “Hmmm? I wonder how that could have happened. The next thing I knew, he had that old mower running and I was sweating my little tail off while everybody else splashed and cooled their heels in the river.
@IreneVincent (16025)
Great childhood memory. Thanks for sharing it. I never had to mow the lawn. I had three brothers. And four sons.
As kids, we don't think about much other the immediate - like what Dad will do when you bring out the 'broken' mower.
I never had any chore.The only one that I had is starvation and life.
@UncleJoe you had a very smart dad. Must of been the guilt written all over your face.
So your Dad was a really smart man that you could not out smart.
@UncleJoe (10251)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Not only smart, but more experienced at being a boy.
Smart daddy. This may seem off topic but your memory made me think of this. The doctor had decided my dad had to stop driving and we all agreed. His dementia had progressed and my brother made his car undrivable in a similar way. My dad kept asking me to help him get the car into the shop for repairs and I kept putting him off kindly. Well, one day my brother stopped by and there was a new car in Dad's driveway. He had called a tow truck, got the car to the dealership and traded it in on a new car. Some days his mind worked better than others and he showed us we couldn't just put him off.
lol, that's what happens when you procrastinate!
@AunBecky (170)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
i always liked your dad.
@UncleJoe That served you right! - your dad knew you better than you thought.
@Platespinner (16772)
Shame on you! I was a perfect little and never did anything to get out of chores (I just got really good at reading for 30 minutes and then speed cleaning for 60 seconds....)
• Pleasant Hill, California
I wonder if he'd done something similar when he was young. Or maybe he just heard you as you were "at work."