Can Bubblews be held accountable to their former contributors?

In scanning the interesting discussion here on Mylot, I can't help but notice there are many articles about Bubblews and how many participants were left disappointed. What I never see is if anyone ever actually pursued any formal action against them. I realize that many of the Bubblews writers were out of the country and Bubblews seemed to be based out of California. Some of the writers claimed they were not paid hundreds of dollars. It may seem like a lot of effort, but did any of the local writers use the small claims court? There are many resources on the internet for reporting fraudulent or unlawful conduct. I do not know the particulars of each case but the few I have read, seem to say they were actively mislead. Whether a person who feels they have been wronged are in the US or abroad, it appears from simple online reporting forms, it seems this would be a simple process. Have any of these writers used Internet Crime Complaint Center (also know as the IC3) which investigates activities conducted through the internet? If there is a company in California that a consumer wants investigated, there is a direct contact for the Office of the California Attorney General. The point I am making is that although it is said "the pen is mightier than the sword" simply writing blogs and complaining about a possible scam seems unlikely to get anyone satisfied. There are channels both from the Federal government (like the IC3) and the state where the business is being conducted in and investigators on the ready. Seems to me if enough people take the time and make a formal complaint, these agencies and their investigators will take it seriously. I am not saying people cannot vent and express their opinions, but it also seems that by following available resources, at least a person knows that they have not "taken the law into their own hands". By using those entrusted to investigate and carry out the law, it may truly send a message that there is much more to good business than just talk.
A few thing you (and everyone else) agreed to when joining Bubblews: "THESE TERMS OF SERVICE PROVIDES THAT ALL DISPUTES WILL BE RESOLVED BY BINDING ARBITRATION AND NOT IN COURT OR BY JURY TRIAL. YOU ALSO AGREE TO RELINQUISH YOUR RIGHT TO PARTICIPATE AS A CLASS REPRESENTATIVE OR CLASS MEMBER ON ANY CLASS ACTION CLAIM YOU MAY HAVE AGAINST BUBBLEWS." (Capital letters are theirs, not mine) The entire Terms of Service page can be viewed here:
Content creation and discovery platform where users can come to express their opinions, meet like-minded individuals and be compensated for their posts.
There is obviously a misconception about what these agencies do. The link for the IC3 is here and if anyone wants the information for any activity on the internet that they feel should be investigated here it is:
Filing a Complaint with the IC3 The IC3 accepts online Internet crime complaints from either the actual victim or from a third party to the complainant. We can best process your complaint if we receive accurate and complete information from you. Therefore,
@desertdawg Yes, they can investigate, and turn their findings over to the FBI...that's what they do. It doesn't change anything you agreed to when joining a site. Like I said, feel free to do whatever, but it's a waste of time in my opinion. Any criminal investigation of 'B' is going to wind up hurting most of the members here in the USA, because I am sure 95% of them never claimed any earnings they made on their taxes...and that will show up in any investigation of the site...but go right ahead.
@tallawah (7389)
• Kingston, Jamaica
That para means nothing. One can not oust the jurisdiction of the Courts.
@Mike197602 (13525)
• Worcester, England
I'd love it if those bubblews twaats were taken to court I'd even chip in for the lawyer Yes the terms of service say blah blah blah but I've watched The Good Wife...I know a lawyer could be found in the US to take ANY case as long as they're paid. Lets get the crowdfunding started....who's first to stump up some of their ACTUAL money????....Oh...nobodycase closed before it's started. Nice idea but not going to happen is it as most people won't put their money where their mouth is
Some people may realize that after signing a contract (which all of us did) that to turn around and ignore that contract could theoretically end up with B suing us...not worth my $17. And all those people that kept redeeming when they already had unpaid redemptions...you think they would have got the hint on the first one...it was always my policy that the first unpaid one would be the last one.
@Mike197602 (13525)
• Worcester, England
@JolietJake nobody is going to court That being said if I ever came across that Arvind I'd like to see him write his world with 2 broken arms after a severe bat beating
The point was that small amounts add up to a lot. The discussion I raised was not about a class action (for a civil recovery) but a FREE online report of suspected wrongdoing. Put Internet Crime Complaint in your browser and see what it says.
• Denmark
I'm German and live in Germany. I couldn't do anything anyway.
Reports are taken and investigated from all over the world. Here is a bit about what they do:
The mission of the Internet Crime Complaint Center is to provide the public with a reliable and convenient reporting mechanism to submit information to the Federal Bureau of Investigation concerning suspected Internet-facilitated criminal activity and to d
@tallawah (7389)
• Kingston, Jamaica
If you do a search you'll find how many people have reported the site. It was a fraud and it closed.
I would be curious as to where they reported it. I did do a search and I see a lot of blogs talking about it but I do not see to whom they made a report. Thanks for your thoughts.
@tallawah (7389)
• Kingston, Jamaica
@desertdawg you are very welcome
@irishidid (8152)
They should have done right by the members but unfortunately there is no way to make them pay. I have to agree with Morley, it would be pointless to try.
I would simply say look at the site for the IC3 (put it in the browser). If people really feel they were harmed it is a simple process and this should be promoted more since people do feel helpless.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@desertdawg I may check it out. Thanks for the heads up.
Simply put, "no". Bubblews never stated that anyone would receive money...they said you may receive money. By all means, I encourage anyone to try, but I am fairly certain that they are legally covered.
@Mike197602 (13525)
• Worcester, England
they may say that but I'd bet some lawyers would take a case if they were paid enough Comes down to who has the most cash sometimes. Maybe there's some rich and pissed off bubblews member who hires a lawyer and the bubblews people just want to settle Maybe the bubblews members should take out a class action and each pay some of the legal fees in exchange for some of the settlement.
@Mike197602 They agreed to a legal contract forbidding them to file a CA lawsuit...
@Mike197602 (13525)
• Worcester, England
@JolietJake As I mentioned below/above...I know US law as I watch the good wife regularly What people say in a contract doesn't mean sh*t once a good lawyer gets the case
Thanks for the info.I did not have any problem with them. Received all of my money.
You are welcome. It is handy information to have and it seems many are not aware of what these folks do.
@Auntylou (4410)
• Oxford, England
You lucky so and so !
• Indianapolis, Indiana
I don't blame you for being upset. I do, was burned. My problem is, places like Yahoo and Associated Content ran off with far more money then that. Always easy to hide behind a contract for $2 x 3,000,000. No, Yahoo owes me more like hundreds, but you get the picture. Who gonna sue for $2 ?
Thanks for your input. There is a big difference between suing (or arbitrating) and reporting conduct that could be considered fraudulent or a deceptive trade practice. From the responses to this post it seems clear that most people do not want to follow through, even if it is simply filling out a form. If enough people came forward against any business I am quite sure there would be an investigation on a state or federal level.
@Lucky15 (33687)
Should be..but nah. Sigh
Again, it seems that you should just search IC3 and read what they say. If people could avoid liability for criminal behavior (if it is found to be such) then all would hide behind waivers.
@softbabe44 (5958)
• Vancouver, Washington
That's a good idea what about a class action lawsuit.
@desertdawg maybe, but I doubt anything wlll happen.
@MarymargII (8370)
• Toronto, Ontario
Perhaps someone has and we wouldn't know- as it takes ages to go through any court action.
@amnabas (9943)
• Karachi, Pakistan
Just leave those cunning people who played with people's hopes and emotions.
@Auntylou (4410)
• Oxford, England
I doubt it very much
Apathy is often what allows wrongs to go without a remedy. Remember how Bank of America was taken to task for bounce fee practices....Mortgage companies and banks....soit does not matter that it may be a small amount for many...it is the practices that harm people that are the subject of investigations and prosecution that not only punish the wrongdoer but hopefully deter others. Bigger organizations have been called to task than writing sites, but if no one cares to follow up...even with a simple request for an investigation, then yes it can fall by the wayside.
@Auntylou (4410)
• Oxford, England
@desertdawg Problem is they exist no more and if as @:nameless says, they were not making profits , then there would have been no profit to share
@Auntylou The "officers" still exist. Anyone who was on the site near the end may even recall them asking to vote for them for outstanding young CEO or something like that. Their blogs encouraged everyone to hang on and keep contributing. To those quoting the site, it is down, but NO ONE ever agreed to waive arbitration and it is against public policy for people to waive their rights to make complaints with governing authorities. If any agency took these young savvy officers to task, I would hope it would deter the next writing site from taking all the revenues and closing the doors.
@UmiNoor (3427)
I think the owners of Bubblews is banking on the fact that people won't do anything except complain online and blogging about it. It's quite a hassle to lodge a complaint because you need to provide documentation which Bubblews didn't seem very forthcoming. Unless you've screenshot all your redemptions, there are hardly much documents to support your complaints.
@UmiNoor (3427)
@desertdawg Yes, it would be interesting to see what investigations will come up with. I would be curious to look at Bubblews' books. Then we can see how much they're really earning.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@desertdawg Was it 400 words? Or 400 characters?
@swissheart (6254)
it would be interesting if they could actually be made responsable for their fraudulent behaviour
There is strength in numbers...seems most folks though would rather not even fill out a simple on line complaint form. That is what these agencies are for...tax dollars support them. If anyone kept the emails or the posts of the management staff, I think it would speak volumes to any investigator.
@dianadee (1766)
• South Africa
I would rather just move on and not dwell on it too much.
@carexing25 (1829)
i just don't wanna talk about it anymore.. i think it's better to just let go of our contributions to Bubblews..
• Pleasant Hill, California
I Know that many people reported Bubblews to the Better Business Bureau, but I'm not sure if anyone actually tried to take them to Court.
@artemeis (4023)
I really like to file a complaint and take this Arvind to the courts even if it means spending the money to do so. However, I wonder if going through the trouble and just get back that few hundred dollars payback would suffice here. I want to permanently put him out of business like he wouldn't be able to start-up any businesses real time or online, he wouldn't be able to sit in any managerial position of any legitimate money making businesses. Literally, I want to see to it that his entire career as a business owner or high management is over. I felt that such a character is unfit and unqualified to run any business. He has no ethics and morality in any of his bones. So unless we have this angle I'm sure there will be takers!