When the Articles are Not The Same

@tallawah (7563)
Kingston, Jamaica
If you write history or current events or any kind of factual article, the facts can't change. Columbus landed in Jamaican in 1494. The Brits took Jamaica in 1655. There is no way to change these years. If I write a 2500 word piece for Big Site in 2008 which covers the Spanish incursion into the West Indies, the genocide, the slavery and end with the British conquest what I am writing has been written about thousands of times before. What makes it original is how I deal with the facts. If I were to write that article today, it would be substantially different. I've gotten new information and a new perspective. If I were to take that item and break it into five separate pieces, but reworked each piece so that the first would be; "Why the Spanish?" and the last would be; "Cromwell's easiest victory," although the names and dates could not be changed, my focus and word usage has. Too often people feel that if they wrote an item in 2008 they can never touch the topic again. That is not true. I know more today than I did then, and my skill as a writer has improved. The articles would not be the same.
This is very true and very interesting. When I was young I believed everything I read but of course there is plenty of stuff out there that is false.
@tallawah (7563)
• Kingston, Jamaica
Things change. New information comes up. The texts could say one thing and then there's a discovery and the texts are wrong. You can't just close the door and say 'done and dusted', for even today there are revelations, and different slants.
@Missmwngi (9690)
• Nairobi, Kenya
Sure they would never be the same and not to mention writers have different styles of writing
@tallawah (7563)
• Kingston, Jamaica
they couldn't be...over time and skill and new information...