Yard Sale Treasures

@UncleJoe (9461)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
One of the many things that my beloved and I enjoy doing together is cruising the yard sales. With such beautiful weather and comfortable temperatures this past Saturday that is exactly what we did. One particular sale where we stopped appeared to have an abundance of so many goodies. You know the old saying, “One man’s trash is another man’s treasure!” At first glance it certainly appears that way. While Becky busied herself in her quest to save us so much money in buying so many useless items that we had absolutely no need for, I pursued my own interests. I am always keeping a keen eye out for that specific treasure. One that the seller surrenders for pennies that I can turn into a fortune. If you’ve ever watched Pawn Stars then you know what I’m talking about. Unfortunately, I found none of those items but I managed to pick up something else that I am always on the lookout for. Movies. We never go to a theater anymore because it doesn’t take long before all the blockbusters are available on DVD. Then I can sit at home and enjoy them in comfort more easily. I found out the hard way that theater personnel frown on me relaxing in my underwear. There is another source of entertainment that I keep a watchful eye out for as well. Books. I never buy new books because, like movies, I can usually find an abundance of good reading material at one of these sales. I picked up one very nice looking hard back with a very appealing title. “How to Hug”. It immediately peaked my interest so I paid my dollar and took it home, placing it on my night stand. I love to read before retiring. I could hardly wait until bedtime because I was more than curious to discover why and how someone would devote a complete study on this subject. Imagine my disappointment when I propped myself comfortably with pillows and discovered that “How to Hug” was volume seven from a set of encyclopedias!
@Marcyaz (35765)
You never know by a title what is inside until you read it. I also love browsing the sales like that adn have found many usuable items I usually am looking for good books to read and once in a while I will find a DVD that I hadn't seen. One time I saw a beautiful old singer sewing machine (the kind with the peddles) and I was able to buy it for $5. I am using it as an end table where my big couch sits and I can only have one table there.
@sallypup (26289)
• Moses Lake, Washington
This lonesome post needs an answer. I can't imagine an entire set of Hug Tomes. I guess there must be, though. Perhaps you've bought the rarest of them all and will make your fortune with this one after you've skimmed through its pages.
@dianadee (1729)
• South Africa
Love junk shops..most exciting place to go ! Never know what you will find next.
@Katlynn (377)
I love getting good deals at yard sales. I also have yard sales a few times during the spring and summer. I also prefer watching movies on DVD as opposed to going to the theatre. But, I've never been frowned upon for being in my underwear LOL Something tells me you could write your own book on How to Hug!
• Riga, Latvia
@UncleJoe ah, the good old days. I used to love going to yard sales when I lived in the states. Here in Latvia we are not allowed to have either yard or garage sales. Alas and I would have so much to share plus I could use the money.
I work Sat, and miss out on these, but I have to admit I love garage sales, and hahaha on the book
Haha. I was wondering how you were going to make a joke out of this one. You didn't fail me.
LOL! You are too funny! I have a friend who has amassed a small fortune in rare Crystal and china. Then again, you have to know what you're doing at yard sales.
@pgiblett (6603)
I have never done it but I have often thought about buying from these sales and reselling through free on-line classifieds.