How did the groundhog know???

By JJ
His Lordship, Ruler of the Universe, the Evil Demon Spawn Scar has been running window to window after something, and I couldn't see anything. So I finally got the binoculars out and looked, and about that time a damn groundhog, of all things, ran across the end of the yard...that's either very coincidental, or extremely strange... I wanted to post a photo of it, but it's pretty far away and keeps ducking back into the brush. Maybe it got scared of its shadow...although it's cloudy out so it shouldn't have much of one.
@pgiblett (6650)
Can the cat or groundhog really tell us whether it will be colder for the next 6 weeks, or it it packing its bags?
I'm just trying to figure out how it knew it was Groundhog Day and needed to make an appearance
@pgiblett (6650)
@JolietJake Clearly it had tapped into your cable and saw the news. Popping out was more about saying "its my turn, enough of those other hogs stealing the show".
@Mike197602 (13344)
• Worcester, England
Will be admitting something that makes me look an idiot I didn't know what a ground hog was except for a film title Had to look it up...we don't have them here. Looks a bit like a ferret or some big rat type thing My cat in Ireland would try to kill it as he kills everything he can....don't know how well he'd do against this animal though.
Here groundhogs have mystical powers that predict whether or not we will have six more weeks of winter.
This is extremely confusing now, your groundhog did not see his shadow, the other one did. What we have to expect now?
That spring will start in March, like always
@JolietJake This is the best prediction I ever heard.
@JESSY3236 (4535)
Maybe he has a calendar in his hole, and noticed it is his day to come out.
A groundhog pin-up calendar, perhaps
I watch Wild Kratts, so I can tell you why groundhogs come out this time of year.
He didn't see his shadow I guess. Maybe he got away from them
If he was running around, perhaps that means he didn't see his shadow, which is good for me too, since I typically get the weather you have, just a few hours later...
Maybe Scar scared away its shadow too!