Funny Thing About Coffee

@Raelove (16819)
Saco, Maine
I was well into adulthood before I ever took my first sip of coffee, and I didn't like it at all. Yet, I absolutely adore the aroma of it brewing. It's one of those things that smells a lot better to me than it tastes. I find the aroma rich and full and satisfying, but the taste of coffee is bitter to me. When I do drink it, I have to add lots of stuff to "kill" that bitterness, or I won't drink it. For that reason, one of my favorites is the Dunkin Donuts Dunkachino. I still have some credit left on the DD gift card my grandson gave me when I was in the hospital last fall, so I bought myself one yesterday. I always ask for extra cream, and it's the only coffee I ever drink right down to the bottom. Of course, true coffee lovers will say that they prefer the real thing black or with cream, with sugar or without. Am I the only person on the planet who finds the taste of coffee too bitter? I know people who can go through a pot or two of it in a day, as they say they are "addicted to it" and they can't function without it. Doesn't look like I'll ever be one of them at this rate. (Public Domain Image)
The real good coffee should not taste bitter or "too strong", but it's hard to find. I am not addicted but I love coffee and after lunch my espresso machine refused to work. I was so upset, it works now, but the coffee time is off limit. I never drink coffee after 2 pm.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
I suppose it must be. Folger's has a mild breakfast blend that isn't too bad as long as I "kill" the bitterness with mocha creamer. Otherwise, it's still bitter to me.
@fishtiger58 (30371)
• Momence, Illinois
I am a coffee addict. Love it all day long, I add just about half a teaspoon of sugar to my coffee with a splash of milk. My son likes it as strong as he can make it and drinks it black. He loves the bitterness of it. I have found the coffee on the west coast is extremely strong, they apparently like it that way. I bought my son a pound of strong coffee while I was in Oregon last month. He told me he loves it.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
I have a friend who bought Keurig and drinks it all day long when she's not working. Whenever we'd go out together when she was still here in Maine, she'd have to stop somewhere to buy one. Yup. She's an addict!
@fishtiger58 (30371)
• Momence, Illinois
@Raelove My sister has a Keurig loves it.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
@fishtiger58 That would be good for someone like me who drinks it only occasionally. Too expensive, though. Even the small ones are over $100. Don't need one that badly.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I love coffee! But I prefer a smoother darker roast.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
Smooth is good, but it's never quite smooth enough for me without a "smooth" creamer in it.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@Raelove I'm enjoying a dark Trader Joe's coffee right now. Not very bitter at all. Interesting that darker roasts have less caffeine.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
@TheHorse I wish I could get past even that "not very bitter" taste. Even that ruins it for me. Something that smells that good when it's brewing shouldn't taste that bad. But it does. Believe me, I've tried to develop a taste for coffee, as it does offer some health benefits. But other than the Dunkin Donuts type I wrote about, I have never managed to down an entire cup before it turns cold and I lose interest. I have decided that I may be 65 years old but my taste preferences put me at somewhere around 6.
@Marcyaz (35751)
I have a cup of coffee every morning and I use a creamer with mine.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
Even with creamer, that bitter taste still comes through for me. I have to use one of those flavored creamers, like mocha, for that not to happen.
@Marcyaz (35751)
@Raelove I do not care for any of that flavored creamer just the regular.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
@Marcyaz Then you're a "real" coffee lover, unlike me.
I don't think, you'll be addicted in any way as you consume only a cup or two in a day. Really, some others would take coffee hour by hour, their perk in their job. I like coffee, too, especially in the morning as I woke up. Coffee with pandesal (our local bread) I drink barako,coffee " our local strong coffee. I don't add any creamer so as to maintain its brew and taste..
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
I drink one or two a week, not a day. And some weeks, I don't drink any at all!
@Raelove oh sorry, you rarely drink coffee...for coffee not to taste bitter, others put in more creamer and sugar, to taste sweet... coffee capuchino is also sweet, chocolatey, try it
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
@grandbrix I find that the sweetness or extra creamer not mask the bitter taste. And if it's too sweet, it's not drinkable. I had an uncle, long since deceased, who used to put 5-6 teaspoons of sugar in his coffee. If the coffee ends up being nothing more than mostly creamer and sugar, I might as well just drink a glass of milk!
@mom210 (6517)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I am the same way, my hubby drinks flavored coffee's and they smell so good. I have even had a sip form time to time and it just smells so much better than it tastes.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
I know a few people who love vanilla-flavored coffee or creamer. It smells great, but never tastes as good to me. I like vanilla ice cream but not vanilla coffee. And get this: I ADORE coffee ice cream!!! I'm not too messed-up, am I???
@mom210 (6517)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@Raelove I have tried coffee flavored ice cream and bla do not even like that, nothing coffee flavored for me. I will just enjoy the smell. It is funny, hubby never drank any coffee for years and years then, one year he got a coffee pot for Christmas, bingo. he started to drink coffee every day.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
@mom210 That is funny. I don't understand why I like coffee ice cream. I think it's because it's not bitter and very creamy and cool. If it were bitter-tasting, I wouldn't eat it.
@garymarsh6 (13199)
OH Rachel I am a coffee addict. I like to smell and taste it. I used to put the coffee on a timer so that as I got up in the morning the smell of coffee would waft up the stairs as I came out of the bathroom and be ready by time I got dressed. My wife banned me from doing it as she is not a coffee drinker and does not like the smell so you can imagine I am running riot as she is away! LOL!
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
I'm a cross between you and your wife: I don't like the taste, but I adore the smell of it brewing. So back when I had a machine with a timer (when I didn't live alone), I'd set it just to be able to wake up to the smell. I do drink an occasional cup, and I love a good iced-coffee. But I have to tweak the bitter flavor a lot to enjoy it.
@Scindhia (1958)
• Chennai, India
Coffee can be prepared according to your wish - strong,light,creamy. Also there are different mixed flavors available in the market. Maybe you should try them and find out which one you would prefer.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
I have tried them, as I stated. That's the only way I can drink coffee.
Coffee to me whatever.I am not too fuzzy on coffee.Just have two in the morning and that is it.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
I have maybe 1 or 2 a week, if that.
I am a big coffee drinker and yet two of my four children dislike coffee. Even though they are adults neither of them have any desire to drink coffee. As for my other two, they drink coffee like I do. Guess it's all a matter of preference
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
I wonder why some people like some tastes while others don't. Why is it unpleasantly bitter to some than it is to others? I'm betting that taste buds vary from person to person.
When I still have my sense of smell, I loved, loved the smell of coffee and I too, thought it smells better than it tastes.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
Good. Then I'm not the only one!
Have you ever tried Italian cappuccino? You won't touch American coffee again after getting to know it. It's the best.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
I've heard of it but never tried it. I do like most cappuccino's, so I'm sure I'd like this one.
I am a coffee lover. I drink it black and strong.
@aju007 (1471)
• Thiruvananthapuram, India
I too like the aroma more than its taste!
@scheng1 (24811)
I like some kind of coffee black without sugar. However, for most coffee, I like it with sugar and milk. If no milk is available, then creamer will do.