Sushi: My Next Food Challenge

@Raelove (17657)
Saco, Maine
While at the Asian market today, I spent some time researching ingredients to make sushi. I've never had it before, but I know that I don't want to use raw fish. There are lots of other ways to make it using just rice and vegetables, so that's the way I'll make mine. I couldn't decide on what type of wrapper to buy, so I got a package of soy wrappers. It's a variety pack that contains sesame, original, turmeric, spinach, and paprika sheets. I need to research it a bit more so I'll know what rice to buy, but it looks like it's short-grain rice or sweet rice. As for vegetables, I watched it done on TV awhile back, and it looks like you can use anything that you can julienne so it fits inside the roll. That could be carrots, cucumbers, green onions, or avocado, all veggies I like raw. I'm excited to make it, as I am always eager to try something new and healthy. (Public Domain Image)
• Uzbekistan
julienne -- new word for me. And a strange one it is.
@Raelove (17657)
• Saco, Maine
It means slicing vegetables length-wise into thin narrow strips.
@yukimori (9092)
We do have quite a few odd ones, don't we? I'm rather fond of the word kampfsport myself... something about the way it sounds just appeals to me.
@Raelove Yes, but the French term julienne is only used for very narrow strips, that are not exactly what you need for a sushi.
While I am very into oriental food I prefer prefer to eat just raw fish w/o the rice and veggies. I learned to eat it at very authentic Japanese in NYC years ago. Raw tuna is delish. I can eat raw fish more easily than I cat eat most cooked foods.I ate a live shrimp once, just once!
@Raelove (17657)
• Saco, Maine
I could never eat anything alive and moving. At least you can say you did it!
@Raelove They cut the head off and the little eyes watched me eat the rest of the body. I think I had too much to drink that night LOL!
@Raelove (17657)
• Saco, Maine
@AbbyGreenhill I'd say you had too much of something. What a hoot. And how did you manage to never have nightmares about this after the fact?
I make sushi time by time, I buy the nori sheets (seaweeds) and the rice in an Asian specialty shop and I make my sushi, most of the time I use cooked shrimps or crab and avocado instead of raw fish.
@Raelove (17657)
• Saco, Maine
I know I'd like cooked shrimp or crab. Thanks. Lots of new ideas to try.
@Raelove To avoid raw fish, I have also used smoked salmon and slices of cucumbers, they were good.
@yukimori (9092)
@Raelove Imitation crab sticks are also a common protein in them, or seafood salad.
@garymarsh6 (14601)
That looks quite delicious. I guess you could use shrimp in them if sliced thinly or salmon? The vegetables alone sound good enough and dipped into soy sauce. Oh my mouth is watering.
@Raelove (17657)
• Saco, Maine
I've yet to make them, as I still don't have all the ingredients I need. Mine will be with vegetables or maybe imitation crab, which I love. I have to find a less expensive brand of short-grained rice in case I don't like it.
@garymarsh6 (14601)
@Raelove Arborio rice might be a good choice. It is short grain and quite pleasant. Crab sticks would be great I should imagine.
@Raelove (17657)
• Saco, Maine
@garymarsh6 Yes, arborio, or the sticky rice sold at our local Asian market, which I visit often.
@suziecat7 (3392)
• Asheville, North Carolina
I like sushi but have never made my own. It's quite the process from what I understand. Enjoy!
@Raelove (17657)
• Saco, Maine
I will try it once and test it out. Can't know till I do!
@suziecat7 (3392)
• Asheville, North Carolina
@Raelove Make sure you let us know how it turns out.
@Raelove (17657)
• Saco, Maine
@suziecat7 I definitely will!
Just the word sushi turns my stomachh
@Raelove (17657)
• Saco, Maine
I'm curious about it. I will use just vegetables and rice in mine for starters. I'll decide then if I like it. I'm 65 and have never had it. It always turned me off till I learned it doesn't have to contain raw fish, which DOES turn me off.
@Raelove I am about the same age than you are and never tried it, because the raw fish turns me off too.
@Raelove (17657)
• Saco, Maine
@marlina That's why I never tried it. But now that I know I can use just veggies or imitation seafood, which isn't raw, I'm more eager to try it.
@yukimori (9092)
It's typically short-grain rice, although I've found that the Nishiki medium-grain works fairly well because it's pretty sticky. I've had sushi with avocado, carrots, cucumber, even things like cream cheese and jalapeno slices. My kindergartner loves the ones rolled in masago (fish eggs) for some reason... not really my cup of tea, but she has weird tastes. I've never had it made with anything but the typical nori (seaweed) wrappers. Let us know how it turns out!
@Raelove (17657)
• Saco, Maine
I will. Now that I've gotten the ingredients down, I'll be going back to the Asian store. Marketbasket also has short-grain rice, so it'll probably be cheaper there. Mmmm, now cream cheese sounds good, as well as jalapeno, though I'd go easy on that, as I'm not a big fan of very hot foods. Thanks for the tips!
@yukimori (9092)
@Raelove If you put the cream cheese and a thin slice of jalapeno together, it's a really good combination. The grocery store down the street make theirs with those ingredients, then top it with fried onions. It's surprisingly good.
@Raelove (17657)
• Saco, Maine
@yukimori That sounds good. Again, thanks!
• Preston, England
I love sushi though it can be very expensive
@Raelove (17657)
• Saco, Maine
This is why I am going to try making my own. Snowing today, so I'm not going out. Hope to get the rest of the ingredients this weekend.
@valmnz (12862)
• New Zealand
I absolutely love sushi. My favourite is a salmon one. However earlier in the week I had a cauliflower and nuts gluten free one. It was amazingly good
@Raelove (17657)
• Saco, Maine
Hmmmm, nuts. They do make many foods even better.
@Angel_15 (676)
• Manila, Philippines
If you don't like raw fish maybe you could put some eggs in it.
@Raelove (17657)
• Saco, Maine
I found lots of other things I can use that I like. It will be fun to try something new.
I have never made my own but I do enjoy eating vegetable sushi or ones with cooked fish or shrimp.
@Raelove (17657)
• Saco, Maine
I've never had premade sushi. So this will be a first all the way around for me.
@Lucky15 (33687)
i love sushi. cucumber and avocados inside the rice, yum!
@Raelove (17657)
• Saco, Maine
I'd like both of those. Good ideas.
• Walnut Creek, California
You can also use cooked shrimp or eel. I like sushi!
@Raelove (17657)
• Saco, Maine
Well, it won't be eel, as just the thought of that repels me. But shrimp? Yup, I could do that.
My son loves sushi.
@Raelove (17657)
• Saco, Maine
I have never had it, so I think I'd like to try making my own before buying it ready-made.
I didn't know you could make sushi without raw fish. It should be interesting.
@Raelove (17657)
• Saco, Maine
I think it will be. You can use all kinds of vegetables, as well as other things, which I need to keep researching. Just sounds interesting so far, as most of the foods I'm seeing used are all things I like anyway.
I like sushi too and sashimi.
sorry,do not touch the stuiff.