Julian Assange - the visitor who outstayed his welcome

@boiboing (12881)
Northampton, England
News this morning that Wikileaks founder, Julian Assange, is maybe, perhaps, might possibly surrender himself to the Swedish authorities who have asked for him to be sent over to face rape charges. If the UN don't support his claim that he's being 'arbitrarily detained' when the UN's working group reports back on Friday, Assange says he's had enough. I can imagine the Ecuadorian Embassy staff must be getting quite excited as the prospect of getting rid of him. It's one thing telling a chap he can stop over for a few days whilst he's got a 'bit of a problem' and a totally different one when he stays for more than three and a half years. I hope he's been pulling his weight, doing a bit of housework, helping them with their IT security perhaps. Assange went in looking like an extra from a teen vampire/werewolf movie and it's hard to believe he's seen much sunshine since June 2012. I wonder if he's learned Spanish and done his share of cooking and kept his room tidy? I feel terrible for the Ecuadorians. Most people knew very little about Ecuador before Assange went in and most know little more in the time he's been there. Quite why he chose that country's embassy is a mystery to me. Since Ecuador 'owns' the Galapagos, I wonder if Mr Assange has started to exhibit evidence of Darwinian evolution? Since Darwin wrote about rapid evolution in so-called 'peripheral isolates' - small isolated communities that didn't interact with the general population - perhaps Mr Assange will have developed to live in a small place with limited sunlight, like one of Darwin's finches or a Galapagos Iguana. As a UK tax payer, I resent the ridiculous money spent on having the police hovering by the embassy waiting to catch Assange if he tried to escape in a laundry basket almost as much as many years ago I resented the cost of protecting Salman Rushdie from the Ayatollah's fatwa. I'm sure the Ecuadorian tax payers will be relieved to not be paying bed and board for an alleged rapist. Time to come out and face the music Julian. Don't forget to send your hosts a nice bottle of wine and a big bunch of flowers and a polite 'Thank you for having me' card.
@MarymargII (10706)
• Toronto, Ontario
I understand how Ecuador may feel - I've had guest like that.
@boiboing (12881)
• Northampton, England
I'm sorry to hear that. How did you get them to leave?
@MarymargII (10706)
• Toronto, Ontario
@boiboing I should have said guests like that and I was just being funny! Thank God, I really didn't.-not for that long anyway-lol!
@boiboing (12881)
• Northampton, England
@MarymargII That's a relief.
I also read the news this morning, I wonder if he risks to disintegrate in the sun like a vampire. It is so long that he does not see the sun.
@boiboing (12881)
• Northampton, England
I do suspect he is not entirely human.
@boiboing I was looking at one of his photo and I have the same opinion.
@boiboing (12881)
• Northampton, England
@LadyDuck Perhaps we should not assume that looking like a James Bond film villain means you must be evil.
@WorDazza (10089)
• Manchester, England
Maybe I'm being thick but how can you be 'arbitrarily detained' if you are free to leave at any time???
@boiboing (12881)
• Northampton, England
And if you went there yourself to hide from the police? Maybe he has a bunch of leaked memos that the UN don't want him to release.
@WorDazza (10089)
• Manchester, England
@boiboing Or a whole batch of polaroids! (Oooh , how very 1970s of me!!!!)
That 3+ years went quickly. He'd be a bit of an embarrassment by now.
@boiboing (12881)
• Northampton, England
Worse than relatives who don't get the hint to leave.
@BellaDoc (773)
• San Diego, California
Sadly I suspect the US will get their hands on him in an unjust manner no matter what happens. I do understand his situation. None of us know whether he is guilty of the Swedish charges. Certainly some of them have been dropped. He has always said that he would face and defend them without issue if there were robust guarantees ofnbot being extradited to the US.
@LeaPea2417 (22500)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I am not sure what to think about him.
They just need to do something with him or send him out of the country back to where he is from.
@boiboing (12881)
• Northampton, England
I think he's Australian but I'm not sure.
@BellaDoc (773)
• San Diego, California
@boiboing Yes he is Australian.
• Preston, England
sounds like the UN has backed him to the hilt according to the latest reports
@boiboing (12881)
• Northampton, England
It's astonishing, isn't it. He's using guidance designed for dictatorships who detain people without trial and asking them to apply it to his choice to go and hide in the embassy. I'm baffled.
• Preston, England
@boiboing the rape allegations seem to be a smokescreen for his Wikileaks declarations which are the real source of concerns by the authorities though if molestation/rape really happened it deserves investigation
@JESSY3236 (7572)
I don't understand why run in the first place, why not face it head on. If he had face head on, he wouldn't have faced this mess.
@boiboing (12881)
• Northampton, England
If you're going to make your point about freedom and openness and use that to justify leaking secrets, you should be willing to do something more honorable than hide in the broom closet at the Ecuadorian embassy.
• Uzbekistan
Political asylum is one thing but asylum in order to avoid rape charges is something entirely different.
hmmmn, didnt realize it had been that long
Come out Assange.