Raising Teenage Kids

Parenting is what I consider one of the most stressful things to manage especially when kids are already on their teenage years. I know because I have already two teenagers in the house. They are both different and its not easy to raise them. I remember when they were still younger, they were easy to please and they were also more obedient. They would always want to come with us wherever we went but right now things have been changing. They have their own decisions to make and we respect that. Would you care to share the experience?
I had no children, so I have no experience to share. For what I remember, when both my brother and I were teenagers we had no right of decision, but those were other times.
Sometimes parenting does not only exclusive to those who have children only.
@cherigucchi You are surely right, but I have no experience at all.
I raised six teenagers and each one of them is different from the other one.
I believe they really are all different from each other. That could be tough on your part.
@dpk262006 (53689)
It's difficult to handle teenagers. You need to be show more patience and tolerance levels while dealing with them. Handling them with stern tactics could prove to be counter productive.
You have your point and I agree with you on that.
@dpk262006 (53689)
@cherigucchi - Thanks for agreeing with me. Having said that I also know that it is not easy to keep patience all the time.
@alchemistrx (2591)
I have no children too so i cant probably relate to you on raising teenagers nowadays. We were once teenagers with my sisters and we differ on our interests.
Thanks at least for relating the experience as teenagers.
My children are still very young, but even so, there are times that they're quite challenging to manage. I guess your children are in that stage where they are trying to assert their independence. Maybe it would help if you talk to them like they're not kids anymore but still remain firm. Then again, I don't have teenage kids yet...
Thanks for the suggestion. I have been doing that but there are times that I need to be silent.
My dear friend, I do think that teenagers are so difficult to handle these days. My youngest teenage brother was really makes me crazy.He had changed a lot and it is difficult to discipline. I used to compare myself to him but I never been like this before. It is so frustrating sometimes.
It really is frustrating because we cannot help compare our generation from them
@cherigucchi You said it right. In some point, I don't know how to approach these teenagers.
@Shavkat Sometimes I want to believe that the advent in technology has something to do with this.
@Scindhia (1981)
• Chennai, India
When I was a teenager, I sure was difficult. My parents had a tough time deciphering my moods and temper tantrums. But they were very supportive and allowed me my space when I wanted it the most. Thank God the period passes away quickly.
I think we all go through that particular stage and I am happy you were able to survive it and your aprents as well.
@patgalca (13962)
• Orangeville, Ontario
It doesn't get any easier. This was a first Christmas where our two girls wanted to do their own thing. And my husband flew down to see his parents Christmas night for a couple of days. Older daughter was working every day from 4am - 10am and then she went to her boyfriend's Christmas night. Younger daughter did check out to go see her boyfriend Christmas day at some point but she and I went to a movie that night, but she nixed my family Boxing Day event to see her boyfriend as she is always bored at my family's gathering. Older daughter and her boyfriend came though. It's times like these when I wish I had more than two kids. My husband comes from a family of 8. Two of them live quite a distance away (my husband and one of his brothers) but that still leaves 4 kids in the immediate area who they see every day, and one who visits often. Now the younger daughter is away at university and older daughter is working different hours. Hubby and I spend almost all our dinners alone and most of the time we don't know how to talk to each other. I am going to hate it when they both move out for good. They have been my whole world.
I know that same thing happens eventually to both parents.
@sishy7 (26574)
I have four boys who are very close in age and they sort of grow together almost like friends... Their teen stage passes without too much dramas for which I'm forever grateful...
Other than being lucky I know that you made a great effort for raising them well.
I've been through the teenage years three times, and I've watched my daughter go through the teenage years three times. It's not a fun time but can be if handled correctly.
I hope that I can do the same. I have three kids to raise
@cherigucchi I found out the hard way that you can't raise any child from baby to adult without God.
@Marcyaz (36126)
I had 3 boys who were teens at the same time, they were all different and how one was disclipined was different with each boy.
I have three kids too and I believe you are right
@Marcyaz (36126)
@cherigucchi No two are the same.
@Drosophila (16863)
I don't have children, like you said it's a lot of stress, so ya... don't plan to have children either.. When I was growing up, I guess I had more lessons on "impact of my actions", "responsibilities" than "decisions". I think those were valuable lessons, "decisions" tends to have consequences, it's good to teach that early.. so we don't have irresponsible adults. :)
Glad to hear that you learned valuable lessons when you were a teenager
@Drosophila (16863)
@cherigucchi yep! I just wish more teenagers have done too! So they don't become annoying adults in their work life, and have to relearn their lessons at the expense of their jobs or relationships