Turning Off Niagara Falls?

@tallawah (8407)
Kingston, Jamaica
There are really plans to 'turn off' Niagara Falls for repairs on two bridges which connect the town of Niagara Falls to the islands in the middle of the Falls. It is planned to divert the water to the Canadian side. Some people are excited to see this event, which would be the second time the Falls were turned off. The last time was in 1969 and the falls were off for nearly five months. In 1969 thousands of people came to watch this. There were buckets of coins found as well as two bodies, a man and woman. The woman was never identified.
@OneOfMany (12426)
In 69 they were reinforcing the bottom of the falls so that it wouldn't 'migrate' as waterfalls often do. That's why there are so many large rocks at the bottom. They put a lot of those there to keep the bottom from eroding. If they turn it off again I will go up to see it. I'm only 2 and a half hours away.
@tallawah (8407)
• Kingston, Jamaica
Oh yes...and take lots of photos...that should be so exciting
@OneOfMany (12426)
@tallawah I haven't been up there to see the falls in a long time. Last year I did see them from high up, but seeing them from a plane is only puffs of fog in the morning.
@tallawah (8407)
• Kingston, Jamaica
@OneOfMany You could really stand somewhere near by and see it...that would be so ... extra worldly...imagine...the water..shut off...wow! Like an apocalypse
I hope they don't find any bodies this time.
@tallawah (8407)
• Kingston, Jamaica
Can you imagine standing there when the water stops...and you see bodies? That is like one of those horror pictures.
Seems a crazy idea. But if it's been done before, people know that it's doable.
@tallawah (8407)
• Kingston, Jamaica
They did it in 1969 there are a number of reasons why...but I think they did it to see if it could be done...
I've never heard of this. That would really be something to see wouldn't it?
@tallawah (8407)
• Kingston, Jamaica
Yes, it would be awesome... imagine being there, as slowly the water stops... and then, seeing the bottom
@tallawah And seeing the bodies!!!
@tallawah (8407)
• Kingston, Jamaica
@JudyEv not the bodies... just... y'know... stuff that was under the water... coins, maybe shoes and hats and things...
Yes I read that tallawah. I would love to see these falls too.
@tallawah (8407)
• Kingston, Jamaica
They seem so beautiful
@tallawah Not when they are not moving tho huh? lolz
@tallawah (8407)
• Kingston, Jamaica
@TiarasOceanView Imagine seeing the bottom of the falls...the river bed...that would be awesome
@Marcyaz (35693)
I haven't heard of this and didn't know that any bodies had been found when they turned off the falls in 1969. That must have been quite horrible to find two bodies down at the bottom hopefully they don't find anything like that this time.
@tallawah (8407)
• Kingston, Jamaica
And they couldn't I.D. the woman...and they were lodged in the rocks...
@Marcyaz (35693)
@tallawah that is sad they couldn't identify the woman.
@tallawah (8407)
• Kingston, Jamaica
@Marcyaz it is...no one knows who she was...why she was there...
@katsmeow1213 (29047)
They've been doing a lot of construction this year.. but I've been up there 3 times and they haven't yet turned off the Falls. It would be interesting to see what they'd find this time if they did turn them off.
@tallawah (8407)
• Kingston, Jamaica
Yeah, it would be... I hope no bodies tho...
I always wanted to know how the thing works although I was there twice once on the American side and once on the Canadian side. Have gone on those rides too. Tell me how does this work???
@tallawah (8407)
• Kingston, Jamaica
I don't know...apparaently they are going to divert the water to the Canadian side.
@fishtiger58 (30344)
• Momence, Illinois
I heard this as well. Wow that will be quite the event.
@tallawah (8407)
• Kingston, Jamaica
Yes, that would definately be something to see