The Triassic era.

Banks, Oregon
Wow now this is interesting and, scary 200 million years ago, before the Dinosaurs, there was a massive extinction, that killed nearly all sea life and, land life on the planet, it was caused by global warming, the global warming was caused by super massive and, continuous volcanic eruptions, that sent carbon dioxide, methane and, sulfur into the atmosphere, it caused the oceans conveyor belt to stop, killing almost everything, the oceans conveyor belt sends warm water to the poles, also I found out hurricanes are caused, because the oceans is heating up, all the ocean is doing is trying to cool it's self down.
@T_gray (7898)
• Salina, Kansas
Wow that is scary.
Yeah, I pray the volcanoes never do that again and, I hope we start changing the way we do things, because carbon dioxide is bad stuff.
@T_gray (7898)
• Salina, Kansas
@TRBRocks420 Yes it is, but changing the way we do things is few and far between. It takes everyone, not just one person. And getting everyone is not going to happen unfortunately. But I hope its going to be enough....
@T_gray If the government gets involved they could make it happen, but yes aside from that, it's a uphill battle.
• Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
That's fascinating especially with all the devastating hurricanes, tornados, etc. we have had during the last couple of years. Maybe I should stop complaining about snow.
I thought it was pretty fascinating too thanks, we need to really find a way to lessen the carbon dioxide, we constantly put into the atmosphere.
Also cool picture that's a lot of snow.
• Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
@TRBRocks420. That was two weeks ago, last night we got a dusting.
The Oceans Conveyor Belt? Global Warming has always been one of those things that people either believe or don't believe. I think that we contribute a LOT to the destruction of this planet.
Yes, it constantly transfers the warmer water to the poles and, vice versa, like a conveyer belt. I just watched a very interesting show about it called under water universe, whether you believe it or not, it's as true as it gets, carbon dioxide locks the suns heat on the Earth causing the ocean and, planet to heat up.
@TRBRocks420 Oh okay. Honestly I wasn't sure what you meant by conveyor belt at first. Thanks for the clarification on it.
@ScribbledAdNauseum Yeah, it's called the oceans great conveyer belt, at least that's what the show called it, there is another scientific name for it though lol and, you're welcome, but you are right humans are the major contributor to pollution, causing carbon dioxide, to get into the atmosphere.
@VivaLaDani13 (16131)
• Perth, Australia
It really amazes me how people can work out what happened such a loooong time ago. Could this ever happen again?
It's archeologists, that dig for all of the answers they find out so much stuff and, yes but highly unlikely it will. I wouldn't worry in other words.
Wow! That is crazy to hear 200 million years existed!
Yes and, even longer than that.
@tallawah (7255)
• Kingston, Jamaica
There was a time the Earth was virtully frozen solid, another time where it was so warm Hippos were in Wales. The Earth is dynamic it changes.
Yes, during the ice age volcanic ash blocked out the sun for a very long time.