So Much For Spring and Flip Flops

@Raelove (16786)
Saco, Maine
For the last few days, I've been seeing people out in shorts, t-shirts and flip-flops. I guess they thought that the mild weather meant that we were getting an early spring. The joke was on them, as it is every year: spring arrives when it's ready to, and not a moment sooner. Right now, we're getting snow that is supposed to amount to 9 inches by the time it tapers off around 4 p.m. The weather forecasts were not quite accurate, as the initial reports stated "up to 5 inches." I guess the storm front changed early this morning, and we are now getting the bulk of it. I took this photo from my living room window which looks out over the woods back there. I always love the contrast of the snow against the bare branches. (Photo is Mine)
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'd imagine snow feels kind of squishy and cool through flip flops.
@mommaj (22743)
Someone's going to freeze their toes.
@Raelove (16786)
• Saco, Maine
@TheHorse Ya think? I've never tried it myself, so I couldn't report on that. But given the fact that body heat would combine with cold snow, I'd say, yeah, squishy would be one word to attribute to it.
@Raelove (16786)
• Saco, Maine
@mommaj Happens every year. I just talked to a woman I kno today who went out to shovel last week with just Crocs on and no socks. She got the precursor to frostbite, also known as chilblains, on her toes. You'd think she'd know better at the age of 65.
@garymarsh6 (12738)
You know here in the UK the daffodils are out and my favourite tree is in full bloom the Magnolia.
@Raelove (16786)
• Saco, Maine
Oh, how nice! Won't be long here now, as we're already into February, and the first spring flowers usually pop up some time in March.
@vandana7 (58981)
Spring is ridiculously hot out here. This is the best season for us.
We went from 76 a day go to 38 yesterday and today. I'm smart enough not to get the flip flops or shorts out until March at least.
@Raelove (16786)
• Saco, Maine
The weather is still too fickle this time of year. Here, we can't really be sure we're out of the woods until May 1. I've seen blizzards in April, so common sense should prevail.
@dianadee (1746)
• South Africa
Still must be a bit chilly to wear flip flops!
@Raelove (16786)
• Saco, Maine
Well, I think it is. But you'd have to live here to know. People go nuts if the temperature goes above 40 degrees F. Has to get a lot warmer than that for me to wear sandals.
@dianadee (1746)
• South Africa
@Raelove People from up country here in South Africa come down to the coast in the middle of winter and frolic in the icy sea water..something like that!
@Raelove (16786)
• Saco, Maine
@dianadee Here, it has more to do with people wanting to rush the seasons. As if by wearing shorts and sandals they can force spring to happen sooner.
I love how winter photos involving snow often look as if they're in black and white.
@Raelove (16786)
• Saco, Maine
They're usually not far from it. When I took art classes years ago, I learned that the effect of black against white/white against black is called chiaroscuro. Sometimes it's hard to tell which is the object and which is the ground. That's what makes those photos/paintings so interesting.
@Raelove What a great word - chiaroscuro. I'll never remember it. I wouldn't mind stunning someone with a word like that!
@Raelove (16786)
• Saco, Maine
@JudyEv It has always stayed with me, and I took these classes in 1989/90. The concept originated in painting and was used by such masters as La Tour, Rembrandt, and Da Vinci. Professional photographers use it by setting up their scenes to create specific shadows.
• Portland, Connecticut
yes my family and friends in Connecticut got quite a bit as well.
@Raelove (16786)
• Saco, Maine
Another storm approaching now, and this one looks like it will be dragged out over a few days.
• Portland, Connecticut
@Raelove I thought this morning it was going to miss Connecticut and go out to sea with Eastern Mass. getting some.
@Raelove (16786)
• Saco, Maine
@BelleStarr I'm wondering how it will go. It's not supposed to start snowing here till around 4 p.m. tomorrow. Time will tell where it ends up.
@valmnz (13143)
• New Zealand
We're still right in the heart of summer here. By the way, I like your new profile pic, though it possibly isn't all that new, just new to me as I haven't seen you for a while.
@Raelove (16786)
• Saco, Maine
Thanks. I honestly can't remember when I put it up. I loved the other one, but it still had me with dark (dyed) hair, and now I am all gray, and it's staying this way. I got sick of coloring it. I've seen you here and there on here, but as usual, I am all over the place! Good to see you.
@valmnz (13143)
• New Zealand
@Raelove life gets busy doesn't it, but I'm trying to get myLot back into my routine. The trick now is to keep it in balance.
@Raelove (16786)
• Saco, Maine
@valmnz I have never been able to stay on top of things in these blogging sites, so I just do my own thing. I come and go, leaving it for hours at a time, and then coming back when I'm more in the mood for it. To all things, there should be balance. You'll get there.
Spring never comes before its time, it is still warmer than usual here, but heavy rain is forecast for the next 4 days.
@Raelove (16786)
• Saco, Maine
That's right. We got 9 inches of snow yesterday and today it's still below freezing.
@Raelove I hope that our predicted rain will not turn into snow.
@Raelove (16786)
• Saco, Maine
@LadyDuck We got heavy rain last week, and then this. But it is Maine, and it's all part of our winters in the southern part of the state.
Nobody would think of spring in February here. But when there are mild days there are always people out there in shorts!
@Raelove (16786)
• Saco, Maine
Oh, the word "spring" is bandied about a lot, especially around that most ridiculous of all events known as Groundhog Day. It gets here when it gets here, whether a rodent sees its shadow or not.
@Raelove Our spring is well into April so 6 weeks after Ground Hog day is still deep winter really.
@mommaj (22743)
HEHEHE I live in Florida so they are always out. Although the next week is suppose to be in the 60's so I'm not sure I will wear the short sleeves. LOL Your snow looks more like ice.
@Raelove (16786)
• Saco, Maine
Wow. When it gets to 60 here, that's when the motorcycles come out, the shorts, and the beach chairs. Common sense doesn't exactly rule up here at times.
@mommaj (22743)
@Raelove LOL I'm not sure common sense rules anywhere.
Our Chicago suburb is enjoying 45 degree weather now, but the cold is coming back. I want to free my feet from boots, but I have a long wait to go barefoot or enjoy wearing flip flops again. Spring just takes too long to get here!
@Raelove (16786)
• Saco, Maine
But it will get here, like it does every year. Not much longer now.
@PainsOnSlate (19800)
I love it when it sticks to the trees and bushes, pretty shot. I think Ontario is waiting for us to come home before it snows there...
@Raelove (16786)
• Saco, Maine
We're due for more tomorrow and through the week, I think. The lull we had finally ended, as I knew it eventually would.
Flip flops will come in due time. Love that simple photo.
@Raelove (16786)
• Saco, Maine
Thank you. I love the effect of snow on different surfaces. It's amazing how quickly it accumulates in some spots, one flake at a time.
@fishtiger58 (30572)
• Momence, Illinois
Great shot, love how the snow builds up between the branches. Only in nature.
@Raelove (16786)
• Saco, Maine
That's why I love nature so much. Thanks.
We escaped the snow today but it did arrive in some surrounding areas. Isn't it funny how some people refuse to accept winter & continue wearing flip flops if the temperature goes above freezing
@Raelove (16786)
• Saco, Maine
LOL, I know. It's like they think they can hurry spring along if they dress as though it were already here.
We had some flurries yesterday. But nothing big yet.
@Raelove (16786)
• Saco, Maine
We're getting our snow late this year, but I knew we'd get it eventually.
@salonga (28078)
The joke was on them lol
@Raelove (16786)
• Saco, Maine
It sure was.
we got hit up to four inches here
@Raelove (16786)
• Saco, Maine
More due tomorrow through Thursday, Fredo.