How I Catch Spam and Scam

@tallawah (7560)
Kingston, Jamaica
As most Jamaicans, I have a nickname. There are people who have known me for years, and only by that name. It was not odd for me to use that name to open an email account some years ago. I opened the account to deal with 'notifications' from the various sites I joined. I don't need to tell you that you can log on a Monday morning and find hundreds of notifications from all over the 'Net stuffing your In-box, hence I have that 'extra' in-box which should never have anything of any importance. So when I log on to that account and find out how I've 'won' or 'your gift card is ready' or there is a 'message from...' I know it is spam. Hence when I get the same message in my real account, I can delete it without a blink. I imagine getting some of these 'alerts' in my real mailbox. Would I think they were legit? Considering that the senders don't know if I am male or female, or where I live, or who I am, it's kind of funny. I suppose this is what gives me that step up, for if this is in a mail box of my Nick, it can't be important.
• Marion, Kansas
That is a good strategy. I know that due to my participation in so many things online I get tons of stuff that is not something I want. I find them easy to delete. It is awful how they want to add so much on.
@tallawah (7560)
• Kingston, Jamaica
and terrible that so many scammers get our addresses.
@topffer (31183)
• France
I have also opened several trash emails that I use to sign up and to receive notifications, and I never check them. My main email address is almost clean of any spam. I have a second email address for serious sites like myLot. During several months I received several trojans in this box which usually does not receive a lot of spam messages and malware. It ended like it started.
@tallawah (7560)
• Kingston, Jamaica
With me it is so cute...I go to my Nick account, check the spam and the inbox, and anything there which isn't a notification from a site I joined has to be rubbish. Then I go to my real account, see the same rubbish
@topffer (31183)
• France
@tallawah I understand your method. I do not get a lot of spam, but it is hard to get rid of it.
@tallawah (7560)
• Kingston, Jamaica
@topffer once you start getting it...it's like you can't stop it...just delete
@fishtiger58 (30617)
• Momence, Illinois
I have learned over the years not to open email if I don't know who it's from. So I just delete, I don't believe I have won anything lol.
@tallawah (7560)
• Kingston, Jamaica
I know I didn't win. I never win. Hence I never enter. How could I win something I didn't even enter?
@fishtiger58 (30617)
• Momence, Illinois
@tallawah no kidding scam or spam for sure
@Marcyaz (36036)
I have a number of different email accounts with different names so I know the spam ones are easy to spot.
@tallawah (7560)
• Kingston, Jamaica
Exactly...I mean how could your Nick's credit card be ready?
I never open mine.If I do not know the sender or person.I junk it
@tallawah (7560)
• Kingston, Jamaica
exactly!
@scheng1 (24899)
I do not have so many spams. I use different emails when I want to sign up for newsletters or whatever else that is not important.
@tallawah (7560)
• Kingston, Jamaica
exactly....but I have a whole heap...about 75 pieces a day...pure rubbish.
This is a great idea. We don't seem to be getting too much spam at the moment thank goodness.