My Dad's Rose

By Gill
@Gillygirl (17361)
Sutton, England
My late father was a creative man. He loved to paint, make models and greetings cards. He painted many pictures. He loved to draw flowers and roses were his favourite. One of my preferences is a pink rose depicted on the right. He would often work other flowers into the picture by imagination and experiment with colour schemes. After my dad passed away my brother and I shared his art work between us. I have had offers from people wanting to buy certain things such as woodwork and clay models. I’ve always refused as my dad’s creations are priceless to me. I have photographed much of his work and had pictures copied to give as gifts to other family members. My parents had many happy holidays in Eastbourne, Sussex. My father’s ashes were scattered there. A year later I visited the spot and found that the local council had planted a pink rose bush there. I found this very comforting and at the time felt it was a message that my dad was at peace. I know it was coincidence but it did help as I was still grieving at that time.
Your photo is beautiful. My dad was an artist, and like you, I refuse to part with anything he created. Everytime I look at one of his creations, I think of him fondly.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
Thank you Dianne I think of my dad too.
@Ladypeace (2047)
A touching and beautiful piece in memory of your father. I believe he is smiling down at you from heaven. Makes my heart warm to know that you held on to his art works despite the monetary offers.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
Thank you I would not sell his work as I couldn't replace it. This and my personal memories cannot be parted. I put another pic above of his woodwork model of Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs.
@Ladypeace (2047)
@Gillygirl I saw his wood work you've attached. Beautiful. Knowing its backstory and your love for him, it has a gentle warmth to it.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
@Ladypeace Thank you
My husband's two grandmothers came from England and Ireland on the same small sailing ship. We have planted two trees in the town where they disembarked. It is nice to have a memorial to them in this way and I understand how the pink rose means a lot to you.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
Yes it's nice to have such a legacy from a brilliant man. I have put another pic above.
@fishtiger58 (30319)
• Momence, Illinois
I'm so sorry for your loss. My dad passed away 16 years ago and I still miss him horribly. He does beautiful work. I would love to see his woodwork and clay models. Hope you share them here.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
Thanks I will put one more on here. Above is Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs
@fishtiger58 (30319)
• Momence, Illinois
@Gillygirl Wow amazing work. My hubby is not a carpenter but made much of our furniture here. He is not talented enough for something like this your father made. Amazing,.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
Thanks I will put a clay pic up. The above is Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs made out of wood.
That is a very nice tribute of your dad.I love his work.Love to see more of this. Anyone else picked up the talent of your dad?
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
Not in my generation I'm afraid. I am putting in a pic of one of his models for you. These are his wooden Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs. I have been asked to sell them but money could never replace them.
@Gillygirl it's nice that you've shared your dads talent with us
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
@Marilynda1225 I hope you enjoyed it.
This is indeed a tribute to your father. He has truly left behind memories that will last you a lifetime.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
Yes he did they are more poignant now as my mum passed away yesterday.
@Gillygirl Oh no!! My deepest sympathies. How did it happen?
• Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
He was very talented. Awesome.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
Yes he was thank you for responding
• Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
@Gillygirl. Thank you for posting this fine art work.
@Namelesss (1529)
That painting is priceless. Taking pictures to share with family is a very thoughtful thing to do. Love the story as well about the town council planting the pink rose bush. Great tribute to your dad.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
Thank you, at first I did think the rose bush was like a message but it was coincidence.
@Namelesss (1529)
@Gillygirl Even so it was a beautiful coincidence.
Your Dad was very talented, that's a beautiful painting.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
Yes he was talented Janet
What a lovely memorial to your dad even if not intentional and I love pink roses too. I understand why you hold on to his work, it is beautiful.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
I'll never part with any of it as it is special.
The picture is beautiful. He certainly had a wonderful gift. I think it's wonderful a pink rose bush was planted where you scattered his ashes. I agree with you - you have some priceless memories in those paintings and other works of art he did.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
Yes they are priceless and it was amazing to find the pink rose bush.
I'm partial to pink roses and your dads painting is beautiful. It must be nice to know there is a rose bush planted where your dads ashes were scattered and there is still a memory of him in that spot.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
Yes it is in fact there are happy memories everywhere and that's what I focus on.
That is good that you will not sell your Dad's art work. Keep them always and pass them down the family.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
Yes Judy and family is everything to me.
@Morleyhunt (20714)
Beautiful work. I'm glad you have these mementoes. I am trying to make sure all of my siblings and nieces and nephews have something concrete that my mothe had a hand in creating.