Do You Encounter Black Ice in Your Neck of the Woods?

Tired of Slipping on Black Ice
What looks like an innocent puddle of water, even when temperatures are above freezing, just may be slippery black ice. If one does not test every what-looks-like-a-puddle spots on a sidewalk, in the street, or in a parking lot, that black ice will more often than not cause a person to take a nasty spill. Black ice in our area has caused a neighbor to break her wrist and another neighbor to break his leg. I slipped twice on that darn black ice this winter, and I just reinjured the knee I wrecked in high school gymnastics. Slip number two resulted in no injuries thanks to my puffy down coat protecting the bones of my rear end. Not only can a black-ice fall break bones and injure a variety of body parts, embarrassment always plays a part in those slip-and-fall incidents. After slipping and falling, the now prone person frantically scans his surroundings in hopes that no one saw him fall flat on the ground. After my two black-ice slip and falls this winter season, I have a plan to avoid another slip and fall. I am going to test every puddle, those I cannot walk around, with the toe of my boot to determine whether that puddle is innocent water or evil black ice. I will always take along my cell phone when I walk the dog in case black ice renders me unable to right myself due to injury. I will avoid sidewalks covered in snow because sneaky black ice hides under that snow. Walking on snow-covered grass will be the norm from now on when the weather is just right for black ice. Traction cleats attached to boots and shoes are no match for black ice. I have tested my traction cleats on black ice, and black ice wins every time. I walk our pup every single day no matter the weather due to her insistence, and I am sorry to say that her concern for my welfare during a slip and fall is lacking. Image Credit: Morguefile free photo by Pennywise.
@Morleyhunt (19191)
And this is what happens when you hit black ice at 100km/h. My daughter...10 days ago.
@Auntylou (4330)
• Oxford, England
Is that her car upside down? Sounds as if she had no bad injuries though
@Morleyhunt (19191)
@Auntylou that is her Ford Escape after rolling three times. She was blessed to be able to walk away from the accident with a couple of scrapes, and a possible neck injury. Her seat belt held her secure. The structure of the cabin protected her.
@moffittjc (40443)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Morleyhunt Thank goodness she was alright. As a parent, you must have nearly had a heart attack at finding out the news.
I wonder why the universal reaction to falling is embarrassment? We do feel silly, but everybody else has done it at some time or other, haven't they? We've hardly even had a frost so far this winter, so no black ice yet.
@jaboUK I think when someone falls, the majority of folks are merely concerned about the person and not thinking the person failed in some way. Perhaps we chastise ourselves for being clumsy and that is where the embarrassment steps in.
@Corbin5 That must be it I suppose.
I wonder that too. I would fall off my horse in the middle of a 100 acre paddock without absolutely no houses in sight but the first thing I'd do would be look around to see who saw me!
@moffittjc (40443)
• Gainesville, Florida
I live in Florida, so until I read your post, I didn't even know what black ice was! Obviously, it's not something we ever deal with here in the Sunshine State! lol
Gosh, I would have thought all Americans would have heard of it! I worked with a lady from England who told me all about it.
@moffittjc Black ice is an evil thing! It will catch you by surprise if one is not careful. Many an accident happens when black ice is in the picture.
We have it some time and it is very dangerous. I fear to fall because when the weather is very cold the bones are more fragile, I would not like to end up with a fracture.
@LadyDuck (24270) I am always worried about breaking a bone. A broken bone would put a person out of commission for a long time.
@Corbin5 I know, I broke my right elbow when I was a kid and I still have consequences today. If I should break it again, it would be a very serious problem.
@LadyDuck Same with the high school knee injury for me. The older I get, the more problems I have with me.
@dodo19 (31364)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
We have that in our area. It can be dangerous. One another reason why we need to be careful.
I thought the sidewalks were clear as could be and it was that one patch that caused me slip and fall.
@dodo19 (31364)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
@Corbin5 it's not pleasant when that happens. I hope you're okay.
I have heard about black ice but luckily our temperatures never get so low that we'd encounter it here. It's been 42C here today, well over the 100F so no black ice!
@JudyEv No car or pair of feet are a match for black ice. We have snow now and I will wear traction cleats today when I walk the dog because of black ice hidden under the snow. I will walk in the grass though so that I do not take another spill.
@Corbin5 I can imagine that taking a tumble is pretty common when there is so much ice and snow around.
@Scindhia (1958)
• Chennai, India
This black ice sounds dangerous. I don't have any chance to experience it. But the slip and fall is universal. But in my case what is more embarrassing than the fall is the fact that I laugh like crazy after my own fall thereby attracting all the more unwanted attention.
@Scindhia (501) So glad you laugh a bit when you fall. Humor is our best friend and it makes the fall hurt a lot less even if the fall and the laughing attracts attention.
I grew up further north, broke a tail bone once or twice because of this, got to where I would wade through the snow and avoid the sidewalks because of it
I have gotten pretty good at avoiding the black ice when I walk the dog and when I am out and about. Sorry you broke your tail bone which had to hurt like crazy. I stepped out of my car in a parking lot into what looked like a puddle of water, but nope, black ice. Thankfully, I was protected by the down coat I was wearing. I need things to melt around here.
@Corbin5 it's been awhile but I remember how much falling on it hurt.
@Jessicalynnt I find that that puffy down coat does cushion a fall, but I need a longer one to protect my ankles, legs, and knees.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
I am one of those people who keeps her eyes always on the ground, especially in the winter. I have fallen, so now I'm extra careful to the point of obsession. But it beats falling and breaking something.
@Raelove I have adopted your obsession after those two nasty falls. I keep my eyes to the ground. Haven't been able to enjoy any scenery at all since my head is always down.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
@Corbin5 Hey, it's better to miss a little scenery and remain upright and risk seriously injuring yourself. If I'm walking along on a slippery surface and someone is talking to me, I still keep my eyes on the ground. Rude, perhaps, but oh well!
@Raelove I started to look at the ground the whole way now. Sure do miss the scenery, but do not want a slip and fall again.
@kevin1877uk (36949)
Not this year here, been too mild in my part of the UK.
@kevin1877uk Glad you have mild weather in the UK. It is just plain nasty here. Oh well, spring, summer and fall are lovely, so will wait until the good seasons roll around.
@kevin1877uk (36949)
@Corbin5 Lol yeah I guess we will and spring isn't too far way :)
@Marcyaz (35792)
When going shopping this winter there was black ice on the road and we did a spin but was able to continue on but on the way back through that same area there were six cars that had spun out and were not able to continue on.
@Marcyaz Even will all-wheel drive a car just cannot handle black ice. We all creep along when we first see a car spin out of control. Some folks feel they can make it through anything and go far too fast in bad weather. Those folks end up in a ditch most of the time.
@Marcyaz (35792)
@Corbin5 We did see some cars in the ditch having to be towed out.
Good thing we don't have winter for our season here in the Philippines . But i wonder why the ice is black , my dear ?
@SIMPLYD (35963) It's called “black ice” because it tends to look like the rest of the pavement on the road, although in reality, it's actually clear. Since even cement sidewalks are a grayish color, when water hits the sidewalks, the cement darkens and thus looks rather black.
@Corbin5 Oh i see . Now , i know why . Thank you .
I agree, black ice is treacherous. You have a good plan of action.
Walked the dog today, put my plan in action, and no slip or fall. Whew!
@Missmwngi (9602)
• Nairobi, Kenya
We don't have ice here but i have never heard of black ice spots. Hope everybody becomes aware of them
@Missmwngi I am much more careful now. I do not get to look up when walking because if keep my head down so I can spot that ice.
yes, i live in the midwest & we do have black ice.
The Midwest certainly does present weather that poses danger to all who venture out in it.
@DWDavis (10775)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
Black ice up north is what convinced my mother to move back here to North Carolina. She slipped on some black ice one winter and fractured her elbow. Black ice nearly caused a disaster for my wife and I one morning in CT when we hit a patch just as a gust of wind hit our car and sent us spinning. We got lucky as we spun into a parking lot and came to a gentle stop. My wife likes to say we were the inspiration for Jesus Takes The Wheel.
@DWDavis (1197) Your wife is right. That song certainly came to light in your situation. We did slide into a pole one time. There is nothing you can do when that car starts to slide but just ride it out. Glad your mom is in a safer spot. All family is here, including my 95-year-old dad, and moving him to a warmer place with us would just confuse him even more than he already is. We will just have to use caution during these IL winter months, but we are used to it since we were all born and raised here.
@Gillygirl (16789)
• Sutton, England
There hasn't been any black ice here this year. I agree it hurts and is embarrassing to fall. I hobble up the road like a little old lady.
@Gillygirl So glad you have not had to deal with black ice this year. At least there are many of us who slip and fall and misery does love company.
@kamel622 (316)
I've wondered about traction cleats, not that I'm all that anxious to get out and walk in the winter time. Sorry you re-injured your knee...this cold icy weather is dangerous for sure.
That knee has been giving me trouble since high school and it will always be a problem, but I have to be more careful with it now.
The traction cleats I use are TRAX. They work pretty well, but the sidewalks looked clear as can be when I headed out, but they were not.
• Portland, Connecticut
Right now we are in Florida so no but at home in Connecticut it is yes.
We did intend to spend a month in Florida, enjoyed 4 days of it, but had to come home because my 95- year-old dad got sick. I should have known better. My sister called, since I am POA for my parents, I had to come home. Also, could not leave Sis all alone to deal with how sick my dad was.
• Portland, Connecticut
@Corbin5 My mom is 100 and this year she was stable enough for us to leave, She doesn't miss me anymore when I am not there.
@salonga (28006)
I have not encountered Black Ice in all my life because we never have snow in our country but even then, I've slipped several times in my life lol
@salonga It is nice that all humans slip and fall now again so we do not feel out of place. I do not like winter one bit, but all family are here in this bad-winter state, so we will be dealing with black ice for a long time.
@salonga (28006)
@Corbin5 Nobody wants a bad winter or should I say bad weather.