VA Refuses to Pay Benefits to Vet

Medals
@Marcyaz (35651)
The Veterans Affairs Department refuses to pay benefits to a World War II vet in his 90s who was wounded in combat and earned a Purple Heart. He got this letter that says we can’t accept it because we’ve got no record of you being in the service. He said he waited until now to apply for benefits because he is down to nothing. He and his wife live in an assisted-living facility after they sold their car and their house plus stocks and bonds. His application included plenty of documentation, including discharge papers, the names of his foxhole pals and the X-ray of his wounded leg. Unfortunately the other soldiers are now dead and he wasn't in a hospital but out in the jungle so he can't provide that type of documentation that they have asked for. He has now turned to his local senator for help in the matter.
How awful for him. I hope the senator can help.
@Marcyaz (35651)
@DianneN They just plain don't want to listen to him and I have heard horror stories like this before, hoping the senator can help him also.
@Marcyaz It shameful how we treat our veterans who were made us have this freedom we so enjoy! I hope that Senator is a good man and helps him. I will pray for this man that he gets tons of money! It's not like he ASKED FOR THEM RIGHT AWAY. I MEAN HE WAITED MANY, MANY YEARS TO ASK FOR THEM
This is a shame, if he has the documentation how is it that they do not want to pay him?
@Marcyaz (35651)
@LadyDuck They will try everything they can not to pay our service men and women because they have the wrong people in charge.
@Marcyaz And then they waste millions of dollars to pay singers for one day. Ridiculous.
Could it be his age and having waited so long to cash in on those deserved promised benefits, that they are giving him such a hard time in the legal sense but even less so in the ethical sense of the whole matter, he is 90 for crying out loud !
@fishtiger58 (30337)
• Momence, Illinois
How shameful is this. I hope the senator can get this mess straightened out.
@Marcyaz (35651)
@fishtiger58 This says a lot about how our country treats its vets, doesn't it? Not good at all, I wish people would pitch a fit at the VA hospitals and those in charge.
@fishtiger58 (30337)
• Momence, Illinois
@Marcyaz We promised as a nation, now we have to fulfill that promise. Same with the elderly
@Marcyaz (35651)
@fishtiger58 We should do right by our veterans but I have heard many horror stories of how they are actually treated as to the elderly do you know the government is not even giving the SS recipents a raise this year but I bet the people in Government will receive a riase.
@Missmwngi (10637)
• Nairobi, Kenya
I hope they can decide to give him a proper investigation instead of just turning him away
@Marcyaz (35651)
@Missmwngi I also hope they do investigate more and decide to give him what he deserves.
@Missmwngi (10637)
• Nairobi, Kenya
@Marcyaz We got such issues here as well and the government is doing nothing
@Marcyaz (35651)
@Marty1 I know it is terrible the way our Veterans our being treated and all the shake ups lately treating them so badly and now this on top of all that.
Dad retired in 1972 and mom finally got the VA to admit he was 100% disabled 2 years later and when he got his checks they were retroactive to the date of his retirement. It's a time consuming effort for those who served in wars to get the VA to help unless they are retired servicemen and even then it isn't easy. The problem is that the criteria has changed and now the VA won't give benefits to those who are less than 100% disabled at the time of discharge.
@Marcyaz (35651)
@rebelann They take way to long and deny to many of our war vets what they should receive automatically.
I don't know what your perception is of a war vet @Marcyaz many soldiers didn't serve on the frontlines and then only spent the necessary 2 years in the military yet did (in the past) apply for bogus bennies, these guys were eventually caught and that's when the VA tightened their rules. Dad used to tell us about some of the guys that came back from the Korean war with self inflicted injuries to get compensation and it took the VA a long time to prove they had injured themselves for the express purpose of getting benefits. Dad served in WWII and Korea then retired in 29 years.
@Marcyaz (35651)
@rebelann I am talking about the veterans who actually fought on the front lines and were wounded like the man in this story. I know of soldiers who never left the States they are not combat veterans.
@moffittjc (43997)
• Gainesville, Florida
Although I admit the VA has a right to request verification of his status as a veteran, but in this case there are extenuating circumstances that prevent him from being able to show definitive proof. Plus, the guy is in his 90's! Treat him with some dignity and respect, for crying out loud! What has happened to our sense of compassion?
@Marcyaz (35651)
@moffittjc It is a shame what this combat vet is being put through by the VA. I agree treat him with some diginity and respect, I don't think there is any compassion from the VA staff.
@moffittjc (43997)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Marcyaz From everything you hear on the news about the mistreatment of our Vets, I'm surprised the staff at these VA hospitals aren't charged with crimes against humanity! Such a shame how they treat our Vets!
@Marcyaz (35651)
@moffittjc A few have the Veterans Health Administration's top health official, Dr. Robert Petzel, retired early at the request of Secretary of Veterans Affairs Eric Shinseki who has also left the VA. there is an ongoing investigation but of course we know how those things are.
@whiteream (3682)
That is a shame. I don't understand how they can turn him down with his documentation but that is just me.
@Marcyaz (35651)
@whiteream They seem to be turning down a lot of vets and not wanting to reward them for their time in the service, how terrible is that when they should be doing all they can for them.
@whiteream (3682)
@Marcyaz It's very sad, I know many vets. I happy to say I have not heard of anything like this happening to them. I am a huge supporter of anyone who served their country. They should be treated much better than what they are.
@Whiteream IT is NOT just you, it is ME too! I think veterans deserve to be treated like royalty!
@scheng1 (24755)
I wonder why the recording is so badly done. Even if they do not computerized all the records, they should keep the paperwork. I think the administrative staff just do not want to dig out the boxes to search for the papers.
@Marcyaz (35651)
@scheng1 I would think that at this mans age they would have some kind of record but of course half the people who work don't do a proper job so no wonder they can't find his paperwork.
sorry to hear this.How did they lose the document there.He should take this up with the D,A,V that is how I got my help.
@Marcyaz (35651)
@amadeo Sometimes paper work is not filled out correctly and these type of things happen. Hope someone can help this war vet who fought for his country and was wounded, it is a shame that no one will listen to his story and help him.
Very shameful, there must be some documentation somewhere that can help him.
@Marcyaz (35651)
@marlina Unfortunately they want him to produce someone who was in the war with him but they have all passed on so what can he do then they want documentation from the hospital when he was on the battle field where there was no hospital.
that is a shame , i dont understand it they put their life on the line for our country and this is what is what they get ?
@Marcyaz (35651)
@granny2015 Since the VA has been coming under a lot of scrutiny lately I am not surprised at anything I hear about them.
@Marcyaz They say one of my local VA since they had some Veterans die of Legionnaires disease got a new leader, and she seems like she is splendid but she just started last month! I am hoping she lives up to what she says, and I forget what she did but she helped a guy get attention for getting his benefit as the VA NEVER CALLED BACK, I think she took his number off the air and was going to have him called immediately!
@Marcyaz (35651)
@Marty1 That is the type of person each VA needs to head their particular VA.
@jerzgirl (8013)
• Gloucester City, New Jersey
He had his discharge papers. They should provide the name of his division and battalion or other group he was with and the dates of service. If they track this group's actions within those dates, they'll be able to find out if he was in battle or not. I don't know why he waited so long, but good grief. They have ways of finding these things.
@Marcyaz (35651)
@jerzgirl I think they probably just don't want to do anything for him so they will find any excuse not to give him any benefits.
• Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
I get upset when I veterans are being abused these ways,they deserve all their benefits paid for
@Marcyaz (35651)
@BACONSTRIPSXXX They do deserve all the benefits for their service to our country and should not be treated like this.
So it is his word against the VA. I have heard that they have not treated vets very nicely. These people served their country and this is how they are being repaid. It is very sad they are not appreciated or helped.
That's sad. I hope he's able to get some help from the senator for his benefit rights.
I hope he is helped . . . that is all I can say on this as I am seeing red for anger !!!