The Curse of Oak Island

@moffittjc (42999)
Gainesville, Florida
Are any of you fans of the TV show "The Curse of Oak Island" that airs on the History Channel on Tuesday nights? Last Tuesday was the season finale of season 3, but tonight the after-show, "Drilling Down," was on. For all you Walking Dead fans out there, Drilling Down is this TV show's version of the Talking Dead! My son and I have been hooked on the Curse of Oak Island from the moment it first came on three years ago. The show follows a crew of treasure hunters who are seeking to find treasure that has been rumored to have been buried on Oak Island (in Novia Scotia, Canada) hundreds of years ago. Scores of treasure hunters, including President Roosevelt, have tried unsuccessfully over the years to unlock the secrets of the island. Without getting into the debate over whether a secret treasure actually exists, the show is fun to watch as the group of treasure hunters follow clue after clue each week. Have you seen or heard of the show? Do you like it?
Haven't seen or heard of this show but glad you and your son are enjoying it.
@moffittjc (42999)
• Gainesville, Florida
I always like when we find shows to watch together! He's the one who got me started watching it, and now I'm hooked on it as well as him!
@moffittjc It is great that you have shared interests. Much better than if you didn't!
@moffittjc (42999)
• Gainesville, Florida
@JudyEv Obviously, at some point, the interests of my children will drift farther away from my interests as they discover their own identities and independence. My daughter, who will be 17 this year, is already starting to have interests in things that are different from what I like. So believe me, I know to cherish every moment together I can with the kids!
I have not seen and even heard of this TV show, but the title is tempting.
@Platespinner (16491)
Have not seen the show, had not even heard of it actually. But I am familiar with Oak Island and its history -- 14 years in the Canadian school system made sure of that!
@moffittjc (42999)
• Gainesville, Florida
I was curious to see if any of the Canadian myLotters would comment on the show! So, they teach about the island in Canadian schools? What I can't figure out, is there are many islands all around in that particular location. What makes Oak Island so special above all the other islands?
@moffittjc I don't recollect how the first treasure hunters found the initial evidence, it's been a LONG time. I seem to remember that it was some kids that found a spot that looked interesting, started digging and encountered evidence that they were not the first to dig there.
@moffittjc (42999)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Platespinner You are correct in how it all got started! That's a great memory you've got there!
Never heard of it. Sounds fairly interesting. Of course, we have lots of treasure over here, most of it natural in the form of stuff which has been preserved in peat bogs ... but that's because we're an old, old, country! :p
@moffittjc (42999)
• Gainesville, Florida
I think most of the treasure we have over here in the US and Canada is your treasure as well! Well, treasure that was either making its way back to England, or making its way back to Spain. But either way, any treasure we have here is treasure meant to be taken back to Europe that got stolen, shipwrecked, sunken, etc.
Yes, I watch that show sometimes and, it's pretty cool. I'm not so sure they will ever find a treasure though lol.
@moffittjc (42999)
• Gainesville, Florida
I agree with you! I think they are searching for phantom treasure. But it's still fun to watch, because they definitely come up with some pretty interesting theories!
@JESSY3236 (6505)
My mother likes that show. I have seen a few episodes of it.
@VivaLaDani13 (19866)
• Perth, Australia
I think we have that show here but by the sounds of it, I wish we did. Sounds awesome.
@moffittjc (42999)
• Gainesville, Florida
It's pretty fun to watch, although in every episode they try to search a new area, or re-search an existing area, and always come up empty. After three seasons of watching them do this, I'm convinced there is no treasure on the island. But, the lure of buried treasure, and the fact that people have been trying for over 200 years, keeps them gong day after day. I've always wondered where they get the funds to continue their treasure hunt, and then found out that because of the popularity of the show, they now give tours of the island to tourists, and all the revenue from that helps fund their excavations.
@whiteream (3521)
I have never even heard of it but it sounds like something I would like.
@moffittjc (42999)
• Gainesville, Florida
It comes on the History channel on Tuesday nights at 9:00pm EST. They just concluded season 3, so new episodes for season 4 won't come on for quite some time.