Lost stuff and an orange girl.

@xFiacre (10102)
Ireland
That awful feeling of doom passed through my guts as I watched the flow of baggage become little more than a trickle as it  dropped onto the conveyor belt at Delhi airport. Most people had retrieved their suitcases and left, and soon the trickle of baggage dried up altogether, the conveyor belt was switched off, and I was left standing quite alone in the cold, silent hall. My luggage was lost. I had last seen it in Copenhagen the previous day and expected it to be loaded onto a connecting flight in Moscow headed for Kabul but that's where things went awry. That was the night that Soviet tanks headed over the Afghan border and wrong-footed the rest of the world. I was bumped onto a flight for Delhi and my luggage ended up in Karachi. Reporting the loss was a laborious affair. No-one seemed interested other than myself. I one point I caught an Aeroflot employee by the arm and wouldn't let go but he soon have me the slip. My plan was to head out of Delhi, but with no clothes to my name I had to stay and the clothes didn't turn up for another 5 days. But where to stay? More later.
This sounds interesting. I've never lost my luggage, but my son has. Not much fun.
So did you have to wear the same clothes until you got your clothes back.
@xFiacre (10102)
@jstory07 I got the equivalent of $10 from Aeroflot and bought new clothes - India was very cheap back then.
• Budennovsk, Russian Federation
My luggage was lost because of stopover! They said they didn't have time enough to unload the baggage from one flight and load my backpack to another. So I arrived to new country having only hand luggage. Luckily i had wallet with me. I didn't like this experience of my first self-made trip
Five days is a long time to go without your luggage. One case of ours got lost between Heathrow and Dublin - and it contained wedding presents - but eventually it turned up.
@xFiacre (10102)
@judyev Its most inconvenient. I just bought some new stuff with money Aeroflot have me which wasn't a problem in India.
@xFiacre Vince's stuff went missing once and he was given a very generous amount to buy replacement stuff.
@xFiacre (10102)
@JudyEv Well I got US$10 for 5 days without luggage, though I didn't have much to begin with. Easyjet "mishandled" my luggage on a flight to Turin and it arrived back at my house 11 days later without ever having been to Italy.
• Eugene, Oregon
What a dilemma and what an unsettled time for you.
@Morleyhunt (15361)
Five days with no change of clothing could be a bit distressing.
@Fleura (5434)
Did you ever get it back? Will have to read the next instalment...