40 Acts of Stewardship Day 1

@patgalca (14605)
Orangeville, Ontario
Today is the first day of Lent. It is typical for people to give something up for Lent. It is a time of sacrifice. I, however, have always taken it as a time to do more GIVING rather than GIVING UP. This year Pope Francis has actually said as much. He said what you are giving up should be of benefit to someone else. I receive emails from a 40 Acts of Stewardship website and last year I shared their daily emails here (shorter and in my own words and with their permission). I will be doing so again. As we start 40 acts let’s begin by thinking about the people in our lives . . .and the people around our lives. There will be many loved ones in our inner circles who will feel warmly affirmed and cared for throughout the next 40 days. Beneficiaries of coffee, cake, impromptu meals and visits, hand-written notes and even active listening! But what about the people around us? Those you come into fleeting moments of contact with each week? Your neighbour? The shop assistant who offers to pack your bags and counts out your change? The cleaner you pass each night as you leave work? The receptionist in the doctor’s office? You know their face, and perhaps their name, but we rarely know their story. Today, write a list of people and/or organizations you come in contact with. Put that name up where you can see it. Pray for these people and look for the opportunity to perform an act of generosity towards them. You can check out the 40 Acts website at or their Facebook page (simply called 40 Acts).
@Lucky15 (33698)
this is something i look forward to do. act of charity, being generous and be kind to anyone
@patgalca (14605)
• Orangeville, Ontario
We should be doing this all the time, not just during Lent. But we can make more of an effort.
This is a great idea and very practical I think. I do try to acknowledge people all the time but I can always make a bigger effort.