Giving Up Giving Something Up For Lent

@DWDavis (10774)
Pikeville, North Carolina
After reading @BelleStarr's post about what she is doing for Lent I got to thinking about what I'm giving up for Lent this year, because my choice of what to give up is a bit unusual. I have been very good about either giving something up for Lent or making a practice of something spiritual like attending all the Stations of the Cross during Lent or saying a decat of the Rosary every night during Lent. This year I have decided to give up doing something special for Lent. My wife is very puzzled by this and I'm not quite sure I know how to explain it, but I'm taking my cue from Scripture where Jesus said don't stand on the street corner and shout to the world how holy you are and how much of a sacrifice you are making. My something(s) for Lent will present themselves to me in myriad small ways throughout the Lenten period. I'm not sure Pope Francis would approve, but he is not like past Popes in so many ways that I think he'll understand.
I think this is a good idea. I can't stand what I call 'Sunday Christians' who are holier than thou on religious occasions but very much less so the rest of the time.
@DWDavis (10774)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I am grateful they are Christian on Sunday because it gives hope that they may become more Christian the rest of the week.
@DWDavis I wouldn't bet on it. It doesn't seem to work that way.
@DWDavis I can appreciate your hopefulness, however I know many people, especially who call themselves devout Catholics, who use the rituals as a way to uplift themselves to a level of St like stature. I suppose this could be in any group of people, religious or not. But I've always had a problem with those who come across as holier-than-thou ( just ask them ) and have little tolerance for anything or anyone other than whomever lauds them. This is not limited to the Church, but also in the military, and other types of systems such as these.
• Portland, Connecticut
I love this response, it is very St. Therese of Lisieux, that has always pretty much been my approach to being Catholic. There is St Teresa of Avila who is big things and then the Little Flower. Well done DW.
@DWDavis (10774)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
Having joined the Church just 8 years ago I am not well versed on my Saints, but am pleased to have evoked a positive comparison to not one, but two.
• Portland, Connecticut
@DWDavis Well I taught RCIA for many years and am a lifelong Catholic and trust me, these are two really interest especially Therese. I have been reading Saints bios since I was a kid. I belonged to a Saints bookclub that sent me a new book every month.
@DWDavis (10774)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@BelleStarr You and my youngest son would have a great conversation. He spent weeks researching his Saint for the day we joined the Church. For me, the choice seemed obvious. I chose Saint Michael.
I think the Pope would approve of your choice. I was always confused by Lent as a kid when my Catholic friends would talk about it. The Methodist Church does not deal with Lent so no wonder I was clueless.
@DWDavis (10774)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I did not grow up Catholic but many of my friends were and I grew up thinking Lent was a period of time when you gave up sweet snacks and soda because you'd been bad. Over time I learned better and when I joined the Church I asked a lot of questions about it.
I grew up as a Lutheran, and was taught this practice. I always admired my other friends... Or maybe I was jealous of them... When they did not have to do this
@DWDavis (10774)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@CoralLevang I didn't grow up Catholic but a lot of my friends did. I never understood how giving up something for Lent was supposed to help them back then. I just thought it was one more Catholic rule I was glad I didn't have to follow because it seemed my friends invariably had to give up candy, soda, and watching TV.
@pgntwo (21551)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Do you really think that His Holiness the Pope will (a) find out, or know, about and (b) need to acknowledge an individual's Lenten choices? It's only what your conscience can live with, really.
@DWDavis (10774)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I will not take it for granted that the Pope has no interest in my individual Lenten choices though realistically I cannot imagine he would reprove me about his. I've actually given the choice quite a bit of prayerful thought.
@pgntwo (21551)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@DWDavis You have hit the nail on the head - it is all about contemplation, introspection even... a time of reflection and atonement.
I am Catholic, usually we give up meat on Fridays and should fast during Lent, but I am now over 60s, I am no more obliged to fast.
@DWDavis (10774)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
Because of my reactive hypoglycemia fasting is not really an option for me, but I do try to avoid meat on Friday during Lent.
We follow the old-school practice of giving up meat for every Friday, not just during Lent. Also fasting during Lent, but I'm severely under-weight, and with poor health I can't really fast. I try not to snack in between meals, though, and only have meat once a day, except Fridays.
Not my religion but I am always trying to improve me, so although I am a southern baptist, I will give up going to doctors :D
@DWDavis (10774)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I do sometimes wonder if we only need doctors so much simply because they are there.
Is it something like the Bible says that when you pray, simply go into a room and pray in silence? I like that approach, very anti-humble-brag.
@DWDavis (10774)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
It is something like that, yes.
@cherigucchi (4108)
It does occur to me that I have also something to think about this Lent.
I usually don't give up anything for lent, but I think I am more of a Christian than catholic. I just know I love God.
@DWDavis (10774)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
Interesting choice of words. Catholics are the original Christians. Other Christian Churches formed during the Reformation when Luther called the Catholic Church on all the corruption and greed he saw going on. He wanted to fix it from the inside but instead started a movement that led to centuries of war and bloodshed.
@DWDavis (10774)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
There are some differences, especially concerning the Sacraments and the Eucharist, but the basic faith in the Lord and the saving power of Jesus's sacrifice is the foundation of Catholic and Protestant faith's alike.
@simone10 (21671)
• Louisville, Kentucky
I'm not Catholic so I don't give up anything for Lent but I like your idea and do think everyone should do this, no matter what their religion.
@DWDavis (10774)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
Thank you. I appreciate your voice of support.
Sine I was divorced and remarried technically I'm out of the church.
@DWDavis (10774)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I have heard the Pope is working on an encyclical (I think that's what they are called) about allowing people who divorced and remarried to be given absolution and welcomed back into the Church. I'm not sure where things stand on that though.
@DWDavis Interesting, I'll have to look for info.
@connierebel (1571)
We've always given up something specific for Lent, but I think your idea of daily small mortifications is a good one. I don't think there is any specific mandate from the Church, that you have to give up one specific thing, the general idea is penance, and probably many small penances can be more beneficial than one big one. I pray your goal really works out for your spiritual health.
@DWDavis (10774)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I appreciate your prayers. Each day I am finding many small opportunities. I'm sure once we are back to school, they will present themselves on a regular basis.
• Dallas, Texas
I used to just give up meat on Lent. I am Catholic. I sometimes forget this.
@DWDavis (10774)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
We give up meat on Fridays during Lent. I forgot about forgoing meat today. My wife reminded me this evening when I was preparing supper. Though she's been Catholic 5 years less than I, she's much better about such things.