Challenge: The Music of my Youth - Brenda Lee

Bunbury, Australia
@MALUSE has written some very interesting posts on the Music of Her Youth and so far has covered Bill Haley and Wanda Jackson. We are roughly the same age and I remember these artists and their music well. We'd listen to the hit parade on the radio well before TV became standard in every home. The Everley Brothers was another group which I believe is still performing today. Del Shannon, Neil Sedaka, Bobby Darin, Donavon, Dion, Neil Diamond (who performed in Perth recently): so many great artists with groovy songs. Brenda Lee was one of the female artists prominent around this time. She was only 4 foot 9 inches (1.45m) but packed a powerful voice. I'm not sure how to go about posting clips on here, other than my own videos, but if you search for 'Brenda Lee' you can come up any number of her songs. If you're old enough, who do you remember from this era and who was your favourite?
Peggy Lee's alluring tone, distinctive delivery, breadth of material, and ability to write many of her own songs made her one of the most captivating artists...
@WorDazza (10089)
• Manchester, England
As a child in the early 70s I used to play all of my father's old 78s on a little Dansette record player that was passed on to me by my older sister. That's how I came to love Frank Sinatra, The Righteous Brothers, Jerry Lee Lewis, Fats Domino, Roy Orbison, Bobby Darin, Paul Anka and many, many more (blimey I'm starting to sound like a K-Tel advert!!).
The first few you mention were even almost a bit before my time (how I like writing that!) Roy Orbison is just the best. We have a DVD of him in concert with a very young - and so good-looking - Bruce Springsteen - also Elvis Costello, Tom Waitts and backed by k.d Lang, Bonnie Raitt, and Jennifer Warnes. It's a great DVD to watch.
• Uzbekistan
@WorDazza One of the names you've mentioned will feature in my next post. Watch this space!
@WorDazza (10089)
• Manchester, England
@MALUSE Watching with anticipation!!!
• Uzbekistan
Was Brenda Lee the one who could sing 'Fever' so wonderfully? You should include a video here. Find one on youtube and then insert the link under 'images' below the text of the discussion. If I can do this, anybody can!
You are a very persuasive lady!! When I went to 'images', it went to my photo files and I didn't realise I could just paste the link in the box. But after reading your comment, I thought I'd better have another go and now I know how to do it. Thank you for your 'encouragement'. I've added 'Fever' just for you!
• Uzbekistan
@JudyEv Thank you very much! It's Peggy Lee then, not Brenda. I had a record with 'Fever' and other songs once. I don't know where it has disappeared to.
@MALUSE Of course! I should have known it was Peggy Lee. She did a magical version! Great challenge!
@mammots (3271)
In the 50's 60's and the 70's the OPM --- Original Pinoy (Filipino) Music --- was still not the "in" thing to listen to on radio so most Filipinos listened to American music and were great fans of Frank Sinatra, Matt Monroe. I remember listening to Eivis Presley and Beatles songs.
Elvis Presley's official audio for 'Can't Help Falling In Love'. Click to listen to Elvis Presley on Spotify: http://smarturl.it/ElvisSpotify?IQid=ElvisPCHFI...
When we were in Thailand in the 1996, everyone seemed to be singing American music too - and in English.
@mammots (3271)
@JudyEv Our local music industry was starting to make its mark by that time (1996). Most of us Filipinos were starting to appreciate original Filipino music and sound. Here's one OPM (Original Pinoy Music) that's one of my favorite.
Sa piling mo lang, Nadarama ang tunay na pagsinta. 'Pag yakap kita ng mahigpit, Parang ako'y nasa langit. Ngunit ito ay panaginip lamang Pagka't ang puso ko'...
@mammots This is a lovely gentle melody. I like to see countries with their own music and not just relying on others.
This is one of the favorite songs of my husband. I love more or less all the songs of those golden days.
Like you, I like them all. Roy Orbison would have one of my favourites.
@JudyEv It seems that short women have powerful voices, do your remember the French singer Edith Piaf? She was 4 foot 10 (1.47).
@LadyDuck Edith Piaf had a wonderful voice as she say? Wasn't she called the 'little sparrow' or something like that?
She was a country singer first then entered the world of pop.
I don't think I knew that.
@JudyEv I didn't but my husband is the biggest country fan ever an he told me that years ago.
As I recall Brenda Lee had a hit single with I'm Sorry. Am I right or mistaken?
You are right. It was one of her most successful songs.
I guess it is different in each country, I've seen Peggy Lee perform on the many Variety shows that aired in the mid 1960s to 1970s but I didn't actually get into music before the Beatles. I guess I'm what you'd call a hippie, I love rock n roll and if I'm in a listenin mood I prefer the Beatles, CCR, Pink Floyd, Grand Funk Railroad and sometimes Aerosmith then the 1980s brought in Phil Collins, Sting, Journey and a few others.
There have been a lot of great musos along the way. I'm not so keen on the modern stuff but I don't listen enough to get to know it.
Before 1995 I used to listen to the rock stations, mostly it was ok or mediocre then I started listening to those stations that played oldies but they'd only play some of the oldies and never really played the stuff I really liked so I stopped listening @JudyEv Over the past 20 years I've watched videos and when outside I listened to nature, now I don't listen to videos unless I'm trying to go to sleep. Oh, I still listen to nature when outside, unless a neighbor finds it necessary to bombard my ears with their stupid noise.
@rebelann We often listen to the radio in the car. That's usually classical music.
@Morleyhunt (21376)
Like you, I have not attempted to add video clips. As I rarely load them to watch, this might just be a challenge I watch from the sidelines.
Fair enough. But if you read my comment to Malu, you will see that I did manage it! And in @MALUSE's words, if she and I can do it, anybody can!
@Morleyhunt (21376)
@JudyEv One day I may investigate those possibilities. I tend to be a little technologically challenged. As a result there are some things I am slow to try. Also electronics hate me. they invariably fail when i am nearby.
@Morleyhunt I can totally relate. I'll get stuck on something, call Vince, he'll do exactly what I did but it works. It is SO unfair!
@KristenH (25151)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Judy, I think you meant era and not ear. I've listened to the oldies station from time to time for many years. There's been many renditions of that song, too.
Thanks for picking up the era (error). It's a bit late now but I've fixed it.
@KristenH (25151)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@JudyEv My pleasure. Typos do happen.
@FourWalls (15766)
I'm confused -- are you talking about Brenda Lee (who is most famous for "I'm Sorry" and "Rocking Around the Christmas Tree") or Peggy Lee (who is in the You Tube link you provided, best-known for "Fever" and "Is That All There Is")??
I'm not surprised you're confused! I thought my video clip was BRENDA but turns out it's Peggy. I think I'll just go back to bed and start again tomorrow!
@FourWalls (15766)
@JudyEv -- Well, as long as it isn't Pinky Lee or Leapy Lee.
• Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
My favorite was the Temptations during the 70's. They had so many Motown hits. Each song, I could tell you who was singing the lead. Eddie Kendricks and David Ruffin were my first fantasies. When Dennis Edwards replaced David the group was still spectacular, Dennis brought his own flavor to the mix. I think a group is still performing under the name, but don't hear much about them.
I remember them too. There were some great groups as well as all the individual artists.
• Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
@JudyEv. Yep, and the Spinners and Four Tops, too.
I remember all the ones you mention, and I loved that song 'Fever' from Peggy Lee. Did you put that video up in mistake for Brenda Lee?
@JudyEv Agreed.
@JudyEv I am going stupid! I thought I put up Brenda Lee; now I find it's Peggy Lee. No wonder I'm having trouble making sense of some comments. I'm going to delete my first comment to you as it now makes no sense - and didn't before but you know what I mean - I hope.
@fishtiger58 (30319)
• Momence, Illinois
My favorite all time band was Kansas, they were a rock and roll band but used an electric violin in their music. I love that.
Bob Dylan sang acoustically in Perth, Western Australia for half his concert then switched to electric guitar and got booed. This was in the 60s.
@fishtiger58 (30319)
• Momence, Illinois
@JudyEv Wow I never heard that story about Dylan,
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
She wasn't around a lot when I was growing up but I have listened to a lot of her songs on the radio. She really did have a powerful voice to be so small.
It is amazing to see someone eometimes and then to hear their voice. The two don't always seem to fit.
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@JudyEv That is so true, isn't it?
@Varjokani (220)
• Finland
I m too young. Only born at 1994. MOst of the times I find myself thinking that before I was born there were better time and better music. But when thinking of old music in my childhood I rember listening this artist called Katri Helena. She was at Eurovisions at 1965, and I think she still sings. Or I have seen her on tv at least.
Born in 1994? You're only a chicken!
• Finland
@JudyEv I knooow. :D But with music taste of mine being like Kirka - Hetki lyö I feel so much older. And I feel different between me and other chickens who listen Justin Bieber. I even have LP (vinyl) record player in my room that I use to listen old music.
Kirka - Hetki Lyö 7" single Hetki Lyö / On Turha Oveen Kolkuttaa (Scandia) 1967 alunperin The McCoys "Beat The Clock" (1967) written by Richard Gottehrer - J...
@JESSY3236 (7532)
I like that song. Madonna has a remake of that song. When I was younger the only music I listened to was country until I was a preteen.
I always loved country music and still do.
@monalica (117)
• New Delhi, India
yes, we always love and like the old singers ,songs ,their composition ,their sweet voices after all i do not hearthe english songs but my husband like the music of UROPEAN s, ilike my legendry LATA ,KISHORE etc.
I think most people like music of some sort. It is one of those things that really move the soul.
Since i am not from those years , i haven't heard of her music . But i have heard music by Neil Sedaka and like them also .
Neil Sedaka was a great favourite too.
@GreatMartin (6188)
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
I was into Peggy Lee but though familiar and knew the others I was mainly into Jerri Southern, Nina Simone, Carmen McCrae, Sarah Vaughn, Ella, Nat King Cole, etc.
I don't know all these artists, only some of them.
I know of her through my parents I like some of her music.
You realise you're making me feel very old now?