Toast 'n Peanut Butter

@Raelove (16820)
Saco, Maine
I try never to have the same thing for breakfast two days in a row, as I like to have something to look forward to when I get up and am still too sleepy to do much of anything. One of my favorite breakfasts is pretty simple: a peanut butter sandwich. I've never been a huge fan of cold peanut butter 'n jelly sandwiches. But toasting the bread first transforms this simple meal into a little bit of heaven on a plate, and here's how I do it. Working while the toast are still hot, I slather one slice with butter or margarine, and the other with peanut butter. When I put them together, both the butter and peanut butter have melted into gooey goodness, and it is delicious. Sometimes I add a little honey to one of the toasts, and maybe a sprinkling of cinnamon, as it helps to metabolize blood sugar. I have also been known to put a little jam or jelly on, too, and those melt right into the butter and peanut butter. Marshmallow Fluff and Nutella work, too, but I find them both too sweet for my tastes. The trick is to work fast while the toast is still hot. Otherwise, the toppings congeal, and it's not nearly as good. It's a warm melty delicious mess, and I try to have it at least once a week when I really don't feel like cooking eggs or oatmeal. (Public Domain Image)
@simone10 (21675)
• Louisville, Kentucky
I'm not one who can eat peanut butter early in the morning but I do admit that what you describe sounds really good.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
It doesn't always agree with me, but I really like it, so I try to use less if just to get the flavor of it.
@simone10 (21675)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@Raelove I do like peanut butter, just not early in the mornings.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
@simone10 I can relate to that.
I like toast with butter and jelly but no P'btr.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
Peanut butter sometimes gives me heartburn, but I love it. I do like it with just butter and jelly, too, if it's good quality jelly and not too sweet.
@Raelove I can't eat nuts of any kind so that leaves out peanut butter for sure.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
@AbbyGreenhill It works just as well with butter and jam or jelly, as long as the toast is hot.
I have these sandwiches at night for my snack when we are low on money.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
I have had them at night, too, as I can't go to sleep if I'm hungry.
@Raelove ...I like something warm at times before I go to bed.
I like hot toast with butter and jam. I do not like Nutella at all and I am allergic to peanuts.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
Nutella is just too sweet for me.
@Raelove Yes Nutella is too sweet and full of bad ingredients (Sugar, vegetable oil, hazelnuts (13%), cocoa powder (7.4%), non-fat milk solids, emulsifier (soy lecithin), flavour - vanillin).
@fishtiger58 (30380)
• Momence, Illinois
I often toast my bread before having peanut butter. I do so love how it melts.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
Yes, it's very different from just cold peanut butter on bread.
@fishtiger58 (30380)
• Momence, Illinois
@Raelove It is, I can eat peanut butter pretty much anyway including a glop on a spoon. But melted brings it to a whole new level.
@gudheart (12758)
I like it but prefer good old butter on toast.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
I do one toast with the butter, as it just doesn't taste the same without it.
@gudheart (12758)
@Raelove I love butter on toast :D Nothing quite like that in the morning.
I love peanut butter on toast too. I put peach preserves on the peanut butter, slap the bread together, and what a wonderful treat that happens to be.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
I like orange marmalade, too.
I love toast with peanut butter. Especially when its warm and the peanut butter melts off the bread. Yummy!
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
That's the whole point, that warm melty goodness!
Sounds yummy. I just can't imagine peanut butter and jelly. We call 'jelly' jam. Jelly to me is flavoured set gelatine which we might have with fruit and/or ice-cream.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
Jelly is actually only the pressed juice of fruits and berries which is cooked to a certain stage when it naturally gels, or sets. You can use powdered or liquid pectin to speed the process. Jams are, to us, just jelly with solid pieces of fruit in it. Then there are preserves, which are mostly fruit and very little juice, and fruit butters, which are fruit sauces cooked to the consistency of butter.
That's funny. I always want to have the same things for breakfast! Black tea and some slices of crisp bread with butter, quark (a kind of cottage cheese) and self-made jam.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
I know many people who have the same thing every day for breakfast.
It sounds good. I like to have cereal for breakfast and enjoy it.
with that I put jelly on them.Layers of goodie
@Marcyaz (35765)
I just had breakfast but now after reading this I am hungry again. I sometimes have toast in the morning now I will have to put some peanut butter on it.
I just toast my bread and put peanut butter on it and a touch of butter.
@biikiki (203)
• Nyeri, Kenya
I don't mind cold peanut butter on my toast but either it will do for me
I like peanut butter. Rather than steam the bread to freshen it up I think I will toast it. I also add a bit of choco spread.
I love peanut butter on warm toast.....yum!
Oh such a wonderful little tidbit. Peanut butter is one of my favorites. Unfortunately I have to refrain from eating it. The last time I had peanut butter toast (last Saturday), I had such stomach pain that it brought tears to my eyes. I will miss the creamy goodness generously slathered on a nice slice of warm toast.